Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Re: Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

After reading the first book, I thought that Galen was a weak character, just a naive young man who just got lucky. We had no background, no insight regarding his life story.
But, in the next books, he grew on me, and he also becomes more enjoyable in combination with his friends.
So the answer is yes, he deserves it!
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Galen spent the first book simply exploring the area and learning the ropes -- which is to be expected, since he has just arrived to Voulhire and doesn't know anything about it. Unfortunately, this means he spends most of the book on the sidelines. When the plot gets going, it does so without him. Fortunately, Tysz does rectify this. From the second book on, Galen and his companions take increasingly active roles in the story.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I believe Galen, deserves to be the main protagonist as to some extent the bigger portion of the book concentrated on him.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

I don't think Galen is really the main character of the first book. He seems like an easy way to have the readers learn about Voulhire; however, his personality is not very developed. He's just a incredibly grateful and a bit naive guy. I think if he had more of his own opinions without being overly concerned about offending anyone, he would have been more interesting to read about. The one time he has a somewhat strong opinion (when discussing Hillport's simple life with Rowan and Demitrius), he immediately backpedals when the other two disagree with him.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Yes, I think Galen is fit to be the main character. Voulhire is a fantasy land. As readers, we initially don't know abou its customs, culture and politics. Galen is the eye of the reader. He is in the same position as the reader and through his eyes we see the grandeur and greatness of Voulhire. We gets surprised when he gets surprised and we stare in wonder at the great nation with him. We can related with him and he is very likebale. I think that is one of the important attributes, a main character has to possess- the ability to resonate with the readers. And this is the first book of a nine books series and there was a lot of growth and importance to him as the series moves forward.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:30 Hm, since we are introduced to Voulhire through Galen's eyes, it's his journey that we are following. Rowan and Demetrius also appear because of their relationships with him. So, I can say he is indeed the main character among a few more main characters. He is like the protagonist, while the others are deuteragonists.
Galen is a humble naive guy in this book. So, yes! He can maybe throw Voulhire in a light that others can't. But, I think if the story started with Meldorath talking about his betrayal and with Meldorath as the main character, I would've still read the book. That's what making me think maybe everyone of them can be given an equal deuteragonist position.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I find Galen fit for the role of the main character in the book. I really like characters who start from nothing and as you go on into the story you see their character develop into something extraordinary. I find Galen's character exactly like that. He came from a land which knew nothing but war, so he has a hard/tragic past there - perfect if you ask me. Then he comes to this completely different kingdom which he knew nothing about and where its expected of him to kickstart his uncle's business that he left behind for him. He wants no trouble and just wants to start his business but instead, he is thrown into this extraordinary world of magic. He has also got a sidekick who is really willing to help him. He just has to figure everything out and we are going to witness him doing it. In my opinion, this is a perfect recipe for a male protagonist.

Yes, I think that the author used him to explore Voulhire to its depths. The one thing common between us and Galen is that we both are completely clueless about Voulhire. So he is just as curious to know about the kingdom as much as we are. I think this helps us to understand the Voulhire better, but of course, this is just my opinion.

I don't think I can exclusively credit Galen with the overall rating of the book. There are others too, like Lord Meldorath and the Lord of Hillport and Rowan, whom I would like to credit as well. But one thing for sure, that Galen's character does not tamper with the flow at all. If anything, it only adds up to the ratings.

A change in this characterisation would have entirely changed the tone. But honestly, I prefer the way the author has portrayed him. I don't think I would have liked Galen as much if it had been any other way.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

I think Galen is the main character of the book because through him we are able to see Voulhire from his perspective and his enthusiasm makes the story enjoyable.
the cover of the book speaks it all drawn is a young boy who explores the land of Voulhire and through his adventure and innocence we get a better perspective of the book.
anw516
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anw516.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by anw516 »

I think that Galen doesn’t fit the typical expectations for a main character of a fantasy universe. He’s so innocent since he hasn’t seen the darkness of Voulhire that the audience gets to see through the eyes of other characters. While this doesn’t really offer the typical main character perspective, I think it gives a lot of potential for a really great character arc throughout future books!
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

rahilshajahan wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 02:00
Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:30 Hm, since we are introduced to Voulhire through Galen's eyes, it's his journey that we are following. Rowan and Demetrius also appear because of their relationships with him. So, I can say he is indeed the main character among a few more main characters. He is like the protagonist, while the others are deuteragonists.
Galen is a humble naive guy in this book. So, yes! He can maybe throw Voulhire in a light that others can't. But, I think if the story started with Meldorath talking about his betrayal and with Meldorath as the main character, I would've still read the book. That's what making me think maybe everyone of them can be given an equal deuteragonist position.
I really like that idea of having Meldorath as the main character. I think he would be more interesting of a main character to me than Galen because he has some baggage and grudges to deal with.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 07:38
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:28 Is Galen fit for the position of the main character? Does the author use him to explore Voulhire to its depth? Can you attribute his character traits to the overall rating of the story, or does he tamper with its flow? Could a change in his characterization have caused a switch of the author's tone?
I think Galen is the best character to see Voulhire through. His newness to the place is advantageous for us readers who are also new to this world, but with wonderful contrast because of his difficult background. Most readers view fantasy as an escape, but to Galen, the fantastical country of Voulhire was an actual escape from a much worse existence. He is naive, but still intelligent. He seems separate from Voulhire, or most places really. As an unadulterated character in a land full of temptation, vice and so much potential, he gets to discover who he really is outside of his previous kill-or-be-killed existence. As a result, he brings out both his own depth and that of Voulhire.

I think his personality affects the ratings positively, because he's a guy who's just so easy to root for, especially when put together with Rowan and Demetrius.

A change in his characterisation would definitely have caused a switch in the tone, because of all the characters, he is the only one who, like the reader, sees the awe and novelty of Voulhire. In the hands of any other character, Voulhire is just another place filled with all sorts of people (mostly bad ones too).
I think you've explained it perfectly! Compared to some other characters, Galen might seem boring or unimpressive, but that's exactly what makes him relatable. Had the story been told only from the lords' and mages' perspectives, it would've been harder for the reader to truly connect with and experience Voulhire.

He's just a naive refugee in the first book, but his growth becomes noticeable as you progress through the series. I think the book wouldn't feel as approachable without him.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 10:13 I believe that Galen is righteously the main character, because he's a newcomer to Voulhire, and so are we, the readers. We follow the main events through his eyes, and we see the kingdom for the first time from his perspective as well. In this case, his experience is quite priceless to get to know Voulhire better. :)
Ahhh. I had thought of this! I honestly thought he was just okay as a main character. But when looking at it from this perspective, that like us he is also a newcomer to Voulhire, he does seem to fit better. Maybe that's why he just seems to be viewing everything that is going on from afar and isn't really doing anything much to push the plot along. I just need him to get more interesting now.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

azidy wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:03
Dentarthurdent wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 07:38
I think Galen is the best character to see Voulhire through. His newness to the place is advantageous for us readers who are also new to this world, but with wonderful contrast because of his difficult background. Most readers view fantasy as an escape, but to Galen, the fantastical country of Voulhire was an actual escape from a much worse existence. He is naive, but still intelligent. He seems separate from Voulhire, or most places really. As an unadulterated character in a land full of temptation, vice and so much potential, he gets to discover who he really is outside of his previous kill-or-be-killed existence. As a result, he brings out both his own depth and that of Voulhire.

I think his personality affects the ratings positively, because he's a guy who's just so easy to root for, especially when put together with Rowan and Demetrius.

A change in his characterisation would definitely have caused a switch in the tone, because of all the characters, he is the only one who, like the reader, sees the awe and novelty of Voulhire. In the hands of any other character, Voulhire is just another place filled with all sorts of people (mostly bad ones too).
I think you've explained it perfectly! Compared to some other characters, Galen might seem boring or unimpressive, but that's exactly what makes him relatable. Had the story been told only from the lords' and mages' perspectives, it would've been harder for the reader to truly connect with and experience Voulhire.

He's just a naive refugee in the first book, but his growth becomes noticeable as you progress through the series. I think the book wouldn't feel as approachable without him.
I agree that Galen coming to Voulhire as a newcomer makes the introduction to Voulhire fairly smooth, but I think that he is a rather boring character in the first book since he is one-dimensional. I think his lack of history or feelings about his hometown or new companions other than gratitude lessens his relatability since he seems somewhat fake. I do agree, though, that having the main character be a commoner who knows little about the worlds of politics and magic does make him relatable. His character, however, would have been more interesting if his growth had begun in the first book.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I think Galen as he is right now he is unfit to maintain the position of the main character. From my perspective he seems like a pathetic little boy that sees the world for the first time, but thats not enough we were introduced into so much more interesting and complex characters. But I also think that Galen isn't as good and innocent as he has made everyone believe, none survived a war with his hands complety clean.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:48 I think Galen as he is right now he is unfit to maintain the position of the main character. From my perspective he seems like a pathetic little boy that sees the world for the first time, but thats not enough we were introduced into so much more interesting and complex characters. But I also think that Galen isn't as good and innocent as he has made everyone believe, none survived a war with his hands complety clean.
I agree. Galen's personality seems to be like a child's, even though he's an adult. I agree that it would be impossible to survive the Isles of the Princes and not lose your innocence. Galen's good/almost perfect attitude toward Voulhire makes him less believable as a character to me. I hope his personality and his past are better developed in future books.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”