(Least) Favourite Character

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
theskillsgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theskillsgirl.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: (Least) Favourite Character

Post by theskillsgirl »

I really like Galens character. He is super relatable. He has a positive go getter attitude. He is amazed at his opportunities, and he loves Voulhire. His excitement is infectious, and I love seeing how he interacts with people and the situations he is in.

On the other side, my least favorite character is Midius Madio. He is so slimy. He doesn’t care about anyone but himself. He wants all the gains and glory. He goes behind the kings back all the time. I don’t like him at all. I am hoping he meets an early end. But he probably won’t, because even though he is gross, he adds to the story.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I definitely loved Galen and I do think that Tysz created Galen's character in such a way as to be loved by the readers. His character is a kind, generous one and is definitely loveable.
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

I like all the characters in this installment of the series. However, Galen's naivete seemed overly exagerat ed to me. Considering his age and his origin from troubled area.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Both Midius Maido and Meldorath are potrayed negtively but I felt that there is more story hidden behind that portrayal. And reading further into the series my gut feeling is turning true :techie-studyingbrown:
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I could see Meldorath and Maido have many secrets hidden in them. They could turn out to be positive but Alabaster is too out of my comfort zone.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

Mstrtim wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 11:48 His dialogue and comments were more in line with a young man living in today's society rather than in this alternative world, goofing around with comments about masturbation and metrosexuals. He came across as totally false and clashed with the rest of the story and I would hope he meets with the same fate as Lord Eldus in further installments of the story.
YES!!! This is EXACTLY how I felt about Rowan. He started out okay but seemed to become progressively more and more like a modern day teenager. He used stupid words like "hiney" and just didn't fit into the narrative. I also hated how he immediately began pushing Galen to be more than a regular blacksmith. I mean, Galen doesn't even know how to be a blacksmith yet!! Let him figure that out and then see about helping him to be more.

So yes, I hated Rowan. I didn't even mind Maido because at least he fit with the narrative. Rowan just felt so out of place.
Thoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thoto.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Thoto »

My most favourite was Lord Eldus and Gareth for the good guys, and Medorath was my least favorite, but this could change later.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

I loved Galen, as he has so much promise and feels like the hero of the series. Maido was totally unlikeable and I instantly disliked him.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I absolutely loathe Chancellor Maido. He reminds me of a snake. But I have no problem with his portrayal because that's what the author intended to make me feel about the character.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 08:42 Right of the bat, I despised Chancellor Midius Maido. He was described as being nosy, insincere, and lecherous. I couldn't stand the way he used his power and position to coerce and take advantage of others. I'm sure his character was written that way on purpose.
I'm with you on this, and I believe it speaks to the author's ability to give life to his characters in a way that makes them relatable, for better or worse. Now, that's a skilled writer.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I love Demetrius's humor. I always prefer the funny characters in any series. He is very sarcastic sometimes. I think he is my favorite character.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

There was really only one character that I couldn't stand, and that was Chancellor Midius Maido. He was just very annoying, snobby, and would take any opportunity to his advantage. Plus, he was never respectful. I do think he was written this way on purpose, and he will probably be a key character to the plot.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

MIDIUS MAIDO
I hate that guy more than any other charecter in this series. I could cut him into a thousand pieces and throw him into the depths of Tartarus. I hate everything about him, how he abuses his power, relishes making problems and not valuing anything that has to be valued. But what made me really hate him was not letting Eldus know about the attack the Riva Rohavi were planning on hillport. It could have saved numerous lives and including Eldus and his family. And even that wasn't enough for him, he had to make king Wilhelm doubt Eldus's loyalty.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

Demetrius and Meldorath seem to me that are going to be great characters throughout the series. They have character and are not merely black or white. Lord Eldus, on the other side, seemed a bit dulled to me. I don't think this is entirely wrong. I even think it works as part of the story since it foreshadows, somehow, his ending.
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

My personal favorite is the biomage, since while he didn't get too much of a role in the first story, he brought a sense of levity and inanity that this series (at least, by the point of the first book) desperately craves).

My least favorite (again, by first book's standards) is Galen, who carries the typical "protagonist vessel" character traits that so many other characters like Harry Potter and Eragon have, which I've come to accept as the standard on a personal level, but wish could be better defined and more creative in the future.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”