If you could change one thing about the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Re: If you could change one thing about the book?

Post by zainherb »

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 08:37 Imagine you were given a chance to change one thing about the book. It could be a person, an event, a decision, a course of action, or anything else.

How would you use this opportunity? Or do you think the book is perfect as it is? :eusa-think:
I would make it longer. I would also allow the main story start quicker and remove unnecessary details from the book.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I would make sure that the characters aren't scattered everywhere. I'll tie up loose ends better, and also explain the origins of the biomage.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

These are the exact thoughts that go on in my mind anytime I remember this novel. If I'm given such opportunity, I will change the purpose for the character of Galen. I will give him a royal lineage which I will cause him to discover.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I'd choose to save the mayor's family. Yeah, I get it - bloodshed is commonplace in fantasy and we shouldn't get too attached to the characters, but did the wife and daughter have to die like that, though? I would give them a chance to escape, or die less brutal deaths. Otherwise, the story is okay.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

I would remove the misoginy. It's not really that they say bad things about women but they are treated as a useless part of society that only care about cosmetics and vacations.
I would also change the structure and add some chapter numbers to make it more clear that the chapter has changed.
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I would change the death of Eldus and his family. He was such a likeable character.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

If it was up to me I would not allow Lord Eldus to be dead and I would convict Lord Meldorath for the rest of his life.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:59
xsquare wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 04:16 I think the book could have done with a lot more character development. I know that this is only the first book, but it felt like the characters were rather one-dimensional? Galen doesn't even seem to be too affected by his experiences living in a war-torn country, and we didn't get to see more of Rowan's other traits besides him being 'mischievous' and 'playful'. I think if we had gotten better character development it'd be easier to root for them in the coming books too.
I also thought about Galen seeming to be very one-dimensional, but the development of some other character is great. So I think it's something that happened because the author wanted to cast more light in some characters in this book.
This could point to a problem of focusing on too many characters, which I think was an issue. When a story has too many major characters, building the many characters may result in the story losing its appeal.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I would really like Lord Eldus to still be alive. I'll miss his enthusiasm and kindness.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Jeev Jatin Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeev-jatin-singh.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jeev Jatin Singh »

It would have to be how naive Galen is at certain points in the story. For someone coming from a war-torn land,he is far too generous and unsuspecting.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the book overall. But if I had to change one thing about the book it would be more detail about the different types of magic in this new world and how someone gains magic.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I think that for the first book of a series, everything in the book was okay. Maybe I'd want more background information about a few side characters, but then again, it was only the first book. Although, maybe I would keep Lord Eldus alive because I fell in love with his character!
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I would probably change the cover. I feel like it could have been more captivating.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I would have liked to know the characters a bit more. Even though I loved the book, It would have been nice to connect with the characters a bit.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I would have included more female characters in the book and would have ensured that Lord Eldus made a significant contribution in Hillport before his death.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”