Abrupt Ending!

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Re: Abrupt Ending!

Post by ValeriaU »

I was very surprised by the death of lord Eldus too, I wasn't expecting this to be the kind of series in which no character is safe, even if they're the ones narrating the story. I really liked it though, it left me with a lot of questions. I hope they get answered in the next book.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I found the finale of this book to be fantastic. That scene where the lord died was fascinating to read.
I still don't understand why the lord had to die, but from above comments, I guess I will have to keep reading to find out.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I must admit I was shocked. But then again, life is hardly fair. I think this development endeared me more to this book. That was unpredictable. I believe it would make more sense to me when I read other books in the series.
Jojobiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojobiz.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jojobiz »

Lord Eldus was my favorite of all characters. His sudden death was a heartbreak considering the purity if his intentions to the people of Hillport. I am waiting to see how his death impacts the atory.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

It doesn't seem fair to me either. However, I hope that as we continue reading this series, everything will fall into place.
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

I was surprised that he died too. To say the least I am glad that Galen is safe, maybe he's not. I like how the deaths least expected add flair to this episodic story.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

I know right! It totally took a 180 on the plot. But it's awesome because now you're too intrigued not to read the next book
tasteph1364
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasteph1364.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by tasteph1364 »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:32 Keep reading the series. You will soon understand that there are dark undertones throughout the books in the series. Moreover, the death of family of the lord of Hillport is important for the character development of his son, Marshus Alderman.
Aha! I had a feeling that Marshus would come back to play a major role...or was it a major role? Definitely would like to know what role Marshus played in subsequent books.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I think the dark undertones and unexpected twists and turns – like characters dying suddenly and unfairly – is a signature writing style of the author. I admit the abrupt endings and lack of closure did surprise me at first, but as I’m reading through this series, I’ve come to enjoy it. I like not knowing how things will turn out. That being said, I liked Lord Eldus, and his death was quite emotional to experience.
tasteph1364
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasteph1364.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by tasteph1364 »

There are ways to create suspense and hint at things to come without ending a book in what seems like the middle of a scene. I do think that might be a style trait of the author, as are some other things that I find jarring.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I personally thought that his death was unfair too as Maido could have very easily come to his rescue but didn't. However, his death just showed what every one already knows, which is that there are always sacrificial lambs termed as "necessary casualties" whenever people need change. I think this was the case for Lord Eldus.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

jeminah28 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 02:25 What can you say about the swift death of a man with a wholesome character in this novel? Like for example in the new Lord of Hillport. I'm still hanging why a good man died without anything in defense in this book. It seems not fair.
These unexpected deaths make the series great. On the other hand, I am holding my breath because the author may suddenly decide to kill one of the constant characters in the series.
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

Marloo wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 02:04 I was really sad when the Lord of Hillport died; I was rooting for him. Non the less, I actually liked this kind of ending. It sparked my curiosity for the next book(s) since I didn’t get the satisfaction of an ending I wanted! I just started the second book so I’m going to see what happens!
I definitely agree that the ending of this book made me very curious and excited to read the rest of the series. Hillport's death was sad and unexpected, I am hoping to get more clarification and closure from the next books.
Astrolorraine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrolorraine.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Astrolorraine »

It was shocking for sure. But unfortunately, it's realistic too - good people die in unfair ways every day. I haven't read the sequels yet but it's possible more comes of it later as well.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

The chapters leading to his death were laced with events you would deem ominous. You have to admit though, he was brave.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”