Are There Immigration Issues, and What Are the Possibilities of Galen Falling in Love With the New Nation?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Re: Are There Immigration Issues, and What Are the Possibilities of Galen Falling in Love With the New Nation?

Post by RKeinath »

It is through Galen that the poetic narrative is really seen as he first lays eyes on Voulhire. He encapsulates the hopes and dreams of someone fleeing war and poverty only to find that all is not as it seems on the surface. His life is made easier through his Uncle leaving him money and a place to stay, but he had to learn a craft without really having a teacher just a book. He had never done blacksmithing, and yet expected to pick it up and be the blacksmith. There did not seem to be much choice in him continuing his uncle's work. It was expected of him. I felt it gave a glimpse into a side of the difficulties immigrants can face with him being thrust into a job like that and had a medieval ring to it as well. At the same time, Galen is fortunate to escape the Land of the Princes as without his Uncle the possibility of fleeing would have been slim to none.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Galen got a new start and in my opinion that was a good decision. He had help and family. Immigrating is not an easy thing, there are so many things involved. The most important being the ability to Adapt.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

From what I've surmised, Galen seems to be smitten with Voulhire considering the place he has come from. It was a bit easier for him to settle in a new place due to his uncle's inheritance. It wouldn't have be easier for him to settle in Land of princes from Voulhire as it is definitely a downgrade in terms of standard of living.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

I dont think its even practical to immigrate from a peaceful land to a war torn one so its a NO. Galen uncle did a great job leaving him inheritance in a peaceful land where he was so much welcome to continue doing blacksmith. I loved how Galen viewed Voulhire land and how he explored. I believe his uncle did his best and left him what he could afford. Although settling in new places has challenges Voulhire was best suited for Galen because the people were so much welcoming.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I feel as if Galen did fall in love with the new nation. He found it peaceful and I think he liked the culture and the look of his new country. One of the challenges I think Galen faced as an immigrant was learning about the currency. The reader is able to see him struggle deciding on how many coins to give. I do feel his uncle made it easier for him to settle down as an immigrant by leaving him a fully furnished house, some money in the bank and even leaving him a book on learning a new skill that would help Galen earn an income. No, I don't think it would have been easier if Galen were migrating from Voulhire to the Land of the Princes. This is because he would have found it harder learning to adapt with the war-torn nation and he wouldn't have had a house or money in the bank waiting for him.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I believe that a living dog is better than a dead lion. Hence, Galen made the right decision to flee a war zone and go to Voulhire. He will fit better into his new society with time. His uncle made this task a lot easier for him by leaving him a lot of money.
Erin M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-m.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Erin M »

It seems like he immediately fell in love with Voulhire. Although I do think he faces the expected amount of culture shock to some degree. His uncle definitely made it easier by pre-arranging for someone else to show him around and get him settled in. Going from Voulhire and then to the Lands of the Princes I think would have been much harder to adjust to.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

The author describes the kingdom so well, anyone would fall in love with Voulhire. After going through hardship in the lands of the princes, I think Galen will appreciate this new place and be happy about it. I haven't seen any discrimination on the immigrants in this place, actually they are treated well.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

"Did his uncle make it easier for him to settle down as an immigrant?" Yes he did. Being provided with a house, a workshop, and some money in the bank alongside with guidance from nice persons, such as the mayor, makes it easy for him to adopt well in this new country. And with the level of excitement in his eyes, and the gratitude he always shows to Rowan for bringing him out of the Lands of Princes, he is, obviously, in love with his new nation.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Galen arrives in Voulhire with wide and starry eyes. This land holds so much more possibility than the land he comes from, not to mention the wealth and comfort his uncle leaves him. Galen is definitely better off for having come to Voulhire from the Lands of the Princes, and it seems, with his uncle's help, he will settle in quite easily.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

Voulhire is a far cry from the Lands of the Princes. Galen is bound to fall in love with Voulhire. Voulhire has a higher standard of living with social amenities.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Galen was pretty well set up when it comes unto integrating himself into a new country. This was due to his uncle's financial help, Rowan's support and the bequeathing a job as soon as he set foot in Voulhire. Maybe there's gonna be some attitude - whether good or bad, I don't know - from the Voulhirians because of his immigration status, though I suppose only time and the rest of the books will tell.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I feel like Galen's uncle could have made things easier for him to settle down in Voulhire. There's so much Galen doesn't understand about his new home. I think maybe he'll fall in love with someone somewhere in this book series. Right now it seems like Galen's still settling in Voulhire and trying to figure himself out as well.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I think Voulhirre will welcome Galen as a fresh mind and hands to work. It's easy to expect people to dislike Galen as an immigrant because we live in a time and place where immigrants are often frowned on. However, if you think back in our own history, our country once welcomed immigrants with their new ideas and willingness to work and contribute to our economy.
As for Galen falling in love, I imagine he will. It would be very common for this type of book.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Moving to Voulhire was a good transition. He had support from his neighbors and the mayor and even a friend, Rowan. Galen even had notes from his uncle and a letter too. If a character were to move from Voulhire to the Land of Princes, it would be completely different. The character would not have the support and would have to fend for himself.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”