Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the October 2020 Book of the month, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.

* You need to read the book to comment.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

I found the book very interesting and gave it full ratings. Even though there were a few things I disliked, the characters and plot are great. I especially liked how Tysz is able to handle so much characters without losing momentum. It's a must read for fantasy fans especially those that like series.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It proves that you don't need to reinvent the wheel to write an interesting saga as this is a classic form of fantasy with a medieval flavor. I loved the characters as Matthew Tysz gives a lot of details about their actions, moods, feelings with a great developments. Even minor characters are very much alive. It made me want to go on with its sequels.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I absolutely loved this book and could not put it down! The story flowed so easily and the author writes in such a way that the reader is immediately immersed in his world. Each character is exceptionally well-developed and the world building is truly excellent. I will definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy, or even just a generally well-written book. :techie-reference:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I'm trying to read a science fiction novel in a series, and We are Voulhire seems a good fit for me. I'm curious in magics, mages, and kingdom politics story.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I gave this book a perfect rating. It was professionally edited, and I had only one issue with it. I didn't like the fact that Galen only had little to no effect in the major conflict; however, it is understandable since the book this serves as an introduction to the series and focuses on world-building and character development. I also extremely enjoyed reading the first few pages of the novel. The beginning is entrancing. I am extremely awed by the author's captivating writing.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I have read all the six book in the series. I gave the first installment a full four star rating. The opener was filled with intrigue and invited the readers to find more about Galen, Rowan and Meldorath. These three characters, with a few more, are the most pivotal characters in the series.

I liked the writing style of Tysz the most. He has a way of putting the peak of the action towards the end of the book and this book is no exception. There wasn't anything to dislike except for a few intriguing and mysterious characters who were like shadows the entire time of the book. The book overall is an enjoyable read.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book in what is to be an amazing 9-part series. My overall opinion on this book is that it is an intriuging and interesting read. It is an epitome of the perfect way to start series; introducing the main characters and generally setting the base of a great story.
I particularly liked the characterization of this book, and the diction employed by the author. I also liked how realistic and believable this book was (despite being a work of pure fantasy). In my review of this book, I gave it a 4-star rating, I think that is an indication that there's nothing I disliked about this book (except probably, the font size). I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking out for a good series.
This is not a standalone book (so everything was definitely not made clear in this installment), the book ends at a lot of cliffhangers.
I'm very excited that this book made it to be BOTM, I think it's a well-deserved honor. Congratulations to the author.
Live and let live, baby.
ankit252
Currently Reading: Unhappy Warrior: the Life and Death of Robert S. Starobin
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankit252.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by ankit252 »

This book gripped me from the beginning. The build up was slow. But Tysz switched between different characters, showing different perspectives. The style of narration was new for me. I had a feeling that Galen was the sole narrator who recorded works of others (although after reading other books in the series, this is probably not the case).
I loved the air of mystery and subtle hints that something was not going right. The only issue I had with this book was that Galen and his friends had no part in the big picture, and also the fact that it ended too quickly. But as a series-starter, the book set an intriguing premise. I gave it 4 stars on my review.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have read this book and I gave it a full rating. I had issues with the slow-pacing in the beginning, but I found the plot line incredibly promising. The author’s writing style was praise-worthy. The world-building was exceptional. I hardly noticed any significant errors. This book was full of suspense, fantasy, and drama that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

My rating to this book was 4 out of 4 stars. I loved how the plot unfolded and the characters were really promising. The book left me intrigued enough to continue reading the series, which I did with great pleasure :) Overall, it's an outstanding premise to the series.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I loved Matthew Tysz's style of writing very much. He uses changing viewpoints well without making it boring. There wasn't a single viewpoint that made me dislike it. It's an excellent start off to the series I feel. The story progressed slowly but it was pretty interesting. I especially like how the author will combine magical, physical, and other aspects of the world and bring it all together.
However, I gave it a 3 star rating as I found plenty of errors in it. And seeing as not many people found it as such, I'm really lost as to why..........
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I think the book is really interesting and a good blend of historical and science fiction. Galen's journey from a desolate and desperate world to Voulhire is quite touching and it is easy to feel his emotions and joy as he explores the new lands. I love the mystery and power behind Lord Meldorath and his motives. Additionally Galen's two companions are not as forthcoming and also have their own stories to hide. I think this is clever and sets the book up for the next sequel. What I didn't like is how at times the stories disconnected from chapter to chapter, it took some effort to get back to the flow.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

I taged this book 4 out of 4 stars. Firstly because I was ultimately glued to its pages. And secondly because I was eager for the next book. I didn't like what happened to the people of Hillport but nevertheless I still enjoyed. Yep, I will definitely recommend. It's too unique, a story.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think this is an impressive start to the series. I can't give it four stars, though, as I counted more than ten errors. The map can be a shade lighter, too, for better readability. But I hope to follow the series to the end. Cheers, Mr. Tysz!

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”