Prince Darius

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Icon Prince Darius

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Although he was a secondary character, I couldn't help but feel that prince Darius was an awkward character; his character didn't seem to fit into the background of the Voulhire story. Besides his unusual lack of interest in the throne, his manner of speaking, and his sport of preference, jogging, seemed too contemporary for the time this book is supposedly set in. What do you think of His character?
Live and let live, baby.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Prince Darius is really irrelevant. First of all, he acts and speaks like an ordinary teenager from our time and not some medieval era :) Maybe he's shown that way to indicate that Mianora is very useless too, since he spends much time with them... Hope for his further development tho.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I think the author build a character like Darius, so that he stands out in character in the palace and it'll be easier for the readiers to picture such a character. I feel like there's a need for a weird person such as him.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Since he is heir to the throne, Darius may surprise us yet. Midius Maido seems bent on earning his favor.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:21 Although he was a secondary character, I couldn't help but feel that prince Darius was an awkward character; his character didn't seem to fit into the background of the Voulhire story. Besides his unusual lack of interest in the throne, his manner of speaking, and his sport of preference, jogging, seemed too contemporary for the time this book is supposedly set in. What do you think of His character?
I agree. I was wondering how come he was the only one with bleached-blond hair and piercings. Also, his vernacular was completely different from all of the other characters. He seemed out-of-place in a medieval-style fantasy novel.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 10:53 Prince Darius is really irrelevant. First of all, he acts and speaks like an ordinary teenager from our time and not some medieval era :) Maybe he's shown that way to indicate that Mianora is very useless too, since he spends much time with them... Hope for his further development tho.
Does he not remind you of Braden Hale from Tysz's other series :D? Anyway, I think Darius is actually an interesting character, even though he acts like a rebellious teenager. He was the first and only one (asides from Galen) who dared to face an unknown monster for his daddy. And while he was not very friendly with Maido, he still tried to save the man's life.
Adu Boahene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adu-boahene.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Adu Boahene »

I think Prince Darius isn't as irrelevant to the story as some may think. Though we only heard and saw like two snippet of him, I think it's only the beginning for him. His character can be 'bratty', but under that I feel like there is a man yet to be discovered as the series proceeds.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:56 Does he not remind you of Braden Hale from Tysz's other series :D?
He does a little bit :D Darius is a character in development, and I hope he plays a larger part in the next books :)
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

Darius's disinterest in the throne was very different from what I was expecting. My original impression of him, before meeting him, was that he'd act entitled, not like he knew that (and was okay with) his father didn't want him as the heir.
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

Prince Darius, in my opinion, is a useless character. I don't understand why he was included
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
ClaZig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clazig.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ClaZig »

To be honest, I'm not very fond of Darius. Despite being the heir, I found him exceptionally stereotypical and quite boring. Nonetheless, I wonder how he could have become such a bland person considering his father's character. The king seems to be someone who highly values progress, popular well being, and culture, but his son simply did not inherit those features. This makes me wonder how different the king might be in his personal life. Also, I guess Darius personality opens space for a huge character development in the future, so I kind of understand why Tysz would portray him like that. However, I think the author exaggerated.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

blackjack1 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 05:18 Prince Darius, in my opinion, is a useless character. I don't understand why he was included
I think he was included in the book to introduce his character for the rest of the series, but I do agree that his role is very minor in Book 1.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

ClaZig wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 07:20 To be honest, I'm not very fond of Darius. Despite being the heir, I found him exceptionally stereotypical and quite boring. Nonetheless, I wonder how he could have become such a bland person considering his father's character. The king seems to be someone who highly values progress, popular well being, and culture, but his son simply did not inherit those features. This makes me wonder how different the king might be in his personal life. Also, I guess Darius personality opens space for a huge character development in the future, so I kind of understand why Tysz would portray him like that. However, I think the author exaggerated.
I agree that Darius and Wilhelm are opposites. Darius doesn't seem to care about anything political, but when he talks Maido, he implies that he has a pretty good relationship with his father. Based on Wilhelm's opinions though, he doesn't seem like he cares about Darius. I'm curious where their relationship will go.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I agree, I felt Prince Darius was unusual, like an exaggerated representation of a rude youth who happens to be royalty. Or a character from a different time. I did not find his character endearing and I simply could not understand the reason for his actions so I found it hard to feel empathy for him.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

It's true we didn't get to see much of him and he is unusual to put it nicely, but I have a feeling he is gonna play an important role in the future, and let's not forget thst he is after all the only son of the king and the heir to the throne.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”