We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Re: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Post by Ayindelaw »

I like it when authors alternate between different points of view. It gives the story a sense of spontaneity and authenticity because life itself is always changing as you change the points of view.
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

In a way it makes the whole story flow seamlessly like a movie.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I love the alternation of perspectives and reading about an event from different angles, but I preferred the third person format better. It was unusual at first, but I got used to Galen's chapters as well. It's a good thing the writer started off with Galen arriving to Voulhire because I felt like I was there exploring it with him, while the other characters had a more objective style of narration. It fits even better in the other books!
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

Ashliicat wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 10:29 I really liked the mix of third and first point of veiw. I would have loved to read more chapters with Galen though because I connected with those the best. I loved that the name of the character we were following was at the start of each chapter as well as it made me start guessing where each chapter was going to go.
I totally agree! The names at the start of the chapters also helped me to keep clear who was who. There's quite the cast of characters in this story and it made it much easier to keep them straight.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I love different points of view in a story. It makes it look more complex and as a mosaic. However, I think it can be a bit more developed. I think there should be more differences between each narrator, even if it is in third person, so we see the real differences between the characters and their world views and intentions.
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

In a bigger series, in my opinion, it's an engaging idea to show different sides of the created world this way. It gives the author far more possibilities to describe the separate aspect of the land and universe. And if at one point in the books all the plot threads come together, it can give an amazing climax to the storyline.
Ivana Komel
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-komel.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ivana Komel »

I love this style of writing, because each character is presented much more in depth and it is not only black and white kind of presentation of the characters. That is why I am a big fan of George R.R. Martin's The songs of ice and snow series.
Reader 05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Reader 05 »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:39 Most of the story is told in the third-person point of view with the chapters alternating between different characters. Did you like this style? Do you think it added extra depth to the story?
I think by doing this, the author added more depth, which in turn, made they novel a lot more interesting because you could understand the perspective, thinking and feeling of each individual character.

:techie-studyinggray:
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

It was jarring at first, but I have the ability to adapt to alternative styles of reading. Once I got past that hurdle the book was investive enough to keep going, so I didn't hold it against the story for adopting a different type of viewpoint.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I love reading stories with alternating points of view. It makes it easier for me to identify with the characters and get engaged in their unique story line. I think it's also a great way for the author to keep the book exciting: the reader is only allowed to learn as much information in every situation as the given character owns.
psmith5659
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psmith5659.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by psmith5659 »

The changing in the points of view of narration were a high point of the novel for me. It really helped me feel like a part of the story, and like it was more fleshed out. First person makes you feel like you are right there with the action, and third shows you the bigger picture in a way that helps to make the book feel whole. The use of these were masterfully done.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I don’t think the alternating points of view added anything substantial to the story. I think if Galen’s chapters had been in the third person, like the other characters, that the reader would still figure out he’s the protagonist. Personally, I disliked switching between points of view but I can’t quite articulate why.
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

I've started to notice quite a lot of books have alternating points of view. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I think it does! The world is incredibly interesting, and being able to see a variety of perspectives engages and informs the audience better.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I really like this style because it allows readers to get a wider range in terms of storytelling. Instead of focusing on one person's perspective which can be limited at times, the book allows us to view many at a time.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Post by edztan15 »

I personally liked it. It was a risky decision by the author, and if not done correctly, would make the reading experience jarring. Fortunately, Matthew Tysz pulled it off successfully. Galen's point of view as a naive individual and his constant awe in his new surrounding added a nice touch to the story.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”