Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Post by Berry_ »

Honestly, this part really pissed me off. The fact that he got away with trying to assault Maureen was infuriating. His mother cradling a grown man after the attempted assault was also appalling. No matter the challenges he went through as a kid, he was grown and sheltered too much by his mother.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

His past is not enough to say he's blameless, he was clearly at fault childhood trauma or not. However I feel he should have received professional help like seeing a therapist since the incident happened to him. It didn't make any sense leaving him to deal with his trauma like that
Ad_mInistrAtoR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ad-ministrator.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ad_mInistrAtoR »

Clarence's lewdness and his attempted assault on Maureen were acts he committed while in a sober state of mind. He was very much aware of his action. On the subject of forgiveness, I feel that his sudden mental breakdown begs some compassion as he would not remember what he had done nor would he be able to harass Maureen again.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

No, he must not be forgiven because all this time he was not doing anything but till Maureen was alone so in my opinion, that's unacceptable we all experience a lot of difficulties in life that the way it makes you tough, so toughen up Clarence and be a man.
Neha Aslam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-aslam.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Neha Aslam »

I do feel that this part was not taken too seriously. In my opinion, Uncle Clarence was forgiven way too quickly. His traumatic past should not be seen as an excuse. He is a grown man and should take responsibility. If he is not able to take responsibility for his actions, then he should not be allowed to roam around alone or he should be seeing a therapist. Maureen can be said to have had a traumatic past, however, that was not fully seen as an excuse for her actions. Everyone is responsible for their own actions.
Cece Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cece-maina.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Cece Maina »

I think that no matter what he was going through psychologically, Uncle Clarence had no right to try to force himself on Maureen. His trauma was not an excuse at all!
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I think no matter what, our past should not define us and Clearance should be held accountable for his actions and for forcing himself onto Maureen.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

The fact that uncle Clarence went through some sort of trauma in the past shouldn't be used as an excuse for his actions. I, however, believe that forgiveness should be offered despite the circumstances but appropriate action should always be taken.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Someone's past trauma can't excuse their present actions which they undertake fully consciously. Clarence can't be forgiven and the way they overshadowed his actions because of his past is also a mistake. Maureen shouldn't be expected to easily forgive him for causing trauma to her now, on top of already having his overbearing personality intrude in their lives all this while.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

He should definitely not be forgiven!!! He tried to rape Maureen and it was not okay for everyone to treat the matter as lightly as they did.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

Clarence's actions are not excused by his past. Because he had experienced such tragedy in the past, his past should have been the one to caution him. Even while forgiveness is divine, one must confront the consequences of their actions.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I don't think childhood abuse justifies Clarence's inappropriate behavior. Each person is responsible for their own actions. I agree that trauma can affect your psyche, but we are the ones who have the will and can control our insecurities in the end. From a victim to an aggressor is a long way off, and Clarence should not be forgiven for the attempted rape.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

No! Oh my goodness. I don't think he should! I think they should be no strict with him and maybe get him therapy but not make excuses for him because he can harm others. That's what I think.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Definitely not! Under no circumstances whatsoever. What Uncle Clarence did should not be forgiven. Trauma or no trauma, we all make our choices and Uncle Clarence made his. I personally think he should have ended up in jail.
Similoluwa Odumuyiwa
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-similoluwa-odumuyiwa.html
Latest Review: Midnight On Mars by Marie Montine

Post by Similoluwa Odumuyiwa »

:( :( Attempted rape is definitely unforgivable.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”