Inheritance! What About It?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Re: Inheritance! What About It?

Post by Lhammamy »

In some cases it's true, but I don't think in the circumestances of Galen and his uncle it would have happened in any other logical way. And from another side, although Onita was a big motivator for the story, but he doesn't fit in as a living character.. he should have died so Galen can take his place.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

If Galen knew of his inheritance long before his uncle died, it wouldn't have set the story off. If he knew earlier, he would have no reason to stay in the Land of the Princes. Having Galen know later about his inheritance allowed Tysz tell the story of Galen's journey as he discovered Voulhire.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

After understanding why Galen's uncle could not go back to the Lands of the Princes,I believe that what he did was the best he could have done. At least he made the effort to track down Galen when he realised he did not have much time left and have arrangements in place for his property to be handed down seamlessly. In other scenarios, I believe it's best to discuss such issues beforehand, especially if you are still in close proximity to your loved ones.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Death is not discussed in an average family. I have seen inheritance issues cause a whole family to be estranged. Particularly polygamous families. Anytime a rich, old person is very sick, you'll see the gloves come off. Even though I don't know about Galen and his uncle because I haven't read the book, I still think Inheritance should be sorted out before death. As for me, investing heavily in the life of my children and helping them to kickstart their wealth building will be what I'm going to pass on.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

_Bokeh wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 04:06 After understanding why Galen's uncle could not go back to the Lands of the Princes, I believe that what he did was the best he could have done. At least he made the effort to track down Galen when he realised he did not have much time left and have arrangements in place for his property to be handed down seamlessly. In other scenarios, I believe it's best to discuss such issues beforehand, especially if you are still in close proximity to your loved ones.
"If you are still in close proximity to your loved ones." That's the key phrase. Galen's great-uncle had moved to a different country to escape the war, and he had lost contact with his family. He thus had no way to discuss his property or last wishes with anybody. IIRC, he didn't even learn of Galen's existence until he was old and dying. When he somehow learned that he still had living family, he hired Rowan to serve as a go-between and contact Galen.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I don't think that there is a right or wrong time to discuss an inheritance, particularly if there's only one left to inherit. In Galen's case, he received an opportunity to escape a life of poverty and begin a pretty amazing journey for which he's very grateful. Galen's Uncle did leave him the book that appears to allow Galen to get to know his Uncle in a pretty personal way, maybe even better than if he met his uncle while he was near to death.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

No, I don't think telling how much of his fortune belonged to Galen was necessary because Galen was the only heir to his great uncle's fortune and so there wasn't a need to part it. And the other points made in the other comments are super valid as well.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I am also skeptical about discussing inheritance when the person whom everything will be inherited from is still alive, but I think Galen's uncle's case is different, as only the subject of inheritance made it possible for Galen Bray to leave his homeland.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I think people need to state their wishes before they pass on. Whether others dispute it or not, shouldn't really matter. It is much better for people to know where they stand and pose questions when they still have the opportunity to communicate. In Galen's instance, it would have been better if he knew before his uncle's passing. Maybe he would have learned a lot. However, given the strained relations between the uncle and his family, I find his wishes and execution justified.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think Galen's uncle did try to reach him before, but his life circumstances didn't allow him. He might have realized that Galen and him could use his inheritance while he was still alive, but Galen being in a foreign land wasn't the easiest obstacle to overcome. I think it was tragic that he passed aways so close to him being able to reunite with Galen. However, I don't think that, inside the narrative, it could have been done in another way.
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

Well, squabbling over inheritance is very likely because this is something one gets just by virtue of related.
In Galen's grand uncle case, I think the prospect of mortality provided him the courage to try to look for heirs in his family. Since he is said to have left under a cloud of shame imminent mortality might have resolved him to get things sorted. For Galen the nephew, not knowing beforehand helped to prevent his sense of entitlement and appreciate the hard work his uncle put in.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Inheritance can be a difficult topic; however, death is inevitable, and it would make resolving estates and wills easier if the beneficiaries knew about it beforehand. Galen's uncle would have gladly discussed his inheritance with Galen if he had been able to track him down in time. Being estranged from that side of the family, Galen's uncle was unable to find Galen before his demise.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I do think families should raise this topic; as unpleasant as it is, we should prepare for the future.
I think if Galen knew about his uncle when he was alive, he probably would have joined him, and taken care of him.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

I believe that talking about inheritance before one's death shouldn't be dreaded, especially when one's family members are open-minded. When we accept that death will definitely come, whether or not we avoid the topic, there will be no need to avoid it.
From the book, Galen's uncle started searching for him when he knew of the state of his health, and considering the time it takes to search for someone in another land, he died before he could meet Galen, and I think this is justified.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Death is inevitable and a natural part of life. Having open discussions about ones wishes for their possessions and their body is something that shouldn’t be scary or morbid. I think Galen’s uncle did the best he could given the circumstances.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”