Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Discussion

For September 2020 we'll be reading Cozy Mystery/Crime books.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Discussion

Post by gali »

For this month, we will read Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Books.
  • Crime: It's a genre that presents crimes, the investigation to the crimes, criminals, and their motives in a fictional way. Most times, suspense and mystery are woven into the book's plot.

• Cozy mystery: This is a subgenre of crime, where sex and violence are toned down or presented in a light/humorous manner. The crime at hand is usually taken place in a small intimate community. These books are considered to be "fun reads" and usually features an amateur sleuth.
Here are some guiding questions:
  • What are you reading/have read for this month?
  • Were there any other genres featured in that book?
  • What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
coepi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by coepi »

This sounds like a perfect excuse to re-read some of the Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers books I loved as a child. I don't think there's any need to recommend Agatha Christie as she's so well-known already, but for anyone that hasn't heard of Dorothy L Sayers and her Lord Peter Wimsey books, I'd heartily recommend them for this month's theme, as they're classic cozy mystery books.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

coepi wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 08:11 This sounds like a perfect excuse to re-read some of the Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers books I loved as a child. I don't think there's any need to recommend Agatha Christie as she's so well-known already, but for anyone that hasn't heard of Dorothy L Sayers and her Lord Peter Wimsey books, I'd heartily recommend them for this month's theme, as they're classic cozy mystery books.
I love Agatha Christie and read all her books.

I have read a couple of Dorothy L Sayers' books and plan to read more of her books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

coepi wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 08:11 This sounds like a perfect excuse to re-read some of the Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers books I loved as a child. I don't think there's any need to recommend Agatha Christie as she's so well-known already, but for anyone that hasn't heard of Dorothy L Sayers and her Lord Peter Wimsey books, I'd heartily recommend them for this month's theme, as they're classic cozy mystery books.
I have read some of Agatha Christie's books but I had not heard of Dorothy L Sayers until you mentioned her. I'll have to check her out, thank you for the recommendation!
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

My introduction to crime novels was through a series called the Gray Whale Inn Mysteries. They took place in a small town and the main character was a well known cook who also owned the Inn. Most of the crimes were ones such as a stolen prize winning recipe or similar subjects. It was the perfect introduction to the intrigue of crime novels with the safety of nothing too implicit.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I love mystery and crime books, because they a such page turners. They are the sort of books that I just will not put down until I have finished it. I read The Clocks by Agatha Christi and I just kept guessing the ending but my theory kept changing and none of them were correct and I loved it so much, I was not expecting it. So yeah, I love mystery and crime books very very much.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)

Return to “September 2020 Genre Discussion”