Is the plot really original?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Re: Is the plot really original?

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

With how many books are in existence, it’s almost impossible to create a completely original and unique story. This medieval/good vs. evil story is one that has been done many times, but it has it’s own newness that keeps it from being “just another Middle Ages story”.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

With how many books are in existence, it’s almost impossible to create a completely original and unique story. This medieval/good vs. evil story is one that has been done many times, but it has it’s own newness that keeps it from being “just another Middle Ages story”.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:02 Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
Indeed it resembles a lot of other books on this topic but it has to contain these characters that represent evil and good having magical powers . But the introduction of other realms such as caromentis cosmos and the realm of souls makes this series a bit gripping and different than other such books
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

The author's style is very unique despite the similarity of the plot with other science fiction books. Personally, the dancing fighters is definitely new and unique.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

Although part of the book may appear similar to other books, to me that's just the general fantasy elements. The orphan protagonist and fight between good and evil is often used, yet it is quite interesting. But the story still has it's own unique elements and the writing alone takes it to an entirely different level.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

While I definitely see some inspiration taken from popular fantasy, sci-fi novels, the final product the author has presented to us seems quite unique. I'm fascinated by this world he has created.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I feel that there are similarities in any book of this genre because there are only so many elements that separate it from others. I don’t think it was original either, just a different take on certain things. I wasn’t a huge fan of the book and do not plan to read the sequels but that has more to do with it just not being for me than a serious plot issue.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

I am afraid that nowadays people are so fascinated with fantasy genre, that too many books were written. Many bad, some good and just selected few truly great, but I believe it becomes impossible to find any completely original. Genre has it's laws and authors must abide them or else disappoint readers. But we really got lucky with story, Matthew Tysz added many unique touches making it unforgettable!
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

In a lot of the fantasy novels I have read, magic has been incorporated in the real world. In this it's a separate world. I see a lot of potential for that because the author has more to work with. The plot on is somewhat original.
jeetramjat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeetramjat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeetramjat »

This is a unique book. There are common concepts in the story but Caromentis is something unique and this book reminded me of Game of thrones.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I have never read something similar, and I find this book original in all aspects. This is definitely a refreshment in fantasy world of books.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:58 The idea of evil vs good is as old as time. Any book you pick will have an idea of evil or some concept of good. I think the story is original with interesting characters and a pick of modern day situations. So, its not a common variation of Middle Ages books.
Indeed. I agree.
In this sense, most books, if not all, are unoriginal as they discuss good and evil characters and good triumphing over evil most times.

However, there were unique creations like Caromentis, the Nighty-nights, and other charaters unique to this story.
The plot also mixes middle age and modern day situations . and, of has a unique vocabulary, which seems like a mixture of German, English, maybe Spanish. These are the things that make the story unique.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Yes, why? I feel that this book is a product of innate creativity and very unique. I've never read anything like it. Again, the mixture of spirituality and magic? That's a new one for me. Very original!
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

I feel the book's plot is original. Matthew Tysz made sure that the picture of Voulhire and Soulhire are quite unique. Most Medieval novels are predictable, not this series. The character of Galen was an introduction of suspense.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It's pretty hard to create a completely original concept, even more so in fantasy. The common tropes are there, yes, but the story itself seems pretty decent and not too cliched. If you're reading fantasy and you don't think, at one moment or the other, hey, this seems pretty familiar, then that author deserves a round of applause.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”