Is the plot really original?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Re: Is the plot really original?

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I can understand why anyone would think that certain parts of Voulhire is not original. At some point, I do too. But as I carefully analyze each character and turn of events that I thought I you saw or read somewhere, I'd realize that it is not. I'll follow a character thinking that he'll do this or that because it resembles someone somewhere and then I'll be proven wrong. And that's the beauty of Tysz's plot. He will keep you on your toes and will keep you surprised with all the twist and turns. :D
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

a_r_egerton wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 12:09 I'd say some elements, such as Caromentis, are quite original, while the pseudo-medieval setting is less so.

I also believe A Song of Ice and Fire is probably one of Tysz's influences. Like that series, We Are Voulhire has multiple viewpoints, and politics makes up a good part of the story. The Riva Rohavi remind me a bit of the wildlings and are even based in the northern part of the country.
It makes a lot of sense. I felt some aspects that are similar to what appears in the books of George R. R. Martin. However, Caromentis is really a unique aspect of this book.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 10:01
gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:43
Indeed the author creates a unique concept in this perspective of the mythology. I think that there are some unique aspects, such as that one you talked about, and the map of the whole world of the story. However, I think there are also some aspects that seem common, for example, a war for the throne. Maybe there are some aspects that there's no way to alter, but in the end it's indeed an amazing book :D
I agree, the first book looks like a classic fantasy novel :) But, for example, Riva Rohavi is another one uncommon aspect, in my opinion. Their dances gave me chill :shock2: :D
Yes, I remember it too. That part is very impactating :lol2: I think that like a lot of books this one has its unique aspects and other that are common. It's an interesting novel.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

a_r_egerton wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 12:09 I'd say some elements, such as Caromentis, are quite original, while the pseudo-medieval setting is less so.

I also believe A Song of Ice and Fire is probably one of Tysz's influences. Like that series, We Are Voulhire has multiple viewpoints, and politics makes up a good part of the story. The Riva Rohavi remind me a bit of the wildlings and are even based in the northern part of the country.
You make some great points comparing this book to the Game of Thrones. I didn't make those connections until I read your post; Eldus and Ned Stark are also quite similar. I should stop having favorite characters: authors seem to enjoy killing them...
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 18:32 In my review of this book I actually mentioned that it contains elements that are similar to other science fiction book. To my understanding the genre itself holds similarities whether you explore magic, time travel or other fantastic plot lines. Therefore, most books are actually similar. However I think that stories are more that the sum of its parts, even though you might think that the plot is like other stories what truly matters is the narration and how much you enjoyed the book.
This is a great point. I think there can never be a truly original book; you can only combine the pieces in a unique way. Caromentis, the political strife, and the invading Riva are not unique aspects on their own, but when combined into one book, they make a new story.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 10:01
gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:43
Indeed the author creates a unique concept in this perspective of the mythology. I think that there are some unique aspects, such as that one you talked about, and the map of the whole world of the story. However, I think there are also some aspects that seem common, for example, a war for the throne. Maybe there are some aspects that there's no way to alter, but in the end it's indeed an amazing book :D
I agree, the first book looks like a classic fantasy novel :) But, for example, Riva Rohavi is another one uncommon aspect, in my opinion. Their dances gave me chill :shock2: :D
The dancing I think was a very unique part of the story. I don't think I have read any other story with such an emphasis on dance. The Voulhirians use it as part of their celebrations, and the Riva use it in their fighting. The cultures seem like their key feature is dance.
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

Is there really any truly original work. In my opinion, this book sure has a lot of the same theme as other fantasy book but it has enough variation that makes it an original
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think any book of this type about medival times has commonality with others. However, I think it is the characters that make the story. Books about medival times always have a king and/or queen, someone who can do magic, and so on. But I found myself reading a new story because of the characters. So, there can be a basic plot but a different spin on it. I think this book is unique in that way.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Nhitra wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 13:39 Is there really any truly original work. In my opinion, this book sure has a lot of the same theme as other fantasy book but it has enough variation that makes it an original
I agree with your idea that there is no truly original work. I think that there are a large variety of elements that different author's use, and the only way that you can write a "unique" story is by combining them in a different way then others have, or perhaps by writing from a different character's perspective.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

In my opinion, the author has created a new unique fantasy world. It did have similar aspects to other stories, such as the use if kings, mages, and magic; but, I found the mix of medieval and modern speach and seemingly more advanced technology a unique take on what is considered the norm.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Well nowadays I think it is really hard to find something completely original as everything has been influenced by something whether they realise or not, so I do believe that this is gonna be an original story, its just that the setting seems familiar.
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:02 Matthew Tysz brings in this novel a fascinating story with magic, some mysterious characters, and a lot more. I loved the book and thought that it was well-developed with an engaging and gripping plot. However, I also thought that it resembled other books I read about a medieval world with magical powers, heroes, kings, evil, and good. Do you think that the story is indeed unique or a common variation of the Middle Ages books?
I believe it is! As more books are written and we read them, they can all tend to run together in a way. It is up tot he author to find a hook for the audience to hold on to and read the book. As stated earlier by others comments. In the end, it is up to you if you like it or not and want to read more. We constantly read, and watch, the hero's journey. Honestly, if somone is able to break that mold and write a great story, I would be impressed.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Overall, it is very reminiscent of other books that are set in the Middle Ages. It has similar themes that involve political schemes, war, dispute over thrones, juxtaposition of magic and science fiction etc. But I think the author made a unique version of it in some aspects. A lot of elements and concepts were new and fascinating like the Caromentis and Cosmos.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I haven't read many fantasy books, but from the movies I've seen, it may not exactly be a unique concept. However, the way he brings out the characters, setting and plot is quite different. For me, Voulhire is portrayed in a unique way, a medieval city that is quite advanced but still culturally rich. This is a good series and to me, that's what matters.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

From what I've read so far, I think the plot is a unique one. It might seem a bit like what other author's have written, but as long as the author was creative in his own way, then I think the plot is original.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”