Is still happening today?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Re: Is still happening today?

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I do agree with your point that women nowadays are tougher than the women of Lena’s generation. However, I also believe that there are some women who still feel helpless and monsters like Joey exploit their misery. It’s really sad, you know, because maybe these women can’t trust anyone in their family to talk about this and get the support they need. Sometimes, when they do gather enough courage to go to the cops, the cops end up discouraging them as well; that’s the ultimate breaking point.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

AngieOdeh wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 13:36 :eusa-think: Do you think sick men like Lena's husband, Joey, exist? Someone so dark that can mistreat his wife beyond physical abuse. Forcing his wife to go to places like UG's and have to do or at least witness all the abominable things that cross through his mind. I would think that women nowadays are more outspoken and less willing to be treated in that way. What is your opinion?
Unfortunately, domestic violence is still prevalent in the world today, especially in third world countries where the women are conditioned to believe that those are their husband's rights to do whatever they want with them. It's very terrible but we can only hope that with enough education and enlightenment, these women can be helped.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

Sadly, people like Joey exist in our society, and fearlessly they are molesting their families. But I can say safely that its rate is decreasing, and that's a positive sign.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I've had the misfortune of having observed many such examples in my life. The country I belong to is very patriarchal, and hence, most women have no choice but to put up with it. I'm really struggling to understand the rationale behind such men's actions. What makes them do this to another human? Do they derive some measure of satisfaction from these actions? I don't know.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Yes, it is still there. But it is rare nowadays.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I think men like Joey definitely still exist. Even though women are outspoken, it comes with fear and the society judging her. I know women that still stay in abusive marriages until now. Maybe moreso in third world countries where it is worse and the law doesn't help much.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

AngieOdeh wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 13:36 :eusa-think: Do you think sick men like Lena's husband, Joey, exist? Someone so dark that can mistreat his wife beyond physical abuse. Forcing his wife to go to places like UG's and have to do or at least witness all the abominable things that cross through his mind. I would think that women nowadays are more outspoken and less willing to be treated in that way. What is your opinion?
Unfortunately it definitely still happens today and to my opinion it gets worse. You right when you say women these days are more outspoken than those years. Yet we as women, still have the instincts to try and fix something thats broken. Its in our DNA. Also as the years progressed, its like those type of men became more sly with their methods, on how to 'reel' you in to care too much. They normally are the victim of something that either happened in their childhood or something that happened after that. You as woman then have the need to try and take all the horrible away and make it better. However before you know it, you sucked into the vicious cycle and becomes the victim of their messed up life, where you constantly are in the wrong with whatever you try. I was the victim once, fortunately for me, after 15 years of this, I got out and see myself today as a survivor. There is alot of other women thats not as fortunate.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Unfortunately, people like Joey still exists in this modern world. They are so manipulative narcissists out there that want to destroy a woman's mental health. I just hope these women find strength to leave these men because domestic abuse is not a nice thing to put up with
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

I think this kind of thing happens most in relationships or marriages organized by both families the woman is badly treated by the husband because the husband has money and the wife has no choice withevery.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Women may be having a lot of freedom on what to do nowadays but the problem remains. Some still let themselves pass through the torture all in the name of love and fear of rejection.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

They do exist and so many factors enable them. It can be a weak support system around a woman, poverty, all kinds of factors. But they do exist and women should always be on the lookout for such men. Society too. We must look out for signs of abuse. You never know, it could help someone.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

The world has taught us that the more things change, the more they remain the same. There are still men out there who think they own their partners.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

I, unfortunately, would say that people like Joey still exist nowadays. People are still being educated on this topic, which shows that people are still being treated like Lena was. However, I do think that women are starting to stand more up for themselves, which is so amazing! They don't just keep it to themselves as Lena did, but instead, they actually report it, and try to come out of the awful situation they have been put in.
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Sadly enough they exist especially in developing and under developed countries where there don't give a voice for women.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I think people like Joey still exist. There are those who feel entitled to a lot of things. Also, patriarchy is still an issue that people deal with lately.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”