Redemption

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Uniter Oyando
Favorite Book: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uniter-oyando.html
Latest Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Redemption

Post by Uniter Oyando »

What is your viewpoint on the aspect of redemption? Do you think at the end, the characters finally got it? Do you think Lena got redemption from her dark past after meeting with Kalayla and Maureen?
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Yeah, I think so. Since Maureen opened up to Kalayla about the secret she kept from her for days Lena decided that it was best to face her dark past. So meeting with those two really gave her a boost. So I would say yes!
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Yes, because Lena finally can reunite with her child who has not met for a long time. Furthermore, she decided to tell her secret about her dark past which include how Joey died.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

I believe Lena's attempt at redemption was prompted by Kalayla and Maureen's presence. Kalayla reminded her of her twins, and in order to avoid a bad ending, she had to dig up painful memories and open her home and heart to others, which eventually triggered a change. She began wearing colours other than black and even had the courage to make contact with her children and grandchildren, so I will say that yes, she did get her redemption.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

Lena got the redemption she needed. Just from trying to help a teenager from making mistakes to become like family and helping each other overcome fears, sorrows and the pain from the past. Lena's life became more colourful not just by her changing her clothes from black but forgiving herself and opening up to a new life, even falling in love.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Uniter Oyando wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 18:24 What is your viewpoint on the aspect of redemption? Do you think at the end, the characters finally got it? Do you think Lena got redemption from her dark past after meeting with Kalayla and Maureen?
Yes I absolutely do and this is one of the things i really loved about the book. I loved that everyone got a second chance. Lena could finally let go of her demons, reconcile with her sons and reconnect with Mattwo. Maureen was able to reconnect with her family and have another at romance with Rico, and Kalayla got a new family both blood and non-blood relations.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

I feel so. Maureen confronted her past and in the end, got the happiness she deserved. So Lena got inspired to meet her sons and reveal her secret about Joey's death to Mattwo.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I feel there will never be a redemption per se. But, mentally, I think both Maureen and Lena found some degree of peace after confronting their past demons. And the feisty Kalayla sure had an instrumental role in making it happen!

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Well, from the beginning of the book, I already sensed Lena's redemption from her past when she started to get to know and care for Kalayla and the girl's mom. I already knew that her motive was good, to do the right thing she should have done from her past. She could see herself on the two women in the present, her neighbors. Lena, The Old Lady felt like she has a responsibility to look after them. So, yeah, redemption was manifested in the book from the beginning until the end.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Lena got redemption and I love that. She was able to build a relationship with Kalayla and her mom, and also with her estranged two sons left. She did right by connecting back to her sons and her grandchildren
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Lena did get her redemption because she reconnected with her sons and grandchildren and opened up about how her mate deceased.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

Yes, the characters got their redemption. Lena was able to solace in keeping Kalayla under her care and mutual helping hands. Maureen also was able to get back to her family and Kalayla could have two groups of family relations which would consolidate her perpetual serenity.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

Yes everyone did get their redemption because they all confronted their pasts. Lena with Mattwo, her sons and grandchildren, Maureen with her parents and daughter and Kalayla with her grandparents and extended family.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

Redemption is a magnificent thing, and Lena got that. She finally let go of her ugly past and Maureen was reunited with her family.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Andrada Madalina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I think Lena's meeting with Maureen and her daughter was beneficial for her healing. Being with Kalayla and listening to her frustrations and grievances about the neglect of her mother's family made Lena realize how she behaved to her sons as a parent but did not want to bring this aspect to the surface. I can say that Lena got redemption because she had the initiative to rebuild her life and look for her children to recover the lost time she did not spend with them.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”