Caromentis vs Cosmos.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Re: Caromentis vs Cosmos.

Post by Sarrikoziol »

a_r_egerton wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 09:02 There are also different types of magics, and I find the division to be roughly analogous to that used in some of the Dungeons and Dragons games. Tysz describes three worlds: Caromentis, Cosmos (the physical or "real world"), and Alitheia (the spiritual world). Most of the magic-users are mages who get their powers by somehow tapping into the energies from Caromentis. Cosmites are people who can magically tap into the energies of the physical world, much as a mage can tap into Caromentis. They're described as being extremely rare, and they may be comparable to D & D's psionicists. At least some of the priests, including the Eiodi, have magical abilities, and I see them as being akin to D & D's clerics.
I agree with you here. I couldn't quite place what this book reminded me of until your description. It has been a long time since I played Dungeons & Dragons. However, you are absolutely right about how everything sort of mimics. It even has its own Spirit World. It was between the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane back when I played. I do like the cohesiveness. Thank you for the brain smack so to speak. It helped to jog my memory on something which has been driving me crazy since I finished the book.

As for the magic vs science game, I don't feel they are battling here. I do think magic is a little more prominent and "in your face" more throughout the book. I see the science side of Voulhire as more akin to just professions.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:00 The idea of a world of magic (Caromentis) and a world governed by physical laws (Cosmos) existing side by side in the Voulhirian universe was fascinating. I felt as if the author was hinting a magic vs science war. Voulhire's industries run on science, whereas the military uses magic to maintain law in the country. Meldorath uses magic to literally annihilate his enemies. What are your thoughts regarding this juxtaposition of magic with science?
So far, magic was highlighted in this book; however, science was not completely dismissed. Science is necessary to understand magic, but I still have no idea what are the benefits of magic to science. Matthew is tackling matters that are rather complicated to devise. Nevertheless, I have high trust that we will receive more understanding in the coexistence of magic and science in Voulhire's universe.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

The whole concept of two worlds different from others created by God was quite fascinating. Cosmos...the physical realm of laws and rules, and Caromentis...a world of darkness and magic. Beth's small description of this world gave us an insight into it and gives rise to a curiosity about it.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I think that the clash of magic vs. science is similar to the clash between science and religion. You brought up an interesting point about the possibility of a war being fought to decide whether magic or science is better. But even in the book, it is implied that both skills actually complement each other.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I did not get any implication that the author was pitting magic against science. In the case of Meldorath, he made them complement each other. With all his mage magic Meldorath was always doing experiments. He even created and spread that virus that enabled him to see through the eyes of several people. I'd say that's science and magic.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I didn't put that into much consideration. But I agree with you, the realm of the caromentis and the cosmos is literally a place of magic and science apart.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

It did not feel like a magic vs science kind of book. Rather it felt like Magic and a bit of science. Most important institutions and personalities in the book were based on magic, while science compliments them. I do applaud the author’s originality.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”