Caromentis vs Cosmos.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Re: Caromentis vs Cosmos.

Post by Rwill0988 »

I don't think there is necessarily conflict between magic and science. I think they complement each other in the series. At one point, I think it's in the second book, a character actually describes the importance of balance between magic, faith and science.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

Rwill0988 wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 21:41 I don't think there is necessarily conflict between magic and science. I think they complement each other in the series. At one point, I think it's in the second book, a character actually describes the importance of balance between magic, faith and science.
I agree. I also suspect that this balance will be what allows Galen and his friends to overcome their powerful enemies, like Meldorath and the Emperor of Lullabies, who might focus on only one of the three types of power.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Magic and Science in this fantastic universe does seem to clash. Especially since Caromentis is described as a place where one's imagination is key which seems to contradict with Science since Science relies on what is real.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I didn't mind the juxtaposition very much. Events in our world are also influenced by both the spiritual and physical world. The only disadvantage is that many characters used their magical powers to oppress those who didn't have it.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:37 It looks to me that the author is leaning towards the prowess of magic. Aside from Virko, the other cities are not very familiar with science. All the powerful characters are more or less using magic: Meldorath, Demetrius, the Church of Destinism, the Mianoran, Virko's demons, Folcro, Marshus, the Chalethirian knights, the Joshuan, the Emperor. The more I read the more dominant magic becomes in the books.
I agree with this. I think the world focuses more on magic than on technological advancement, although the sciences do still have their place in the common culture of Voulhire's population.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Book 6, Flesh of the Mind, goes into a lot of detail about Caromentis, and a lot of the action takes place there. The inhabitants' residences are shaped by their memories and imaginations, which I find fascinating and appealing. There are also artificial life forms or simulacra created in the same fashion, and that may be appealing or unsettling, depending on one's point of view.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

The idea of an unseen magical universe was one of my favorite things about this book, especially when the girl arrives from Caromentis and discovers the purposefulness of the physical world.
Yes, the combination of science and magic (without stepping into each other toes) is most intriguing.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

What a fascinating question! I feel there is still much for us as readers to learn about both Caromentis and Cosmos - this book was just a snippet to get us interested. It would be very interesting to see if there will be a science versus magic war, or if the Voulhirians can find a way to balance the two and let them work together to further their society.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

They'll possibly be given a stage to see which outmatches which. I love when fantasy ties the two together, and I really enjoyed how it was accomplished in the We are Voulhire series so far. I'm not sure as to whether there will be an all-out war just yet, but I am looking forward to how the two will interact with each other.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I think in the world of Voulhire alone can these exist parallel to each other. The author was hinting at a war between science and magic. But, I feel like because the Voulhirian kingdom uses both science and magic to prosper they are both vital for stabilization of the kingdom.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I loved the combination of science and magic, two of my favorite topics. Seeing them combined in a book was fun to read and see the author explore.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I always love when magic and science are explored in relation to each other. I find it very interesting. Both are complex topics and there are so many ways for an author to decide how they interact.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

The moment Beth appeared from the magical world to Voulhire, I wanted more exploration and discussion about Caromentis. Further along in the books, I want to see if Voulhire has enough magical backup to combat those who come from Caromentis. The fight scene in this book showed me that Voulhire was not well-equipped as they should've been, so, who knows.
caina3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caina3.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by caina3 »

I did not feel that the author may be hinting at war between the Cosmos and Caromentis. If that happens, Caromentis will win, hands down. What could the magic world want that they could only get from the Cosmos? It is more likely that the Cosmos will try to get magic abilities from Caromentis to gain power, which is exactly what Meldorath did. Not everyone in the Cosmos could use magic if it were freely available. We need some good guys from the Cosmos to use magic to fight Meldorath and others who would use magic to do evil. Since the reader was led to believe in the possibility that Marshus survived, maybe he will be a part of the good guys who save Voulhire from Meldorath. However, this author does have some non-traditional ideas when writing his worlds, and perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised with what happens. Additionally, the introduction of a being from the magic world crossing over to the Cosmos could cause a war depending on who she represents in Caromentis. Sadly, her first encounter is with Meldorath; I am interested to see how that relationship develops.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

In my opinion, there is an imbalance between science and magic. Magic ranks higher than science. The people who are most feared are the mages like the old mad who was a biomage and Meldorath who possessed great magical powers than the rest.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”