The theme, Family

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
SoledadCanaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soledadcanaria.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Icon The theme, Family

Post by SoledadCanaria »

One question that could be explored further in relation to Kalayla is the role of family and its significance in the novel. How does the bond between Lena, Maureen, and Kalayla illustrate the concept of family, and how does it differ from traditional notions of family? How do the characters' experiences with family influence their relationships and development throughout the book? In what ways does the theme of family intersect with other themes, such as acceptance, motherhood, and prejudice?
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by revathy sw »

Family is, of course, one of the main themes of Kalayla. Nicholas shows us how family can abandon and hurt you (Uncle Clarence, Maureen's estrangement from her family, Joey's abuse of Lena) and also be your safe zone and happy place. When I see the interactions between the characters in the novel, specifically in relation to how they look after Kalayla, the proverb "it takes a village to raise a child" comes to mind. In this way, the structure of family in the novel is far removed from the traditional nuclear family. In Kalayla, family is an ever-expanding circle of people who help and support each other.
The theme of family also closely touches on the theme of motherhood. Maureen, for me, wasn't a responsible or involved mother. While I can appreciate that she had to look after Kalayla herself, it seemed to me like Kalayla was raising her, not the other way round. There's, I think, a touching parallel between Lena and Maureen as mothers. If Lena hadn't come into Maureen and Kalayla's life, perhaps Maureen too would have had to live with regrets like Lena. However, with Lena's help, I think Maureen manages to avoid many mistakes she otherwise would have done in raising Kalayla. Here too, it is the readiness that Maureen takes to accept the help of a stranger and Lena's willingness to help a petulant, sassy young girl and her mother that is heartwarming. Their connection truly shows that family is not just related by blood.
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”