Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

The first book of the Voulhire series portrays Galen as a main character. His story is written in the first point of view. This signifies that he will play a very important roles.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Galen is too naive for a 28-year-old due to his upbringing and life experiences.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:28 Is Galen fit for the position of the main character? Does the author use him to explore Voulhire to its depth? Can you attribute his character traits to the overall rating of the story, or does he tamper with its flow? Could a change in his characterization have caused a switch of the author's tone?
Although he wasn't portrayed like a leading protagonist in this book, I have high trust that we'll soon see him influence the aspects of the book. Considering his nature and background, he is fitting to be the main character and have so much to prove about himself. His identity as a Voulhire's refugee will induce deeper sentiment from me if he'll also be the one to save Voulhire from its utter end.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I think Galen is a good candidate to be the protagonist of this series. Initially, he seems unassertive but it's because he is too busy paying attention to what the better-informed people around him ask him to do. He acts according to what he feels is right in a given situation. He avoids conflicts as he has seen too much of it in the Lands of the Princes.

I'll never forget how he took a stand when he saw that some miners were not being treated humanely at Alcovia. He raised his voice for those miners and demanded that they be treated with respect.

The readers can relate to Galen because they are new to Voulhire just like him. I think this works well with the flow of the story.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Definitely! I like Galen's naivety and how he is the only person who is not trying to take advantage of others. He has the potential to turn out to be ones of the best main characters, but he'd have to get a little smarter and not trust everyone blindly. He actually gives me Jon Snow vibes and Lord Eldus came across as Ned Stark. Some parts of this book seem similar to Game of Thrones.
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

I haven't read the rest of the books in the series, but I did find myself questioning whether Galen was much of a main character in the first book. It seems like he mostly just follows Rowan and goes along with what other people tell him rather than making many decisions for himself. Honestly, I was more interested in Lord Eldus' story. I think if Galen took more action, I would have liked him better. However, he is an interesting character to see Voulhire through since he's a foreigner and he's learning all about it at the same time as the reader. It makes it so much easier for us to understand the world the series takes place in, and we can relate to Galen since he's in the same boat as us.
vidhya s v
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhya-s-v.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by vidhya s v »

I think that the author made Galen too much naive and innocent in the first book. I haven't read the other books in the series and hence my opinion is solely based on the first book. There isn't much development in Galen's character but King Wilhelm, Maido, and Meldorath seem interesting characters to me. All things said I do like the impartial point of view that Galen provides us of Voulhire.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I think Galen's outsider perspective makes him a good everyman, but then again, all the events in Soulhire and Hillport were told through the eyes of Voulhirians and I wouldn't say it made much of a difference. Galen felt pretty tangential in this book but I assume he will go on to be a very major player in later books. His journey did still introduce us to several Voulhire towns, as well as allow us to be introduced to the main religion
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I feel that the author made Galen the main character just to be able to make the readers familiar with this alternate universe. Apart from that I see no reason for him being the main character since Lord Eldus has more character and more storyline too
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Galen definitely deserves to be the main character. He is the reason we get that backstory about the Emperor of Lullabies and the war-torn Lands of the Princes. Besides that, he's new in Voulhire, and the more he learns, we learn too.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

There were so many characters in this story, so it's easy for Galen to get lost among them. But yes, I do believe that readers are touring Voulhire along with him. I don't mind his naive outlook on life. I think we were all naive at some point in our lives. I would leave his character as is.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Michael kane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kane.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Michael kane »

Yes he fits the bill perfectly as he is originally not from Voulhire, his point or perspective perfectly describes his experiences in this foreign land, and his naivety is afresh breath of air in an otherwise cruel world.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

Galen is the first person narrator so he is the one that the author chose as his protagonist. We cannot argue about it. The author will reveal more in the rest of the books in the series.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I think Galen deserves to be the main character. It's for two reasons. The first is his pure heart. He respects people and doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The second reason was his experience of war from the land of the prince. The land of the prince is at war since he was eight years old. He has seen the face of the war. The people of Voulhire are not familiar with big wars and chaos. Meldorath is going to shock them all, but Galen will cope most quickly.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I think Galen is a pretty good character. He is interesting to read about and honestly, the story needs his kindness that comes from his personalty in a world that is revolving around war and bitter anger.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”