Goodbye Lord Eldus

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Re: Goodbye Lord Eldus

Post by moowshiri »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:46 A good portion of the book centers on Lord Eldus, and shows him to be a strong character with great potential. Was anyone else shocked by his sudden and abrupt demise? I can't help but feel a little disappointed that he will not feature in the books that follow.
:reading-6:
I was also shocked and deeply disappointed upon his death. He'd shown so much potential at making record-breaking improvements on Hillport. It was a big blow to the town of Hillport.
Myshara Herbert-McMyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysharal.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Myshara Herbert-McMyn »

I was so shocked! I thought that he was going to meet Galen and potentially become an ally in the following books. (I've only read book 1) When he died so abruptly, I was very confused. He was the first character that was becoming well-rounded and I was hopeful that that was the beginning of the character-building portion of the series. He was also one of the only characters with clear and good morals in my opinion.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I really like Lord Eldus character. It was quite shocking the way he was killed off of the book. I would have liked to see him feature in other books in the series
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

First of all, that was really painful! He needn't have died! Now all his plans for Hillport are dead with him. Secondly, the author should have allowed him to get a message to the Wilhelm. Now how will people know that Meldorath has returned? Anyways, I am glad the boy escaped.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Yes! I never expected what happened, but I also didn't feel like Lord Eldus had that much potential, so, not much was lost, in my opinion.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:36 I almost cried when I was reading about the attack. Especially when the Riva Rohavi broke in and it dawned on me that there was a possibility he would die. I expected his family to die but lord Eldus to survive and plan his revenge.
This is exactly what I thought would happen too. But alas, it was not to be. I suppose Marshus will have to take up the torch and avenge his family.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
T_Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by T_Tobbs »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 22:31 Lord Eldus was my favorite character in the book. So, I was very disappointed by his violent and untimely demise. I would have liked to see more of him and his realistic family. For me, the interactions between him and his teenaged son and daughter were the best parts of the story.
For me too. Especially between him and his teenaged son. You could see how human he was, he loved his son but his son got on his nerves a lot. You could also see how intelligent he was, he studied his son's behaviors and saw the real motive underneath his actions whilst others only saw what he (Marshus) wanted them to see. It was sad to read Lord Eldus go like that.
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

Lord Eldus was my favourite character after Galen. I was so shocked when he died. I would have loved to see him in the following books. He seemed like such an intelligent man. His character development was incredible. I feel like all the effort put in to make him a great character went to waste.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Lord Eldus's death was shocking to me but in a place like Voulhire, one can't bank on one's goodness alone to survive.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I was very surprised and shocked when he and his family were killed. As one of the main characters in the first book, you expected him to make it to the end. However, that wasn't the case at all. While his death saddens me, since I really liked his character, I actually really liked it since it shows that anyone, even the main characters, aren't invincible.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I found this to be an interesting move, perhaps to give space for other characters to shine through in subsequent scenes and also as a way to contrast the struggle between forces of good, evil, and the quest for power.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

In the beginning, I was hesitant about his eccentric personality but I soon grew to love Lord Eldus's character so much. He had so many plans to make Hillport better. I agree with you that it was genuinely disappointing that he will not feature in the books that follow.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

Shock factors such as Lord Eldus demise is what makes stories rememberable to me. With the way magic is set up in the story I hope to see more of the son, and maybe some other unfore seen shock factor about Lord Eldus. Overall I liked his character.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I was starting to really enjoy the character of Lord Eldus and his interactions with his family. I do wish we could have gotten to know him at a deeper level, however, I also anticipate that his son may have a strong role in the subsequent books.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

I was really shocked by Lord Eldus' death. I had the idea that even if he's captured, he'd somehow escape unscathed. He was a strong character, the kind that always finds a way out. Riva doesn't usually kill anybody. But I was also saddened by the deaths of both his wife and daughter. They were both interesting characters with potential.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”