(Least) Favourite Character

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: (Least) Favourite Character

Post by MajestyBooky »

My least favorite was Lord Meldorath and Maido. Most favorite was Galen and all scenes with his shadows .
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

I liked Meldorath character it made the book more intense and interesting. I think he gave more adventure to the book with his magic
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Having to choose, I disliked the character of Rowan. He was a perfect guide to Galen but he came across as someone too full of himself for my liking. I even expected him to swindle Galen or something along those lines. My view of him worsened when he failed to connect with Demetrious who I thought to be a good enough fellow.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:56 In this installment, I was able to understand and sympathize with all the characters. However, besides the distinction of 'good guys' and 'bad guys', I must said that it was difficult for me to choose a favorite character.
Every character was just suited for the role they played. If I must choose, I would say Rowan (the golden boy) is my favorite, I love his sass and carefree attitude. My least favorite character would be Prince Darius, he seemed too out of place.

I love books that gives us so many characters to love! Like you said, ultimately 'good' and 'bad' characters have their role to play.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

My favorite character is definitely Meldorath. It's clear he's not a bad guy, he was just betrayed by someone he thought he could trust. That's enough to make anyone snap. He's also incredibly intelligent, which I've always admired in a character.
I don't necessarily have a character I hate, but I don't think I like Rowan very much. His personality and attitude is a bit crass, to say the least.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

Maido and Meldorath we're my least favorite. Lord Eldus and Galen we're my favorite.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

I pick Rowan. I love his sense of humor and how he has the ability to turn a serious situation into a lighter one. Every book I read makes me like him more.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Lord Eldus is my favourite character I specially liked his sensitivity towards others problems.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I found myself falling for lord Eldus. I love his sense of family and drive to make the town of Hillport a success. I was so disappointed and hurt by his sudden death. My least favorite character was Midius Maido, what is his problem?. He is so greedy for power and control even though he is the head of the council. He is envious of the king and I have a feeling he will betray the king in the next installment.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

Trysz did an amazing job with character development in this book. It is hard to pick only one favorite, but if I had to pick one it would be an underdog, Eldu's son Marshus. his personality, his potential with magic, and his overall character development provided the best blueprint for him to be a prominent character in later books. My least favorite would be Rowen, simply because he is hiding something. His personality is amazing and his involvement with Galen's arrival was interesting but the subliminal language suggests he is not who he seems.
linochoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linochoo.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by linochoo »

I liked Eldus! He was inquisitive and also a bit brave for moving into Castle Hillport after the disappearance of two previous owners.
Kristine Runnberg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-runnberg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kristine Runnberg »

Midius Maido. He is the most irritating character because he does care about anything that is important. He's pretty rude, too.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

My favorite character was Lord Eldus. I liked how he was so enthusiastic and motivated to improve his town. I didn't like Chancellor Midius Maido. I think he was written that way - selfish, nosy, and downright obstinate at times.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Jeev Jatin Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeev-jatin-singh.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jeev Jatin Singh »

My favorite character would be Rowan. His humour and light-hearted comments added some frivolity to Galen's narrative. If it were not for him,Galen's narrative would seem too bland.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 09:57 Demetrius is my favorite for sure :) His sarcastic humor won me right away. I even dare say that he's the most developed main character the series offers so far. He seems to be a bit cold and distant from the very beginning, but it turns out he has a heart of gold.

Least favorite, I would say, it's Alabaster. I couldn't find anything attractive about him at all.
I agree with you. My most favourite character would be Demetrius. His character has depth and isn't perfect either. He seems to have a lot of traits that could be appreciated as one reads. It was even sweet to see him get jelous over Galen and Rowan's friendship.

To some extent I like Rowan even. He is rather intelligent and witty. I like hkw he knows how to decide fast, especially when he had initially visited the Land of the Princes in search of Galen with two marines.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”