If you could change one thing about the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Re: If you could change one thing about the book?

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Well, I would increase the number of female characters and shine more light on Beth ruther than having Galen has the most important protagonist alone.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think I would like to change the rhythm and some scenes. I would develop more on the magic and how it works, because this is a first book and we should have a clearer view on the rules it has. Also, I thought the ending was a bit convolluted, so maybe make it longer and reduce other parts that seemed as trivial scenes and weren't so connected.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I would put more restrictions for the use of magic. This would give everyone a fairground for fighting their enemies. People like Lord Eldus wouldn't have been killed easily if not for magic.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I would add more female characters to the story to spice up the tense atmosphere the book exuded.
Kolisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolisa.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Kolisa »

I would have loved changed Galen's character a little bit. He is too perfect, which is a part of the problem. Too calm and contained about everything. Save for the excitement and gratitude he showed when he first arrived, you wouldn't know how much of a safe haven Voulhire was to him.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

I would have changed the main character of the book to Meldorath since he's been mentioned as a hero in most situation where Voulhire is being attacked. Just like movies, I believe main characters should show a heroic trait.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 22:38 By far, my least favorite aspect of the book was the discontinuity with time period references. An unnatural blend of details led to inconsistencies with the implied era. For instance, archaic names, medieval lands, lords, ships, castles, candlelight, blacksmiths, silver and gold coins, knights, princes, armor, and kingdoms would suggest a medieval sort of setting (at least to me). Then modern-day slang terms and mentions of things like gymnastics, “daddy issues,” football, hockey rinks, and “tight workout clothes” appear, and I was left beyond perplexed. I would have preferred that all of the MODERN terminology be removed.
I agree with the inconsistency between the implied era and the choice of words. If I may add to your list is jabberjaw. This term came from an animated series aired in 1976.
Kathy2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Kathy2 »

I think I would rather not have Galen as the main character of the book, because there are other equal characters of the book like Meldorath and Eldus.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think I would have made the biomage less puerile. It didn't match the style of the rest of the book. Other than that, Tysz has done an extraordinarily good job creating his world and characters.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
psmith5659
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psmith5659.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by psmith5659 »

If I could change only one thing about this book, I would add some more moments of would and character building, where the story is put on hold and we just look at the people who are taking this journey. It would have been nice to get to know the characters a little better, and really understand who they are like they are friends standing next to us.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I would change the way in which Lord Eldus died, I didn't expect him to die in the invasion. That was sad in my part because he had done so much for the town.
Victoria Baadom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-baadom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Baadom »

Alabaster the biomage would be the character that I will focus on. His appearance got me wondering who he was and although I know that he is a friend of Meldorath, but what was he trying to achieve by getting himself thrown into jail?
I wish that the author had written more about that.
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I think I would have added some important female characters in the book. There are literally none!
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

xsquare wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 04:16 I think the book could have done with a lot more character development. I know that this is only the first book, but it felt like the characters were rather one-dimensional? Galen doesn't even seem to be too affected by his experiences living in a war-torn country, and we didn't get to see more of Rowan's other traits besides him being 'mischievous' and 'playful'. I think if we had gotten better character development it'd be easier to root for them in the coming books too.
I felt the characters were quite well-developed for the short space of time the author introduced them to us. This was a relatively short book and was only meant as a quick introduction to the many characters that will carry the series forward. I look forward to seeing how the author continues to develop each one going forward. :techie-studyingbrown:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 07:04 If it were up to me, Lord Eldus would survive... I understand that his death was a necessary evil so to say - for more drama, but he is still among my most beloved characters of the series.
Me too! He was my favourite character, and the author spent such a large portion of the book showing events from his perspective that I was so sure he would continue at least to the next book. He was a strong character that could have been valuable later on.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”