Abrupt Ending!

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
[jade]
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade.html
Latest Review: A Poetic Journey To Love by Everett Callaway

Re: Abrupt Ending!

Post by [jade] »

After reading the first book, it felt like a waste to get rid of Lord Eldus, who is arguably one of the most well-developed and multidimensional characters in the novel. It seemed like there wasn't much significant value to his death, other than being another victim.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Well, as shocking as it was, abrupt end I need to be made peace with when the book is part of such a huge series.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Yes, you are right. A good character like Lord Eldus shouldn't have ended that way. I believe his son would come into play and magnify the qualities his Father passed down to him.
theskillsgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theskillsgirl.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by theskillsgirl »

I feel like in all good books there is death. And it comes when we least expect it. And sometimes it’s fair, and sometimes it’s not. Death is a part life. I am glad when authors can capture real life in a fantasy world.
It is sad that Lord Eldus and his family died an untimely and violent death.
But I do think that Lord Eldus son will grow from what he had to experience.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

The author wanted us to realise the level of evil in the book and hence the death of a positive character. Though, I would've liked to see how Lord Eldus was planning to turn the fate of Hillport.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

I was also not believing it and completely heartbroken when Lord Eldus died it was sad, killing him as a character but reading the next books I have come to appreciate what the author just did. But I agree it was completely absurd and abrupt.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I would have to agree that Tysz did not do justice to this character. Lord Eldus still had a lot to accomplish and even a lot more to uncover. I definitely felt as if his death was rushed.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

It seems unfair but this is a nine-part series. The topics which you may feel unclear will come in the next books. Even a few characters from this book will reappear again.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

ankit252 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:19 Alderman's death reminded me of Ned Stark's in "A Game of Thrones".
I got the exact same vibe. Granted, Ned's death was a little more drawn out. He really got deep into political intrigue, knowingly, before he was captured and executed. I think Eldus's death was surprising in how quickly it came. When he started talking to Meldorath through the journal, I remember thinking FINALLY! It was like maybe he would finally figure out the truth. If he had, then it would've seemed more justified for him to be killed. But instead the Riva showed up immediately afterward. It just seemed like a moment that should've been drawn out and made more important.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I didn't want Lord Eldus to die. His death was distressing. It is a pity that he was defenseless against the cruelty of Riva Rohavi. His entire family was killed, except his son, who escaped. I don't know what happened of him because I have read only two parts and there is no mention of him in the second one. I hope he is able to punish the people who destroyed his family.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:32 Keep reading the series. You will soon understand that there are dark undertones throughout the books in the series. Moreover, the death of family of the lord of Hillport is important for the character development of his son, Marshus Alderman.
His son struck me as a coward at first, but then I imagined myself in his place and realized that's exactly what I would do. I am very keen to know what will happen next to him.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Krista Ash wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 15:00
rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:32 Keep reading the series. You will soon understand that there are dark undertones throughout the books in the series. Moreover, the death of family of the lord of Hillport is important for the character development of his son, Marshus Alderman.
I'm curious where these "dark undertones" will lead. It almost seems like Hillport is curse: Orlin turns from a good lord to a perverse one, Eldus also starts good but starts being influenced by Meldorath... or maybe it's just Meldorath's presence. While Eldus's death might be important for his son's character development, I don't think that's really a good reason to kill a character, although it is a good use of a character's death.
I would say that the curse is meldorath and not Hillport. He wanted the position there and he did whatever it took him to do so. That's Meldorath, keep on reading the sequel and you'll see what I mean.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

I wept when Lord Eldus died, however, life is not fair. Often, "good" people meet "bad" ends. Just the same, "bad" people sometimes meet "good" ends. Life is unfair, and so are most justice systems. One can scrutinize many of the elements presented in the book, but its realism must be praised. Reading it feels real and believable. Subtract the magic, and the dealings sound similar to true-world events. Books such as these should be praised. Yes, I would have preferred Lord Eldus to survive and continue to rebuild Hillport, however, I can appreciate that his death also serves a purpose in the progression of the story.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

It is really emotional drifting, I didn't like the dismiss of awesome characters like Lord Eldus, any way the book is into series; so characters can appear and disappear but the plots shall live on.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

Eldus Alderman's death was unpleasing to me too. However, I think it was dependent on the author's plot for the series.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”