Inheritance! What About It?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Re: Inheritance! What About It?

Post by Ndiviwe »

I think Galen's uncle was a very lonely man and I'm sure it hurts to feel lonely when you know you have family out there. I think it would have been beneficial for Galan's uncle to find him before his death, so that they could be able to get to know each other and he would have died with no regrets. If they had known each other earlier Galen would been saved from his life of poverty and hardship in the Land of the Princes.

The topic of inheritance should not be discussed with the beneficiaries before death of the benefactor. Doing so can result in disagreements as some people would feel like they deserve more than others. In the case of Galen and his uncle, letting Galen know before death wouldn't have resulted in an disagreement because Galen was the only beneficiary, and Galen is not a greedy person.
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

I don't think it would have been easier to track down Galen if he knew about the inheritance. Galen seems to be very humble and respectful. He was honored that his uncle chose him. He did not question it, and he went with the flow and took responsibility for his inheritance. It would have been nice to know his uncle and his wishes before his death, but Onita had difficulty finding Bray. He did not make it in time to see his uncle alive.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I feel like it's good that Galen found out about his uncles inheritance after his death. It would have been better if they had known each other before his demise as he could have prepared Galen for the role he was going to have without telling him about the inheritance.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I don't think there was really any possibility of Galen's uncle finding him before he died. It was a difficult process to find Galen and get him out at all.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Birthright06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birthright06.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Birthright06 »

The inheritance thing came so sudden, that I donvt know if Galen is really worthy of it. I mean, his uncle work on his forge for years. And I kind of hoping I xan see something about Galen being worthy of the inheritance (but it's tok early for that). And where are his uncle's workers anyway? I doubt he forges everything on his own.
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

That can be a really hard question depending on the dynamics of the family in question. In a family with good relationships, I would say it is probably best to have a discussion with one's heirs ahead of time if the estate is somewhat complex. I hate to see families fighting over inheritance, it shows that the love of money or property is greater than their love for their own relatives. At the same time, everyone is going to die at some point, and issues of inheritance are a part of life. I think each elder has to decide for themselves what they should tell their heirs ahead of time, based on the relationships in their own family. Certainly if Galen knew he had an inheritance to receive, that could have been helpful.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I think Galen's uncle just wanted to give somebody in his family a better life. He wanted to leave his money to somebody related to him. He hoped that they would take over his business and live a good life.
Yes, we know that he didn't know if he had any family left, but he was hopeful for someone. I think that's normal. If a person lived a life and had no heir, they would reach out to their own family.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:26 Squabbling over inheritance isn’t welcoming, and so is discussing it with the people you love. It is almost implying that they are going to die. Should Galen’s uncle have told him about the inheritance before his demise? Should inheritance be a topic raised by families while they are still alive? Could it have been easier to track down Galen if he had known of his inheritance in the years before his uncle died?
I think that Galen's uncle would love to tell him personally about his inheritance. However, Galen Onita as mentioned in the letter was overcame with cowardice to reach out to his estranged family in the Princes. If he had reached out sooner, he might had been able to see Galen before his death. On the other note, I think that talking about inheritance shouldn't become a taboo since it is better to hear what you'll be inheriting from the benefactor itself. As well, it would've been less difficult to trace Galen if he was expecting to get ship to Voulhire. Unfortunately, he hadn't even met his uncle once.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

Galen's uncle didn't have a choice when he left the Land of Princes. Even now, when he got to knew that his nephew is still alive he tried his best to get him out of that place. He didn't want him to go through all that he suffered. But he was a little bit late as he couldn't see his nephew before dying. But the inheritance left by him was enough for Galen to know that his uncle truly loved him.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Its good for relatives to discuss inheritance isssues before they die to avoid misunderstandings that may result after their demise. I think Galen's uncle wanted to try his luck by finding his nephew because he was scared to contact his family.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

There are cultural stigmas surrounding death and preparing for one's eventual departure from this world. But I think that it is important to discuss a will and inhertance prior to someone's death. Doing so can prevent a lot of hassle later on. In Galen's case, he could have learned a bit about his blacksmith trade while his uncle was alive, instead of finding out after the uncle's passing.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

The book states that the uncle was excommunicated from his family, so there really was no cheap way to inform Galen of his inheritance before the uncle's death. The uncle needed to find a living family member to leave everything to when he realized that he was dying. That is why the uncle spared no expense to find Galen and bring him to Voulhire. I feel like everything happened in the order that it needed to happen.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I believe Galen's uncle would have told him about the inheritance if he could have found him in time to do so. As for real life inheritances, that depends upon the circumstances.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I think every word written by Galen's uncle in the letter was true. He wants to do something for his abandoned family. I liked the book his uncle give to Galen. It reminds me of the magical book from harry potter. Feel bad for his uncle. He did not even get the chance to meet Galen.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

Generally speaking, I think inheritance is something that should be discussed within the family. It is not an easy topic, but having things sorted out will ultimately be much easier for all the parties involved.
Speaking about Galen's uncle, I think he made steps to find Galen only after he was sure he was dying. The magical book is definitely the most important item that he passes on to his nephew. I am sure we will learn more about Galen's uncle in the future parts.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”