Caromentis vs Cosmos.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Caromentis vs Cosmos.

Post by rahilshajahan »

The idea of a world of magic (Caromentis) and a world governed by physical laws (Cosmos) existing side by side in the Voulhirian universe was fascinating. I felt as if the author was hinting a magic vs science war. Voulhire's industries run on science, whereas the military uses magic to maintain law in the country. Meldorath uses magic to literally annihilate his enemies. What are your thoughts regarding this juxtaposition of magic with science?
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

This is a very interesting question, and it will be explained in due time so to say :) To avoid any spoilers, I would only say that I loved the descriptions of Caromentis given from young Beth's perspective. They are priceless, and the author's imagination has no boundaries.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Indeed, the inclusion of magic gives the author limitless possibilities. I wonder what the lactis will be used for? Maybe Galen will forge a magical sword to counter the powers of the mages. Let's wait and see.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I found Caromentis a fascinating concept, and I like the idea that mages owe their power to an ability to tap into a magical world. I enjoyed the descriptions of the various types of magics in Voulhire. Biomagic sounds creepy and somewhat reminiscent of the "bloodbending" in Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I really liked the way Tysz sees magic and how it connects with the science and the spirit. Very original!
Magic and science are not enemies, as they can work together to augment the intended effect.
And how can one become a biomage? Is science involved?
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:03 I really liked the way Tysz sees magic and how it connects with the science and the spirit. Very original!
Magic and science are not enemies, as they can work together to augment the intended effect.
And how can one become a biomage? Is science involved?
I don't think science is involved in becoming any type of mage. Biomages just control body functions, right?
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:47 Indeed, the inclusion of magic gives the author limitless possibilities. I wonder what the lactis will be used for? Maybe Galen will forge a magical sword to counter the powers of the mages. Let's wait and see.
He does get a sword in the upcoming books, but I don't think it has any magical (Caromentis) powers. What do you think it might be imbued with?
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

It looks to me that the author is leaning towards the prowess of magic. Aside from Virko, the other cities are not very familiar with science. All the powerful characters are more or less using magic: Meldorath, Demetrius, the Church of Destinism, the Mianoran, Virko's demons, Folcro, Marshus, the Chalethirian knights, the Joshuan, the Emperor. The more I read the more dominant magic becomes in the books.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

There are also different types of magics, and I find the division to be roughly analogous to that used in some of the Dungeons and Dragons games. Tysz describes three worlds: Caromentis, Cosmos (the physical or "real world"), and Alitheia (the spiritual world). Most of the magic-users are mages who get their powers by somehow tapping into the energies from Caromentis. Cosmites are people who can magically tap into the energies of the physical world, much as a mage can tap into Caromentis. They're described as being extremely rare, and they may be comparable to D & D's psionicists. At least some of the priests, including the Eiodi, have magical abilities, and I see them as being akin to D & D's clerics.
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:37 It looks to me that the author is leaning towards the prowess of magic. Aside from Virko, the other cities are not very familiar with science. All the powerful characters are more or less using magic: Meldorath, Demetrius, the Church of Destinism, the Mianoran, Virko's demons, Folcro, Marshus, the Chalethirian knights, the Joshuan, the Emperor. The more I read the more dominant magic becomes in the books.
I can see that magic has a huge role in the story mainly because of one reason, it needn't be explained as explicitly as science. I agree with you on the fact that the author does lean towards Caromentian concepts a lot down the line in the series.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

The science vs. magic comparison is very intriguing. I wonder where it will go in the rest of the series. Since magic is incredibly powerful in Cosmos, I wonder if science is somewhat rare but powerful in Caromentis?
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

The concept of two congruent worlds of magic and reality is not new. But the concept of magic vs. science is most intriguing. I had not thought of it in those terms, but it makes sense. Coincidentally, the proposed question resonates so closely with the current climate. On the one hand, the rational argument about Covid-19 is to listen to science to combat it effectively. On the other hand, there is an alternative view that it will magically go away. In our world, as in Voulhire, you have to wonder about which side will be victorious.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I think that in this book magic, sience, and faith all struggle for dominance and it will be a big part of the story moving forward. I cant wait to see which will prevail. But I also thnk we need all three to maintain a balance.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:43 I think that in this book magic, sience, and faith all struggle for dominance and it will be a big part of the story moving forward. I cant wait to see which will prevail. But I also thnk we need all three to maintain a balance.
I like the thought of our need for balance. I also forgot about the trio of "power-types" before reading this post. I wonder if magic, science, and faith are sort of in a rock-paper-scissors balance, where each type is more powerful than one of the others and less powerful than one (ex: faith beats magic which beats science which beats faith).
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Honestly, I loved the combination of science and magic. The world of Caromentis is quite powerful. In my opinion, the magical element in this book has brought a great twist to the story and the author might stick on with it.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”