(Least) Favourite Character

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

(Least) Favourite Character

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Tysz has developed so many stunning characters in this short first episode. Each one has great depth and is given the attention they deserve. Was there a specific character that you connected with and would say is your favourite? Or, on the other hand, was there a character that you absolutely hated? Do you think the character was intentionally written that way so that we would love/hate them? :techie-studyinggray:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Reading the series, I have come to respect Meldorath. The guy is a man of science and a person who holds his subordinates dear. Anyone I hate? Yea, there is; but not in this installment of the seres.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

In this installment, I was able to understand and sympathize with all the characters. However, besides the distinction of 'good guys' and 'bad guys', I must said that it was difficult for me to choose a favorite character.
Every character was just suited for the role they played. If I must choose, I would say Rowan (the golden boy) is my favorite, I love his sass and carefree attitude. My least favorite character would be Prince Darius, he seemed too out of place.
Live and let live, baby.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Right of the bat, I despised Chancellor Midius Maido. He was described as being nosy, insincere, and lecherous. I couldn't stand the way he used his power and position to coerce and take advantage of others. I'm sure his character was written that way on purpose.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Demetrius is my favorite for sure :) His sarcastic humor won me right away. I even dare say that he's the most developed main character the series offers so far. He seems to be a bit cold and distant from the very beginning, but it turns out he has a heart of gold.

Least favorite, I would say, it's Alabaster. I couldn't find anything attractive about him at all.
Ashliicat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashliicat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ashliicat »

I really liked Galen as a character. I don't know if it was because his part was written in first person and I could connect with it better, or if it's because I felt I was exploring the world at the same time he was. I also really liked Rowen. He seemed to have a good bit of humour and the relationship and conversations between him Galen and Demetrius were really fun to read.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Loed Eldus was my favorite character in this installment, and I was rooting for him to succeed in his new assignment. He seemed to be doing everything he could to help the people of Hillport.

Alabaster, by contrast, was utterly loathsome. He had a creepy power that he used for perverse ends.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Between Galen Bray and Monk Demetrius, I really do not know who to pick over the other. I would just say that I had a lot of pity for Galen's situation and approach which really got me endeared to him. As for Maido, I totally despised him. He's too nosy!
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

In this installment, I can't say I love any specific character. Might be anyone between Rowan and Galen. But as for the least favorite, that would definitely be Maido. I just hate his guts.
Wayne wayne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-wayne.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Wayne wayne »

I like Rowan. Even though he is arrogant, he is also brave. He is the annoying friend who is there for Galen in every situation. He plays a major role in helping Galen deal with his naivety.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:29 Reading the series, I have come to respect Meldorath. The guy is a man of science and a person who holds his subordinates dear. Anyone I hate? Yea, there is; but not in this installment of the seres.
Meldorath is a very complicated character :) In my opinion, it's very interesting that Beth adores him from the very beginning - and he takes care of her. For him Beth is not just a subject of study, which is quite amazing.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I liked Lord Eldus the most. I was saddened by his death. I was expecting him to deliver the people of Hillport from the fear cast by Meldorath.

My least favorite character was Meldorath. I just didn't like him. The mage that escaped from prison was also another enigma to me. I didn't understand why he remained in prison for so long when he could have left sooner.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Midius Maido. He acts as if he knows much than the King and at times becomes disrespectful at him. Also by his conversation with Prince Darius, he seems like he has a hidden political motive for his own advancement.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Can I pick two :D? While they are quite likable as individuals, the relationship between Rowan and Demetrius is one of the reasons I like them so much. So, let's just say this pair is my most favorite.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I had no use for the portrayal of Rowen. Certainly, he is an important character who acts as a catalyst to move the story, and he provides Galen with the impetus to continue on his journey. But Rowen is too much of a smart aleck. His dialogue and comments were more in line with a young man living in today's society rather than in this alternative world, goofing around with comments about masturbation and metrosexuals. He came across as totally false and clashed with the rest of the story and I would hope he meets with the same fate as Lord Eldus in further installments of the story.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”