Are There Immigration Issues, and What Are the Possibilities of Galen Falling in Love With the New Nation?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Are There Immigration Issues, and What Are the Possibilities of Galen Falling in Love With the New Nation?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Settling in a new region has its fair share of challenges. Galen immigrated to Voulhire. Did he fall in love with the new nation? What are some of the challenges he faced as an immigrant? Did his uncle make it easier for him to settle down as an immigrant? Did the author extend the possibilities of an immigrant being successful in a new nation? Would it have been easier if he was immigrating from Voulhire to Lands of the Princes?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Would it have been better to go to the war-torn country of Lands of the Princes? I can answer that question with enough assurance and its a hard NO. I think the author did extend ideas of successful immigration of Galen in Voulhire, as the people were welcoming and let him continue his uncle's job as blacksmith in their nation.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

There are pros and cons to everything. Even though Voulhire is described as a land of opportunity, this kingdom is not perfect. Galen will have to work hard and make the most of his opportunities. Like any new immigrant, he will have to adapt to his surroundings and learn the cultural norms.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Who would have chosen a warring nation over a resourceful one as Voulhire? With the industry, Rowan, and Demetrius around Galen, he knows there is a lot for him in his new place of residence.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Galen is a lucky fellow. Thanks to his uncle and Rowan, he had no trouble entering Voulhire. Magnum Caelum was a friendly village with its mundane residents. He had a house to live in and a business right of the bat, and he even inherited quite a lot of money. I can say he had everything he needed for a new life. His only headache is his two companions' childish banters :D. Therefore, is there any reason for him to dislike the new land?
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

Galen's uncle really helped Galen's immigration by not only leaving a book to help Galen start as a blacksmith but also paying Rowan to help him settle in. Given this help, Galen is set up to be a very successful blacksmith in Voulhire. The transition was a bit rough for Galen since he is switching from a land of poverty to prosperity, but the book does not focus on this change, which was a bit disappointing. The transition, however, would have been significantly worse if Galen had been going the other way. It is much easier to gain freedom than it is to lose it.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I will choose Voulhire over the Land of the Princes any day. I think with the help of Rowan and Demetrius, and the mayor as well, Galen is coping well on his new home. Yes, he is still testing the waters but his determination to fit in and to find his place gives him the motivation to settle in. Conflicts can not be avoided though. Afterall, Voulhire is the land of opportunities and everyone is taking their chances.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 21:08 I will choose Voulhire over the Land of the Princes any day. I think with the help of Rowan and Demetrius, and the mayor as well, Galen is coping well on his new home. Yes, he is still testing the waters but his determination to fit in and to find his place gives him the motivation to settle in. Conflicts can not be avoided though. Afterall, Voulhire is the land of opportunities and everyone is taking their chances.
It is true there will be conflicts, especially after a big change like immigration. Perhaps in the future Galen will face more of the expected difficulties with fitting-in in a new country, although Rowan and Demetrius seem to have smoothed the transition for Galen significantly.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

immigrating to the land of the princes... I wouldn't wish it to my worst enemy. Galen's uncle made sure he would have a comfortable life and even learn a craft and give back to society, so I would say he has it pretty good considering...
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

I think Galen is falling in love with Voulhire. The way he describes how different his life was back in the land of the princes is really sad, I'm glad he got the opportunity to start over in a new land full of opportunities. He's uncle really helped him, not only by giving him money but by giving him a chance to grow as a person.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

Galen was quite lucky with his immigration process thanks to uncle. The life he had in the land of the princes was a very sad one. I’m sure he would fall in love with his new home, he inherited his uncle’s business, house and also some money to start a new like for himself.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

It definitely would not have been easy for Galen to settle in the horrible land of the princes. With the better living conditions and availability of social amenities in Voulhire, I believe Galen would be grateful to have migrated. His uncle probably left him the best he could afford.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Immigrating from Voukhire to the lands of the princes is suicide. Although it took Galen some time to adjust to life in Voulhire and to master the use of social amenities available, life is much easier in Voulhire. Although Voulhire developed its peculiar problems, it is still a far cry from the lands of the princes.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Galen was desperate to leave the lands of the princess and for that I believe he will do what it takes to succeed in the new land. Not to mention that coming back to where he came was something he wish to do.
Escaperoute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Escaperoute »

Galen is falling in love with new town. He is finding it a bit difficult to adjust to the new place but he is surely falling for the place. His uncle make it easy for him to settle there by leaving a large amount of money and giving his home and work to him. The immigrants are treated good in the town.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”