What is the Riva Rohavi fighting for?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

What is the Riva Rohavi fighting for?

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am not quite clear of the reason for Riva Rohavi's existence. They seem to be working with Meldorath, at least insofar as the siege of Hillport is concerned. Some reviewers aver that the Riva disdain magic. Why then did they align themselves with Meldorath?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 14:02 I am not quite clear of the reason for Riva Rohavi's existence. They seem to be working with Meldorath, at least insofar as the siege of Hillport is concerned. Some reviewers aver that the Riva disdain magic. Why then did they align themselves with Meldorath?
Can you imagine that their possible connection to Meldorath is explained in the book 6? :D I will say no more :no-spoil:

Well, as for their reasons, I guess, they want to rule over Voulhire. Also, they hate Mianora and intend to destroy them.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Well, it is not clear if they have a connection with Lord Meldorath. Remember that a message to attack Hillport came from an anonymous person. Crodai also thought that Meldorath is already dead. And after the attack dont even see each other.

Perhapd, Riva wanted domination all over Voulhire and against what King Idus has planned on the unification of the cities.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:58
Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 14:02 I am not quite clear of the reason for Riva Rohavi's existence. They seem to be working with Meldorath, at least insofar as the siege of Hillport is concerned. Some reviewers aver that the Riva disdain magic. Why then did they align themselves with Meldorath?
Can you imagine that their possible connection to Meldorath is explained in the book 6? :D I will say no more :no-spoil:

Well, as for their reasons, I guess, they want to rule over Voulhire. Also, they hate Mianora and intend to destroy them.
You don't say! There is a connection between Riva and Meldorath?
Well, with regards to the attack on Hillport, I felt it was merely one of Meldorath's well-laid plans, to escape his prison (unnoticed) in the light of Hillport's massacre.
Riva on the other hand, is on a Voulhire-extermination mission.
Live and let live, baby.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

The Riva want revenge on Voulhire because back in the day King Saint Idus let them be persecuted for not joining the union of Voulhire. It is implied that Idus later tried to kill them off (killing both the dissenters and their children). They may have aligned themselves with Meldorath since their goals temporarily align (after his imprisonment, Meldorath is also a bit unhappy with Voulhire).
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 14:52

Well, with regards to the attack on Hillport, I felt it was merely one of Meldorath's well-laid plans, to escape his prison (unnoticed) in the light of Hillport's massacre.
I cant agree with you more. Riva is one of them factions who hold exactly the opposite idea of Saint Idus; they think Voulhire is the product of corruption and poverty and they want to create a new country. Meldorath has the ability to send messages through books like he did with Eldus, so I presume he did the same with Crodai, Riva's captain.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think the Riva are working with Meldorath to dethrone King Wilhelm and take over Voulhire.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

rahilshajahan wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:22

I cant agree with you more. Riva is one of them factions who hold exactly the opposite idea of Saint Idus; they think Voulhire is the product of corruption and poverty and they want to create a new country. Meldorath has the ability to send messages through books like he did with Eldus, so I presume he did the same with Crodai, Riva's captain.
That's a really interesting point. I hadn't thought about the possibility that Meldorath wrote the letter to the Riva. Or perhaps he has an accomplice on the mainland that contacted the Riva?
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Krista Ash wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 14:00
rahilshajahan wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:22

That's a really interesting point. I hadn't thought about the possibility that Meldorath wrote the letter to the Riva. Or perhaps he has an accomplice on the mainland that contacted the Riva?
I don't remember Mestitrio or Siden ever going to Crodai. I'm not exactly sure on how he communicated with the Riva.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I think the Riva people were just insecure and attacked because the people of Hillport seemed like a threat to them. However, their attack was also linked with Meldorath, if not, they would have taken over the leadership of Hillport themselves.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

luchi123 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:24 I think the Riva people were just insecure and attacked because the people of Hillport seemed like a threat to them. However, their attack was also linked with Meldorath, if not, they would have taken over the leadership of Hillport themselves.
It doesn't seem like Riva attacked Hillport because Hillport was a threat to them. Hillport had no significant military force, which made them an easy target, and the town was prosperous, making its destruction, a significant blow to Voulhire. Riva likely attacked Hillport because it was the easiest way to hurt Voulhire as a whole. It seems like Riva is also a nomadic group that just seeks to create fear in its enemies, so keeping Hillport wasn't really their goal, which makes their probable alliance with Meldorath more beneficial to both sides.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

In my point of view, I believe Riva Rohavi is out to break off the yoke of Voulhire and possibly usurp their position. At any rate, they have their strength in their loyal citizens who thoroughly follow the lead of their leader.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

From what I understood, the Riva Rohavi's purpose is for exacting revenge against Voulhire as a whole. The attack on Hillport made by them is in my perspective, an intricate plan made by Meldorath to use them so that he can escape from his prison in an unsuspectible manner.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

In old, Nations fight majorly for one thing: boundary or space dominance. Riva Rohavi interest isn't any different from that.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

My opinion is that Riva Rohavi just wants to wreak chaos and to challenge the natural order of things. They hate whoever is charge and they resent the rules. Their alliance with Lord Meldorath must be on short term, as their interest will not align forever. If Lord Medorath was the king they would still be the enemy.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”