We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Post by JinBin »

I've always been a fan of this style of writing. It gives more depth to the story, in my opinion, because the reader gets a chance to see how each individual character thinks and the reasoning behind their actions. It's like the reader is inside the character's mind.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I particularly like when the story narratives in the third person point of view. The reason is that it allows you to grasp things fron different view points and the author is able to give the reader different angles to look at.Otherwise, the reader only able understand thingsfrom the first person point of view.Also it would help the author to focus on the character development as well, which is a very important aspect for me..
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I appreciated this book. There are parts that read somewhat dry, however I simply envision them as scenes in a film and it picks directly back up once more. I like perusing books that permit me to imagine what it would resemble as a film.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

I really enjoy it when an author is able to draw me into the mind of more than a single character. In this particular book it is completely necessary as well because of all the information that needs to be introduced. Had the story been told from Galen’s POV alone, it would be an entirely different story. It would have been less complex and far less entertaining. And as simple-minded as Galen seems in this first installment, he certainly did not need that pressure!!
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I like that Galen's POV is first person. Considering that he is the only one new to Voulhire, it makes sense, as you see from his own perspective his views and interactions with what is, to him, a new world. Whereas the third person is good for the rest of the book as it means you can see the general events that are going on in Voulhire and the problems that are brewing, and seeing these from a different character each chapter adds a lot more depth to the book, especially when each storyline begins to come together!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I enjoyed the author's writing style and the multiple points of view he offered the his audience. It gave the reader a fresh perspective of everything, of substantial significance, that was happening in Voulhire.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

Alternating points of view are good to an extent. They are enjoyable when a writer shifts the points of view with perfect timing and does not shift the story between too many characters. I enjoy some books that employ this method of writing, but I usually find more off-putting books using this method than ones that focus on a point of view. In other words, a book with shifting perspectives has a higher chance to be put down than ones with a few perspectives for me. For this book, it gets it right to an extent, but it was a bit disconnected and disconcerting in general.
_khush_p
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by _khush_p »

I am not lying when I say that I was struggling with this a book a little. I don't know who else can relate with me but in the start it was hard to catch a general idea about the story. The writing style was what kept me going. So I went on reading and actually ended up liking it. Along the way I also realized that this whole book serves the purpose of introducing the characters and giving a backstory to the next in series books. It was a fun journey knowing all the characters and the magical world of Voulhire. The book gets very intense towards the end and I am very excited to read the full series! :D
“See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”
- We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.
Carina Jordaan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carina-jordaan.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Carina Jordaan »

I enjoyed the different viewpoints. It created a deeper curiosity to learn more about Voulhire and the history and politics unfolding and not only the characters. It helped to understand the complexity of Voulhire and it will be interesting to see how all the characters are connected to Galen's journey through out the series.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I liked this style because I think it worked well with all the world-building going on. The more POVs you have, the more places and views you get which built a very interesting world. I also felt they were well-handled and not confusing.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I like the style. It gives it a bit of variety. When it comes to Galen, it feels personal. It makes me feel that he is a special character. (We all say he's the main character). This doesn't mean the other characters arent special. I just found it interesting that the chapters about Galen are told in the 1st person, but we still don't know much about him. It's like the author is trying to tell us something.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:39 Most of the story is told in the third-person point of view with the chapters alternating between different characters. Did you like this style? Do you think it added extra depth to the story?
The progression of the story was refreshing to see from varying point of views. It also enabled us to know the characters directly from their point of views; not just from other's perception. I loved the style.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I like this style of narration. I think the author makes it very clear whose perspective the reader is reading. I didn't have a problem when I was reading the books in the series. I feel that the different perspectives make the book a little more interesting and diverse as we get to learn more about the different characters.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I usually prefer books written in the 3rd person or 1st person dual POVs, but the constant switch between 1st and 3rd person is annoying for me.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

At first, I was kind of confused about how is the story going on but after reading a few chapters, I started liking this style.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”