Inheritance! What About It?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Zubayydah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubayydah.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Re: Inheritance! What About It?

Post by Zubayydah »

It is necessary in some cases. Some parents can tell how their children will handle it, and act accordingly. I think that is why he did it.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

I think Galen's uncle lived in fear of being sent back to the Land of Princes, which is why he did not contact anyone in his family while he was alive. I do agree, though that it would have been easier for Galen if he had been called for before his uncle died.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

This is a gap left unfilled in this book. I wondered why Galen's uncle didn't inform him before he died. I think he should've done that. It would probably make things a little easier for Galen.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

RachelEmmanuel wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:41 I think Galen's uncle lived in fear of being sent back to the Land of Princes, which is why he did not contact anyone in his family while he was alive. I do agree, though that it would have been easier for Galen if he had been called for before his uncle died.
Galen Onita's letter made it sound like he was worried that his family would reject his offer of help. Apparently he did something horrible that made his family cut ties with him. Since he left his family on bad terms, he was afraid his family still held a grudge against him. I am curious what it was that Onita did, and I hope the series will mention it at some point.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

It was my understanding from the book, the uncle did try to find Galen before he died. He died before he told him due to the long search.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

while deciding on inheritance is key in most society's before once demise. I would also agree that Galen isn't really entitled to anything from Onita
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:26 Squabbling over inheritance isn’t welcoming, and so is discussing it with the people you love. It is almost implying that they are going to die. Should Galen’s uncle have told him about the inheritance before his demise? Should inheritance be a topic raised by families while they are still alive? Could it have been easier to track down Galen if he had known of his inheritance in the years before his uncle died?
I think it should be a topic discussed by families. It's a grim subject, I get it. But it makes things easier later on. While families are grieving, they shouldn't have to deal with other issues on top of that.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I value relationships more than money. I wished Galen met his uncle alive. I also think that he would have still come to visit his uncle even without knowing about the inheritance. Galen seemed like a good person, besides he wanted to get away from the violence in the land of the princes too.
I prefer the use of a will to let people know of their inheritance. It will reduce squabbles among heirs.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

In this case, I think Galen's uncle didn't know of an existing heir until he was in need of one. He hadn't realized that his family was still alive in the Lands of the Prince's and therefore didn't make any contact until he needed to. I believe that if he was a little more interested in the affairs of his family, he would have been able to avoid the long and agonizing search for his nephew, and may have even spared some of the heartache and pain that the boy went through. In my personal opinion, I don't like the idea of wills but I know it is a must if you don't want everything to go to the state. I think a will should be set up by yourself, and no one should know the contents of it until you die.
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The inheritance is, however, a personal preference issue. I think Galen's uncle wanted to meet him and connect with him. But he could only leave his business and belongings, unfortunately.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Inheritance is a crucial thing and should be done before one dies this prevents family squabbles. In our case Galen uncle Onita was considered an outcast in the land of princes , so his chances of getting in contact with his relatives was minimal considering the immigration policy and means of transport. However him leaving his inheritance to Galen is justified and very understandable.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Inheritance can be a tricky thing, especially when you have greedy family members. I think if an inheritance isn’t discussed before death than the allocating of items is more genuine as no one has the opportunity to sway the writer of the inheritance. If it is discussed you risk the interference of people who want more or believe they deserve more than they were given. I don’t believe there is a right or wrong answer.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

No, he shouldn't have told Galen.
Yes, inheritance should be a topic of discussion.
It was wise of his Uncle to be quiet about the inheritance, you never know those with ulterior motives.
Astrolorraine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrolorraine.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Astrolorraine »

In general, I would say it's always preferable to discuss those things as a family. Everyone is going to die, not talking about it isn't going to prevent it from happening. But in this story, Galen's uncle didn't know about Galen until late in his life, so it's understandable that they didn't have that conversation.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I have no problems with discussion of inheritance when the person is alive. Also, Galen's uncle was quite an isolated man and it was a struggle to contact Galen in the troubled lands. These reasons can be attributed to him not contacting Galen earlier though it could've been easier for Galen to carry forward Onita's legacy had that been the case.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”