(Least) Favourite Character

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: (Least) Favourite Character

Post by Krista Ash »

Galen was my least favorite character. He's a great guy for giving away his money to strangers and being incredibly grateful to all those he meets. This is understandable based on where he's coming from, but he just doesn't seem like a real person. He's too perfect. Since he's portrayed as the main character in the book's description, I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the intended reaction. I'm hopeful that in the following books Galen's personality is rounded out a little more.
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Justjaal_ »

I absolutely hated Alabaster, he was seriously disgusting. I didn´t like Maido either, I think he is one of main reasons Hillport ended the way it did. My favorite character is Galen, and my second favorite is Demetrius. I really loved them, and if I can mention two great characters of the story, I can mention Meldorath and the king. They were both very wise and mature men.
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

My favorite character in this installment was Eldus Alderman and I think the author intended it that we like him. My worst was Maido as he knew that Hillport was going to be attacked but did nothing.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Justjaal_ wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 22:53 I absolutely hated Alabaster, he was seriously disgusting. I didn´t like Maido either, I think he is one of main reasons Hillport ended the way it did. My favorite character is Galen, and my second favorite is Demetrius. I really loved them, and if I can mention two great characters of the story, I can mention Meldorath and the king. They were both very wise and mature men.
I guess Alabaster was a bit gross, but I'm still really fascinated by him and how he ties in to the main story. Maybe he'll be meeting up with Meldorath now that they're both free.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 07:16
rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:29 Reading the series, I have come to respect Meldorath. The guy is a man of science and a person who holds his subordinates dear. Anyone I hate? Yea, there is; but not in this installment of the seres.
Meldorath is a very complicated character :) In my opinion, it's very interesting that Beth adores him from the very beginning - and he takes care of her. For him Beth is not just a subject of study, which is quite amazing.
Meldorath is probably my favorite because of how he treats Beth. He also seems genuinely hurt that Wilhelm betrayed him and imprisoned him, which makes me like him more, even though he's done some pretty terrible things.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

Rowen was my least favorite character. I found him to be annoying and out of place. Why did he keep hanging around?
I think I warmed up to him, just a little, later on.
Martina A J
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-a-j.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Martina A J »

Lord Eldus was my favorite character and I was totally rooting for him to be successful in his ambitions for hillport. That ending broke my heart. Galen is a good protagonist too, naive, unsure and humble. Maido was my least favorite. The author seems to have intended it because he immediately comes across as creepy and arrogant, a bad combination. Even Meldorath is more likable.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

houligan19 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 16:11 Rowen was my least favorite character. I found him to be annoying and out of place. Why did he keep hanging around?
I think I warmed up to him, just a little, later on.
I think he hung around and didn't want to leave Galen because he's a bit lonely or maybe even an outcast in the city he's from. Galen might be the closest person to a friend he has.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

I didn't really have a favourite character. I liked Lord Eldus the most I guess. Most of the people in Soulhire I couldn't stand, but I really think they were written to be that obnoxious that doesn't count.

I would have to say Rowan and Galen, as least favourite. (SORRY! You all really seem to love them up there!) Just because I felt like they were too bland (Galen) and stereotypical (Rowan) to be main characters. Like why is it important that the story needs to be told from their perspective? The book didn't prove that to me. There were other characters that I felt had a more relatable or interesting perspective, but I'm guessing that they will both grow as the series continues, and we'll get to see why Galen and his friends are worthy of the first person perspective.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Karina Nowak wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 14:47 I would have to say Rowan and Galen, as least favourite. (SORRY! You all really seem to love them up there!) Just because I felt like they were too bland (Galen) and stereotypical (Rowan) to be main characters. Like why is it important that the story needs to be told from their perspective? The book didn't prove that to me. There were other characters that I felt had a more relatable or interesting perspective, but I'm guessing that they will both grow as the series continues, and we'll get to see why Galen and his friends are worthy of the first person perspective.
In my opinion, Galen got a first person perspective simply because he is as unfamiliar with Voulhire as the reader is. He's an immigrant, and the reader learns about Voulhire through him.

Introducing Voulhire solely through the perspective of the natives could have led to a lot of "As you know" dialogue between characters who already know the situation but need to inform the reader. Having an immigrant character narrate his story reduced Tysz's need for such an awkward device.

The bulk of the first seemed devoted to introductions and stage-setting. The plot didn't really get going until Riva Rohavi attacked Hillport.
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

I really did not like prince Darius. If he was a real person I wouldn't come near him.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

a_r_egerton wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 08:57
Karina Nowak wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 14:47 I would have to say Rowan and Galen, as least favourite. (SORRY! You all really seem to love them up there!) Just because I felt like they were too bland (Galen) and stereotypical (Rowan) to be main characters. Like why is it important that the story needs to be told from their perspective? The book didn't prove that to me. There were other characters that I felt had a more relatable or interesting perspective, but I'm guessing that they will both grow as the series continues, and we'll get to see why Galen and his friends are worthy of the first person perspective.
In my opinion, Galen got a first person perspective simply because he is as unfamiliar with Voulhire as the reader is. He's an immigrant, and the reader learns about Voulhire through him.

Introducing Voulhire solely through the perspective of the natives could have led to a lot of "As you know" dialogue between characters who already know the situation but need to inform the reader. Having an immigrant character narrate his story reduced Tysz's need for such an awkward device.

The bulk of the first seemed devoted to introductions and stage-setting. The plot didn't really get going until Riva Rohavi attacked Hillport.
Some books do a great job of introducing the readers to a new world from the perspective of the natives, and I think I prefer those books. Either way, both types of introductions to a world can be done well or poorly. I do think that having an immigrant character (whether physically an immigrant or new to the way of life) is easier for the writer. I think Galen could have been significantly better/more interesting if his character development had started in this first book.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I really liked Galen because he seems so innocent and kind hearted and also I liked the King who also seemed quite lenient. I did not like Lord Melcro or Folcro or Lord Dragon...or Alabastor they seem quite perverse
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

In this first book of the series, Marshus was, in my opinion, the best character. He had sass but was still intelligent and ambitious. I think that he will be featured in many other books to come, and I can't wait to read more about him. My least favorite character was Rowan. Although he was presented in a positive light by the author, I did not like his personality and was not a fan of his jokes or mannerisms.
Personalanama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-personalanama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Personalanama »

I loved Lord Eldus. He was genuinely passionate about offering his people solutions. He cared, which is rarely seen with leaders anywhere.

My least favorite would be Midius. He is dishonest and a generally unlikeable person.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”