If you could change one thing about the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

If you could change one thing about the book?

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Imagine you were given a chance to change one thing about the book. It could be a person, an event, a decision, a course of action, or anything else.

How would you use this opportunity? Or do you think the book is perfect as it is? :eusa-think:
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

i would've definitely thrown some more light on that weird biomage. The guy remained a shadow throughout the book.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe the biomage was Meldorath's teacher, someone like Dumbledore to Harry perhaps. I do wish he'd been given a name, though. Or did I miss it?

What I want improved is the map. It's a bit dark and hard to read in my copy.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

[amazon=][/amazon]
rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 11:43 i would've definitely thrown some more light on that weird biomage. The guy remained a shadow throughout the book.
The crazy old guy, right? I guess he was some kinda follower cum adviser to Meldorath.
Live and let live, baby.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

I honestly think that the book was overall pretty good for an introduction to the series. However, I would have developed some characters and their background stories a little bit more. I felt that Chancellor Maido for example had a lot of potential as a main character and yet it is almost shadow banned in the rest of the books.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I think the book could have done with a lot more character development. I know that this is only the first book, but it felt like the characters were rather one-dimensional? Galen doesn't even seem to be too affected by his experiences living in a war-torn country, and we didn't get to see more of Rowan's other traits besides him being 'mischievous' and 'playful'. I think if we had gotten better character development it'd be easier to root for them in the coming books too.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

xsquare wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 04:16 I think the book could have done with a lot more character development. I know that this is only the first book, but it felt like the characters were rather one-dimensional? Galen doesn't even seem to be too affected by his experiences living in a war-torn country, and we didn't get to see more of Rowan's other traits besides him being 'mischievous' and 'playful'. I think if we had gotten better character development it'd be easier to root for them in the coming books too.
I also thought about Galen seeming to be very one-dimensional, but the development of some other character is great. So I think it's something that happened because the author wanted to cast more light in some characters in this book.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

If it were up to me, Lord Eldus would survive... I understand that his death was a necessary evil so to say - for more drama, but he is still among my most beloved characters of the series.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:59
xsquare wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 04:16 I think the book could have done with a lot more character development. I know that this is only the first book, but it felt like the characters were rather one-dimensional? Galen doesn't even seem to be too affected by his experiences living in a war-torn country, and we didn't get to see more of Rowan's other traits besides him being 'mischievous' and 'playful'. I think if we had gotten better character development it'd be easier to root for them in the coming books too.
I also thought about Galen seeming to be very one-dimensional, but the development of some other character is great. So I think it's something that happened because the author wanted to cast more light in some characters in this book.
Yeah, the author developed Lord Eldus really well only to give him such a tragic ending :( Still, Galen is (presumably) the main character of these novels, so I think it's only fair that he should get slightly more character development.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:22 I believe the biomage was Meldorath's teacher, someone like Dumbledore to Harry perhaps. I do wish he'd been given a name, though. Or did I miss it?

Alabaster de Lasette, I think :). His name comes up during his trial.

And I would want more of the characters' background stories. There's not enough information, so sometimes it may cause confusion.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:41
Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:22 I believe the biomage was Meldorath's teacher, someone like Dumbledore to Harry perhaps. I do wish he'd been given a name, though. Or did I miss it?

And I would want more of the characters' background stories. There's not enough information, so sometimes it may cause confusion.
Oh yes, Alabaster. I just reread that part. I wonder why Tysz did not use his name again when he escaped his cell. I wonder what Alabaster will be up to next.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I would have changed the title of the book, as I don't think that was the appropriate title.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

Galen appears to be the main character of the series, so if I were allowed to change something, I would give a bit more attention on Galen and his character development. He's too perfect as is. He's generous and grateful to everyone. I wish he was a more interesting character. Other characters are a bit better: Rowan has some spunk, Meldorath is a good guy gone bad... I just find pretty much every other character more interesting than Galen.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 02:12
Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:41

Oh yes, Alabaster. I just reread that part. I wonder why Tysz did not use his name again when he escaped his cell. I wonder what Alabaster will be up to next.
I really enjoyed Alabaster's part in the story, although it's not clear how he relates to the first book. I hope he makes a grand appearance (or maybe several) in the next books.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

I would be happy to have chapter numbers. Right now, going back to verify facts is tedious. With nine books in the series and a host of characters, the reader would want to compare the books to validate "aha" moments.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”