Goodbye Lord Eldus

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: Goodbye Lord Eldus

Post by Swirliegirlie »

I was a bit shocked when Lord Elus was killed also. I really enjoyed his character and how much build up went into his family but I enjoyed the way the author took the story. Lord Eldus was starting out with a secret so he wasn't necessarily the best leader for them in my opinion. I am curious to see how his son plays out in the rest of the series.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I was so disappointed, hurt and shocked by Lord Eldus's sudden death. He had such a good character, moral standing and showed so much potential. He would have achieved so much success in improving the town of Hillport and it's people.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Indeed lord Eldus is a very strong and interesting character in the story so I was a little disappointed on his demise, but this is Voulhire and so I trust that the author might have imagined a genius plot further.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

Lord Eldus was by far and large my favorite character. In fact, I would have loved if the books centered on him. I was definitely more than a little disappointed at his death. I suspect his son will be an interesting character though. I'm sad the daughter died, too. I love sibling interaction and would have like to see more of her and her brother.
Jeev Jatin Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeev-jatin-singh.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jeev Jatin Singh »

His sudden death was definitely a surprise. His efforts to accelerate Hillport's growth,along with the fact that a lot of time is spent on his narrative, made me think that he'd survive the invasion. Lord Eldus' demise is going to bear harsh consequences on the people of Hillport.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:46 A good portion of the book centers on Lord Eldus, and shows him to be a strong character with great potential. Was anyone else shocked by his sudden and abrupt demise? I can't help but feel a little disappointed that he will not feature in the books that follow.
:reading-6:
Yes! The book had started with giving Lord Eldus such depth and an awesome persinality. Then out of nowhere he had been killed or so they say;) It was such a shock. I had liked his personality the most in the first book with his 'dad jokes,' and intelligece.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

Lord Eldus's character added so much beauty to the plot. Especially his relationship with children. But I don't think his disappearance meant death. Maybe the preceding series will help illustrate.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I was taken completely by surprise. I really liked him and was hoping that he managed to escape. Unfortunately no. I felt that we learned so much about him as a character. Although, I do think it was good from the author. It was unexpected and made us readers sad. We connected with Lord Eldus and he deserted us.
I honestly thought that Lord Eldus was one of the main characters, but that did not happen.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Lord Eldus was my favourite character in this book. He was a man with a vision and had great plans for Hillport. I was disappointed when he was murdered. What shocked me is that Meldorath stated that Eldus had to die for him(Meldorath) to clear his name.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:46 A good portion of the book centers on Lord Eldus, and shows him to be a strong character with great potential. Was anyone else shocked by his sudden and abrupt demise? I can't help but feel a little disappointed that he will not feature in the books that follow.
:reading-6:
I didn't expected to see him die in this book, at least, since he appeared to be among the characters that will go further by how much exposure he had. However, I think that his death, and all who died in the attack of Hillport, wasn't vain. Because it highlighted how serious the issue about the Riva is; that they aren't as simple as before. Also, the death of Eldus' family will significantly contribute to Marshus' role in the future, I believe.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I really liked Eldus's character so it is needless to say that I was beyond shocked at his sudden departure. I was really disappointed that he was taken out of the series, as it seemed like he would be an important and recurring character throughout the series. Then again, it is the shock factor of this plot twist that made the book so enjoyable.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Eldus was like a character whose death exemplified what exactly the Riva Rohavi were. He was a normal, wise Lord with dreams for Hillport, and suddenly he was gone. And We have Riva to thank for that.
It was a really long story for an introduction. Now I think of it, Matthew could have not made a big deal of him. Just brought him, and in a few chapters ended his role.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

If Mianora and Maido had paid enough attention to the rising of Riva Rohavi then maybe the situation of Hillport could've been avoided. Eldus was a great character and he just wished for the improvement of Hillport. He was truly a great Lord compared to Meldorath and Orlin who only worked for their own sake.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I was very annoyed with his death. It felt very Ned Stark kind of thing. The death scene was also rushed. I didn't understand till few pages later that he was actually dead.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I didn't like how Lord Eldus died. At first it was like he stood there and waited. And when he was finally on the move, what did he do? When he told the dining families to follow him, I kept expecting him to go down. To save them somehow. Shouldn't castles have escape tunnels?
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”