Goodbye Lord Eldus

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Goodbye Lord Eldus

Post by Valkyrie9 »

A good portion of the book centers on Lord Eldus, and shows him to be a strong character with great potential. Was anyone else shocked by his sudden and abrupt demise? I can't help but feel a little disappointed that he will not feature in the books that follow.
:reading-6:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Lord Eldus was a good character and he needn't have died. But, Voulhire is also a land of the fittest. With terrorists like the Riva on the horizon, no one is safe. Lord Eldus should've known or had a system that let him knew of the arrival of the terrorist group.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I too was shocked at his sudden exit, it was really unexpected, especially when considering his plans for Hillport. I, however, got over his untimely demise and took it as one of those unfair situations in life.
Lord Eldus' story was simply a base for greater events that were to unfold in no distant time. Besides, I do not see how he would have been fitted into the subsequent installments.
Live and let live, baby.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:05 Lord Eldus was a good character and he needn't have died. But, Voulhire is also a land of the fittest. With terrorists like the Riva on the horizon, no one is safe. Lord Eldus should've known or had a system that let him knew of the arrival of the terrorist group.
But the thing is no one knew Riva were on the horizon. Everyone in Voulhire was sure they belonged to history. And Maido betrayed them all, especially Hillport. Mianora did nothing to stop them, that's how selfish and self-confident they became. Lord Eldus couldn't even imagine such an outcome.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Yup! I wasn't expecting that because the author has written Eldus his point of view in the story. Upon reading the first two books, it was really a surprising thing that some characters are gone too soon like you can only encounter them in one book only.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe the destruction of Hillport is the author's way of portraying the sinister nature of the Riva. I can't imagine how dancing can accompany killing. Will a movie director rise to the challenge?
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Lord Eldus was my favorite character in the book. So, I was very disappointed by his violent and untimely demise. I would have liked to see more of him and his realistic family. For me, the interactions between him and his teenaged son and daughter were the best parts of the story.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

No one is ever safe in Voulhire. In fact, it is the survival of the fittest. Although I felt bad about his death, I kind of expected it. He was just too good to stand the heat.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I was also shocked by his sudden death. Since the book focused on Lord Eldus about half the time and showed him trying to improve Hillport, I feel like all of those efforts amounted to nothing. Granted, his brief role might play a part later on since Marshus managed to escape, but I still feel a bit disappointed at this development.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I was also shocked when Lord Eldus died. I really had to asked WHY?. But then again like what I said in my review, everyone is finding their own place under the Voulhirian skies. And unfortunately, for the Riva to find their own, Lord Eldus has to go.
Teletha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teletha.html
Latest Review: Viking Blood and Blade by Peter Gibbons

Post by Teletha »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 12:13
But the thing is no one knew Riva were on the horizon. Everyone in Voulhire was sure they belonged to history. And Maido betrayed them all, especially Hillport. Mianora did nothing to stop them, that's how selfish and self-confident they became. Lord Eldus couldn't even imagine such an outcome.
Someone reported to the king that Riva is on the move, but I guess they didn't see it as urgent. Eldus family didn't deserve their fate, but that's life for us.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Aubrey Lewis wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 03:21 I was also shocked by his sudden death. Since the book focused on Lord Eldus about half the time and showed him trying to improve Hillport, I feel like all of those efforts amounted to nothing. Granted, his brief role might play a part later on since Marshus managed to escape, but I still feel a bit disappointed at this development.
Unfortunately, Hillport has fallen for good. Lord Eldus' death will serve as a motivation for his son later, but the things he did for the town are meaningless now.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Lord Eldus was my favorite character, and I had been rooting for his various plans for Hillport to come to fruition. The later books establish the fact that Rica has a new and very capable leader, but nobody realized that at the time. Consequently, they underestimated Riva, and Lord Eldus, along with many other people, paid the price.
Larkspur
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Larkspur »

I almost cried when I was reading about the attack. Especially when the Riva Rohavi broke in and it dawned on me that there was a possibility he would die. I expected his family to die but lord Eldus to survive and plan his revenge.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Lord Eldus was one of my favorite characters in the book. Frankly, I would have enjoyed an entire novel about him and his ability to resurrect the town against adversity, and against the stigma of pedophilia and torture. This issue in itself is timely and worthy of discussion, so when he was eliminated I felt that the author no longer wished to deal with the topic, easily sweeping it under the carpet.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”