Prince Darius

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Re: Prince Darius

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:21 Although he was a secondary character, I couldn't help but feel that prince Darius was an awkward character; his character didn't seem to fit into the background of the Voulhire story. Besides his unusual lack of interest in the throne, his manner of speaking, and his sport of preference, jogging, seemed too contemporary for the time this book is supposedly set in. What do you think of His character?
If you read the books that come later he plays a bigger role in the story and his personality is more typical to a spoilt rich kid. I think he seems fitting for his role and more importantly a more unique and original role rather than the sterio typical savior and hero prince.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Prince Darius was an indifferent person as far as matters concerning the throne were concerned. To me, he was a total misfit as his characterization in the book did not play out as supposed.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

He's a side piece that has no real contribution to the plot, as far as I know
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

There were several contemporary references, not only Darius, that I found really off-putting and not adequate for the medieval fantasy genre this story is set in.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 04:52 It's true we didn't get to see much of him and he is unusual to put it nicely, but I have a feeling he is gonna play an important role in the future, and let's not forget thst he is after all the only son of the king and the heir to the throne.
He is the king's only son, but in Voulhire, the king can choose anyone as his heir as long as the Council approves the heir. I agree that Maido might be planning something for Darius to stir up trouble for Wilhelm, though.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:47 There were several contemporary references, not only Darius, that I found really off-putting and not adequate for the medieval fantasy genre this story is set in.
I agree. The jogging especially weirded me out. I don't recall many other ones that pulled me out of the story like the jogging did, but perhaps there are others in the rest of the series.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

He doesn't seem to be an irrelevant character. Although his presence in this book is not strong, the author still mentioned him occasionally. Maybe he can bring an unexpected surprise in the next books.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I think that there is a reason for every character that survives a book. Tysz has a plan for him, for sure, and he will emerge when the time is right. But I'm sure there's more to him than just a rebellious teenager.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Krista Ash wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 14:22
mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:47 There were several contemporary references, not only Darius, that I found really off-putting and not adequate for the medieval fantasy genre this story is set in.
I agree. The jogging especially weirded me out. I don't recall many other ones that pulled me out of the story like the jogging did, but perhaps there are others in the rest of the series.
What especially bothered me was some very modern dialogue and swear words. I know that it's a fiction novel and the author can do whatever he pleases, but if you are using a certain genre, you need to be aware of audience's expectations of what it entails.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

mariana90 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 12:49
Krista Ash wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 14:22
What especially bothered me was some very modern dialogue and swear words. I know that it's a fiction novel and the author can do whatever he pleases, but if you are using a certain genre, you need to be aware of audience's expectations of what it entails.
Very true. I found the modern language/slang was fine, but in book 2, I've noticed references to golfing and advanced science, which doesn't really fit with the swords and horses everyone's using. Maybe the author intended Voulhire to be more like WW1 level of society, but it seems like someone would have developed a musket or something.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:21 Although he was a secondary character, I couldn't help but feel that prince Darius was an awkward character; his character didn't seem to fit into the background of the Voulhire story. Besides his unusual lack of interest in the throne, his manner of speaking, and his sport of preference, jogging, seemed too contemporary for the time this book is supposedly set in. What do you think of His character?
I totally agree. I thought he was childish. Plus, he was being pampered and was barely interested in anything.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I agree, Prince Darius is an odd character. The behaviours he shows seem to be more of those that modern teenagers would show. They do not fit with the setting of the book. For instance, instead of loving dance as the people of his culture, he loves to jog instead.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

It's so true. Though the story is set in medieval times prince Darius is portrayed as a typical teenager from modern times. Equal rights, gender discrimination, wealth gap, and many modern topics come up in the books frequently.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Yes! I'm so glad you brought up the jogging scene — that was completely out of place. I think his character might become important in subsequent books, so far, the author has not found him a fitting place in the story.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I was baffled by his appearance also, his jogging and his attire were indeed in clash with the rest of the Voulhire's background. Maybe fitness is one of the things in which Voulhire has progressed very well. Coming to Darius, I think he is a little spoiled. Although he acts disinterested, I think he wants the throne.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”