The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: The Ending

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I was satisfied with the ending. The characters got some closure. Although, I would have liked to see Lena and her kids interactions a bit more. I also liked the shocking revelation that she may have killed her husband.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I think I would have appreciated it if instead of acting like the past few years never happened, Maureen would have acted out, vented out her anger at her parents. After being shunned by her family for marrying a man she loved, and not even giving her the support she needed when he died, she's suddenly fine with everything they did to her because they are her parents. I just couldn't accept it. I think it was a bit too much for me.
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 08:08 I think I would have appreciated it if instead of acting like the past few years never happened, Maureen would have acted out, vented out her anger at her parents. After being shunned by her family for marrying a man she loved, and not even giving her the support she needed when he died, she's suddenly fine with everything they did to her because they are her parents. I just couldn't accept it. I think it was a bit too much for me.
I think if I was in Maureen's place, I would have acted out too. But I think it was Lena who made her understand that she can either spend time holding a grudge or just enjoy the time she has left with her old parents. After all, they may not have a lot of time. I think the book mentions her mother being sick, I can't remember.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Well, somewhere deep in my heart, I don't want the book to come to an end. But I know it has to, so I was satisfied with the ending. I loved the book.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

The ending was great. All the issues were resolved, and there was a happy ending. I did not feel that there were things we ought to have been told about that we weren't told about.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

The wrap up in Kalayla was pretty awesome since neither was it abrupt nor hurried. One issue I had was Maureen's mother. I think the author could have elaborated more on their relationship since at that point the reader can draw out many unanswered questions.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I see that some things in the book has been left to the reader's imagination. While I'm okay with assuming that all things turned out for the best.( Maureen and Rico's relationship, Lena's reaching out to her family, Lena's relationship, acceptance of Maureen's family etc.) I kind of wanted a real presence of Maureen's mother in the story. A conversation or a visit would have been great, because we only ever get Maureen's memory of her mother and a few sentences from her father. (about her mother)
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I guess it was a fine ending. The presence of Maureen's mother would have been nice but might be she was ashamed for what she did. But I will never complain about the ending. It was well thought and written ends. I would not change a thing about it. Every character grew so much.
Aniebiet William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Aniebiet William »

I will say the ending was good, especially with Kalayla's positive turn.Though it would have been nice if Maureen was able to obtain a reunion with her estranged family,what matters was that everything worked out better in the end.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I think the ending was average. I would have loved to see Maureen reunite with her mom and the rest of her family.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I think the book ending was perfect. Although there were some issues that the readers might consider as not completely resolved in the book, however, I think it is just an idea by the writer to make her readers try to complete the plots in their minds. Basically, this book had a classic Hollywood type ending.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by Effie Cherotich »

I wish Maureen would have been given a better ending. I had hoped she and Rico would officially be in a relationship. It was really sad to see her get married at an early age only to become a widow shortly after. She deserved more.
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Shivali Y »

I adored the book, so I honestly didn't even want it to end! However, I did appreciate the ending. It wasn't a happily-ever-after, which would've been an insult to the themes of the book. The author left space for the story to continue growing in our minds, instead of simply wrapping up all the plot points with a neat, final bow tie.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

I think the ending was perfect for the story. Just as ordinary the story was, its end was too. Anything sudden, like Maureen talking with her mom or Lena getting married, would've become predictable and cliché. So the ending was justifiable and did not disturb the premise.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

This ending was unexpected for me There are some issues that remain open, but I appreciate the author's point of view in leaving space for the reader to imagine how things are going, each according to their point of view.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”