Is the plot really original?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Is the plot really original?

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:02 Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
In my opinion, this story is unique. The conception of Caromentis is very unique to start with. The author creates his own mythology, in this book it's just Caromentis, but it continues to develop as the story-lines unfold in the next books of the series. Yamon Soul is outstanding too, I would say. That's why I love this author's books, he always manages to surprise :)
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The idea of evil vs good is as old as time. Any book you pick will have an idea of evil or some concept of good. I think the story is original with interesting characters and a pick of modern day situations. So, its not a common variation of Middle Ages books.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

In my review of this book I actually mentioned that it contains elements that are similar to other science fiction book. To my understanding the genre itself holds similarities whether you explore magic, time travel or other fantastic plot lines. Therefore, most books are actually similar. However I think that stories are more that the sum of its parts, even though you might think that the plot is like other stories what truly matters is the narration and how much you enjoyed the book.
Guete Zuelo
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guete-zuelo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Guete Zuelo »

Tysz indeed wrote a good book. The good world-building should be pointed out. But I'm going to agree with you that it resembles other books. Though it's okay to have many different books about medieval culture, magic, and the dichotomy between good and evil, I think there's nothing exclusive this book can offer :cry:
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

It may have caught a storyline around similar topics. Meanwhile, this author's work is very unique. Not so many have tried relating magic with science in the style he did. His story is original.
Gabrielle Sigaki

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 12:18
gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:02 Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
In my opinion, this story is unique. The conception of Caromentis is very unique to start with. The author creates his own mythology, in this book it's just Caromentis, but it continues to develop as the story-lines unfold in the next books of the series. Yamon Soul is outstanding too, I would say. That's why I love this author's books, he always manages to surprise :)
Indeed the author creates a unique concept in this perspective of the mythology. I think that there are some unique aspects, such as that one you talked about, and the map of the whole world of the story. However, I think there are also some aspects that seem common, for example, a war for the throne. Maybe there are some aspects that there's no way to alter, but in the end it's indeed an amazing book :D
Gabrielle Sigaki

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:58 The idea of evil vs good is as old as time. Any book you pick will have an idea of evil or some concept of good. I think the story is original with interesting characters and a pick of modern day situations. So, its not a common variation of Middle Ages books.
The Manichaean perspectives of good and evil are indeed something common in a lot of great books. However, it's great to see when the author makes a story that no one is entirely bad or entirely good. I found it very interesting, but indeed the characters and the story are unique. :tiphat:
Gabrielle Sigaki

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 18:32 In my review of this book I actually mentioned that it contains elements that are similar to other science fiction book. To my understanding the genre itself holds similarities whether you explore magic, time travel or other fantastic plot lines. Therefore, most books are actually similar. However I think that stories are more that the sum of its parts, even though you might think that the plot is like other stories what truly matters is the narration and how much you enjoyed the book.
That's an interesting question. There are some aspects that might always seem similar to other books with fantasy and that's what makes them books of this genre, but there are also some books that we can't categorize in any genre, and I found it very impressive. The book is really gripping, and fascinating, so the fact that the book was enjoyable is really something important to consider. :D
Gabrielle Sigaki

Guete Zuelo wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 18:40 Tysz indeed wrote a good book. The good world-building should be pointed out. But I'm going to agree with you that it resembles other books. Though it's okay to have many different books about medieval culture, magic, and the dichotomy between good and evil, I think there's nothing exclusive this book can offer :cry:
The fact that this book is great indeed doesn't change with those common features. However, the author's style is unique, it's engaging and it's always hard to put down his books. That's something to consider too. In the end, there are a lot of common aspects, but some unique aspects too. :techie-studyingbrown:
Gabrielle Sigaki

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 00:49 It may have caught a storyline around similar topics. Meanwhile, this author's work is very unique. Not so many have tried relating magic with science in the style he did. His story is original.
Yes, I agree with you that the author's style is unique, and it's a great book. However, I think that there are some novels with magic and science like in this book, maybe it's more related to my subject experience though.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:43
Indeed the author creates a unique concept in this perspective of the mythology. I think that there are some unique aspects, such as that one you talked about, and the map of the whole world of the story. However, I think there are also some aspects that seem common, for example, a war for the throne. Maybe there are some aspects that there's no way to alter, but in the end it's indeed an amazing book :D
I agree, the first book looks like a classic fantasy novel :) But, for example, Riva Rohavi is another one uncommon aspect, in my opinion. Their dances gave me chill :shock2: :D
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I think I would rather use the word unique for the plot. I think that the Galen story added something different to it. I haven't read the other books in the series, but I expect Galen to be a more prominent protagonist despite all the magical powers which the others possessed.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I'd say some elements, such as Caromentis, are quite original, while the pseudo-medieval setting is less so.

I also believe A Song of Ice and Fire is probably one of Tysz's influences. Like that series, We Are Voulhire has multiple viewpoints, and politics makes up a good part of the story. The Riva Rohavi remind me a bit of the wildlings and are even based in the northern part of the country.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

There are definitely some common concepts, such as a war for the throne, magic, and the whole bad vs good. However, the story itself is quite unique, especially when it comes to mythology.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”