The book involves only a few female characters: Is it justified?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Re: The book involves only a few female characters: Is it justified?

Post by Miller56 »

aaurba wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:08 When I was reading the book, I noticed that there are no major female characters involved in the storyline. The protagonist, the protagonist's friends, Voulhire's leader, Riva Rohavi's leader, Hillport's leader, and the magical antagonist are all males. Many people say that given the book's medieval setting, it is only common that the book also follows medieval norms: decreased roles for women and bigger roles for men.

What is your opinion on this? Does the above explanation completely justify the book's lack of female main characters?
I think that the roles women played in medieval settings are generally not as pronounced and this could explain the lack of major female characters in the storyline. However, I think that women provided a lot of strength and should not be ignored in any setting, including medieval. The women kept the home working while the men were away and should be recognized for their role. There are a lot of strong women in all eras.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Probably the most disappointing aspect in this series is the lack of female characters. I have only read the first three books, and I’ve only seen a handful of female entities therein but none of them are strong, established characters. In the rare occasions that a female makes an appearance, it is in the form of a victimized citizen or some nobleman’s wife and other minor roles. Okay, the addition of Beth in the third book is quite promising, but it doesn’t feel adequate. When I encountered this series, the premise reminded me of Game of Thrones with the intricate plot, power plays, medieval settings with incorporation of magic and all that. In my opinion, Game of Thrones is the perfect example that a story being set in a medieval world is not a justification to deny female characters of important and well-established roles.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I was wondering about the same thing too! The series have quite an unusual and slow way of presenting the characters. It feels like watching a TV series where the characters and the plot are gradually unfolding. The female characters will be crucial for the next books of the series. This book is only an introduction, so it's normal we don't have much female presence.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

aaurba wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:08 When I was reading the book, I noticed that there are no major female characters involved in the storyline. The protagonist, the protagonist's friends, Voulhire's leader, Riva Rohavi's leader, Hillport's leader, and the magical antagonist are all males. Many people say that given the book's medieval setting, it is only common that the book also follows medieval norms: decreased roles for women and bigger roles for men.

What is your opinion on this? Does the above explanation completely justify the book's lack of female main characters?
I know. The lack of strong female characters in the early books was not a little disturbing.

However, later in in the series, there are female that will arise and play pivotal roles in saving Voulhire.
So, all's well that ends well.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

The few female characters we meet include the mayor's wife and daughter, Beth, and the housekeeper. So far, apart from the first two, these characters seem to hold some weight. I'm not sure that, simply due to the medieval settings of a story, the lack of central female figures is justified, but the way how this book is set up leaves room for the introduction of new characters. Most female characters in fantasy are downgraded to arm candy most of the time, so I'm hoping this doesn't happen in this series.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

It is too early to judge I guess. This is just the first book in the series and we still have a long way to go. However, the author might have done this purposefully; to imply that we don't need the entire generation of women but just a few (determined) to bring a change.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

Well, the first female character I met was Lord Orlin's guard who was terminated by Meldorath in the prologue. Other characters are Rita, the lady at the Inn at Magnum Caelum. There is also Both, Lord Eldus wife and daughter. I think that it points to gender roles at the time as set by the author. Tysz having been born and raised in Long Island must harbor some element of patriarchy owing to historic background of Puritans and Dutch back in the 16century. History and societal norms shape writers.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

This is a really interesting question because we have to take into account multiple factors - the time period it takes place in, the setting within that time period. The woman warrior in me wants to insist that there is nothing that justifies the lack of strong women in this first book; however, I am reassured by several people saying that they became a more significant part of the series moving forward, so maybe they didn't make sense for the vision the author had for this particular book.
Pinning_RJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinning-rj.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Pinning_RJ »

I noticed that too! The lack of female characters made me less prone to connect to the story. Apart from Beth and the housekeeper, all other mentionable and prominent charachters were male. I don't think it's justified!
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

Nduthu43 wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 08:51 Tysz having been born and raised in Long Island must harbor some element of patriarchy owing to historic background of Puritans and Dutch back in the 16century. History and societal norms shape writers.
Glad you paid attention! To be honest though, I haven't met a lot of Dutch or Puritans on Long Island. In fact, LI has a very high number of Catholics and Jews as compared to the rest of the United States. Racially, LI is a melting pot. In fact, in the school district of my hometown, caucasians are actually under 50% of the population with a spike in hispanic and asian families moving here in the past few decades.

As for my part, my family came to the island during the immigration boom of the 1880's, chiefly from Poland, Ireland, and Italy. Maybe the roots of those cultures show in my writing, for better or worse. Something to definitely think about!
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

Well, there you go. I note that Poland, Ireland and Italy are patriarchal to date. These cultures inform not only content but also imagination. It isn't surprising then that the role of women in your writings is limited and of, should I say inferior to the one played by men? Thank you for this insight. I intend to read the fourth book. Noted.
Lost Souls world
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-souls-world.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lost Souls world »

I don’t think the book have any bad impact by not adding any important female protagonist the story goes well. May be in the next books of this series some female characters will be added. But I think according to the story the characters are justified.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I don't think a medieval setting is an excuse for not writing strong female leads; it's a fantasy story, after all. You can write whatever you want without it being historically accurate. However, there were some indications that the role division is a little different in Voulhire, as I did notice there was a female guard (perhaps even more), there was a female judge, and education was available for women as well. That's not exactly medieval style.

Still, none of these characters were protagonists (apart from Beth, in one chapter), but did any of them needed to be? Probably, it would've been possible to make Lord Eldus or the Riva Rohavi's host female. I don't think that would've altered the plot all that much. But, honestly, if Tysz came up with these characters as being male, and he wanted to write them as male, then that's his right as an author. While it's important to be conscious about the impact of stories and add diversity, I think writing with diversity in mind just for the sake of diversity won't do the writing much good.

It's a complicated issue though (especially as one can make the argument not just for female characters, but also for including LGBTQ and POC characters).
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Beth's character is fascinating, as I would see it :) Also, let us not disregard the Lord Eldus' servant. She is captivating. She holds all the keys and knows all the mysteries. Likewise, she would ignore numerous abhorrent things just to endure. She is very essential.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I don't find this particularly concerning if I am honest. Being set in a medieval period, it seems normal that their are more men, no matter how annoying it may be. There are a lot of books that are predominantly female based with barely any developed male characters. I really think it depends on the context of the book and the setting of the story. For this book it may seem normal, but in another it might not be as acceptable. So yeah, it doesn't really bother me!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”