Abrupt Ending!

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Re: Abrupt Ending!

Post by zainherb »

ankit252 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:19 Alderman's death reminded me of Ned Stark's in "A Game of Thrones". Good men killed by politics they did not foresee. It was sad and unfair.
But realistically, it is possible for good men to perish under dangerous politics and wars. Meldorath's arrest had made Hillport weaker. Aldus thought Meldorath was the only threat. He did not know of Riva's advances. Maido neither warned, nor helped him. And Riva took advantage of that.
Exactly. I agree.

I don't have to like the fact that Alderman died, but it is understandable. This is also partly why I don't attach myself to the characters in movies or novels. So I don't get sad when the author kills my favourite characters.

In any case, since I can't get angry at the author, Maido is the a-hole.
It is all his fault.
:techie-reference:
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I agree that his sudden death seemed cruel. But I really think that since Lord Eldus's son, Marshus lived, he is really going to develop as a character through his father's death even though they didn't always see eye to eye. So the ending was definitely bittersweet in its abruptness.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I actually found the ending enjoyable. It gives room for a lot of plot twists and shows you that Tysz is not here to joke. I think it also changed up the pace of the story. The major half of the book is a build-up of tension and anticipation because we're being told about all the horrors and nasty things, but never truly get to experience them until that point.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I completely agree with you. I do not understand why Eldus and his family had to die. He would have done so much for the community of Magnum Caelum. Maybe his death will make sense as the story progresses.
Martina Ungwugain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adiee.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Martina Ungwugain »

I like the how the book ended. it captivating and draws the reader to keep reading. However, it is my opinion that the Lord of Hillport death was sudden.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I found the ending ok for an introductory piece. I have not read the rest of the series yet but, from what I understand, by everyone else's post, there are some expectations about Marshus. I was hoping for this while I read the book because I really enjoyed his character. Hillsport should have had more defenses at least, the battle scene would have been more intense, and I think a few more characters should have survived.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think the abrupt and shocking ending was meant to serve the purpose of making the reader curious enough to want to read the next book.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I was definitely surprised at the ending. I felt it ended on a bit of a cliff-hanger to make use want to read more.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

While it was an unexpected turn of events, I wasn't really surprised. There were many dark things that happened throughout the book, and I believe such tragedy was suitable, for I believe this will change the fate of his son—who I think we'll follow his story in the coming books of the series. I felt it was necessary and I liked the plot twist despite it being a sad one.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It is surprising. But I'm sure that will affect his son later on. There must be a reason why the author had that happen.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I was very disappointed when Lord Eldus was killed. He was a man with a vision. He would have taken Hillport to great economic heights.
caina3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caina3.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by caina3 »

I was also sad and surprised when Eldus was killed. I really wanted him and his family to be there long enough to impact the community positively. They were trying to shine a light and were cut short. I am glad there is a possibility that his son Marshus may have escaped. Since he has an affinity toward magic, he can come back and defeat Lord Meldorath and bring down the Riva Rohavi for murdering his family. I only hope his father Eldus had enough of a positive influence on him to do the right thing.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html

Post by zainherb »

AtienoMagero wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 08:01 I think the abrupt and shocking ending was meant to serve the purpose of making the reader curious enough to want to read the next book.
Exactly! This is something Tysz is good at in this series and another series of his I've read, 'The Turn' series. It works well too. I have been waiting for the next book to be released since I read the last one.
:techie-reference:
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

jeminah28 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 02:25 What can you say about the swift death of a man with a wholesome character in this novel? Like for example in the new Lord of Hillport. I'm still hanging why a good man died without anything in defense in this book. It seems not fair.
It was truly upsetting for us readers that Eldus died. Considering how much exposure he had made his death sentimental. But his death, and among the other deaths in the attack of Hillport, had set a more unfriendly insight for the Riva and made them very concerning. In terms of the ending, which was played by Alabaster de Lasette, I was deeply intrigued.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I hated that Eldus was killed out of the blue like that. I didn't even realise he was dead till a few pages later. It feels like Ned Stark's death from GOT.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”