Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
kasfy_allama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Re: Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Post by kasfy_allama »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 10:13 I believe that Galen is righteously the main character, because he's a newcomer to Voulhire, and so are we, the readers. We follow the main events through his eyes, and we see the kingdom for the first time from his perspective as well. In this case, his experience is quite priceless to get to know Voulhire better. :)
Couldn’t agree more. In this book, we could say that Galen was just an ordinary man who just moved to Voulhire as a blacksmith-to-be. He has no connectivity at all with the kingdom but he belongs to Magnum Caleum as he moved there. But through his humble, warm-hearted, sensitive, and innocent traits, the author showed that he was one of a kind, who could be great in the future.
Pinning_RJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinning-rj.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Pinning_RJ »

On reading only the first book, I can not say whether he deserved that or not. But it can be fairly stated that choosing him was a wise choice because he's a new comer and so are the readers. Enabling to view it from a new unknown eye would also be insightful to us readers.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

I think Galen is fit tobe the main character of the book as he is the one who migrated to Voulhire and we can see the place with his perspective.
Weird_Illustrator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weird-illustrator.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Weird_Illustrator »

I think he fits the role because he's the "new one" and with that the reade can identify the most. He's basically the one who shows us the world through his eyes.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I guess he plays a bigger role in the rest of the books in the series. He didn't feel much like a main character. I hope that changes with the next book.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Galen does seem to fit as the main character to me since this is only the first book. Although innocent and naive, I think he will grow throughout the next books. I believe the author does use him to explore Voulhire to its depth and his character helps us understand Voulhire's activities and nature from a fresh perspective.
Muladan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Inside the Mind of a Successful CEO
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muladan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Muladan »

In this book, I don't think Galen as a main character is in the spotlight. The book focuses much on the king, the new lord of Hillport, and Meldorath. I think one of them is more fit to be main character in this book.
Lost Souls world
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-souls-world.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lost Souls world »

I think Galen’s character helps us a lot in knowing Volhire. As he is a new person in the place and the way he is exploring things it’s helpful in knowing more about the place. If a chance happens in his character it will surely impact the story.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:30 Hm, since we are introduced to Voulhire through Galen's eyes, it's his journey that we are following. Rowan and Demetrius also appear because of their relationships with him. So, I can say he is indeed the main character among a few more main characters. He is like the protagonist, while the others are deuteragonists.
I agree with your view. The title in itself points to a new arrival and no-one else apart from Galen has been introduced to Voulhire.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

I think a question like this shouldn't be put on the first book in a series, since this is only the introduction to We Are Voulhire as a whole. Sure, Galen's character didn't have as much weight towards the plot in A New Arrival Under Great Skies as others did so far, but that could change in the next installments. It's too early to be judging the character's development quite yet.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I too had the same question creeping in to my mind when I read the story. Why did Galen not play a more prominent role in the story? One of the reasons for me to allow 3 stars to this book was this very same question. However, when I look at it from the author's perspective, I believe this is because he wanted to create as much a background to the following books in the series.I believe Galen may play a bigger role in the future books.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Galen is the character we see Voulhire through yet there are so many significant characters in this story like Meldorath, Demetrius, Rowan and others that I can't especially say he is the fundamental character, we just will see a large portion of the story from his point of view.
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

Yes he does. I think Galen befotts the title because he is the best release station of the title and through his story, a great introduction to Voulhire.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

While reading the earlier parts of the book, I never thought Galen is the main character but further read into the book shows that he's fit for that.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

Galen is a strong character. He's might be the best bet for the protagonist. However I don't think his demise will end the series. The author tries as much as possible not to place the continuity of the story on a character.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”