What is the Riva Rohavi fighting for?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Ilian ZHU
Favorite Book: Legacy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilian-zhu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: What is the Riva Rohavi fighting for?

Post by Ilian ZHU »

I think there's a little explanation about their goals in the first books. I don't remember very well but I think it said that the Riva Rohavi seek to recover the lands that the first king had taken from them. Those lands would be all of Voulhire.
They just want their homeland back.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I don't remember if this was mentioned in the books, but I think the Riva Rohavi were oppressed and everything they owned was taken away from them, so they're fighting to get it back.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Well, I think they got tired of being persecuted and looked down on, and now they want power.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

Riva Rohavi have their reasons for sure. I think it is too early to make any definitive conclusions. They might be collaborating with Meldorath.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

It is not clear that the Riva Rohavi is in connection with Meldorath. However, it is obvious that they have intenton to take over Voulhire
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 14:02 I am not quite clear of the reason for Riva Rohavi's existence. They seem to be working with Meldorath, at least insofar as the siege of Hillport is concerned. Some reviewers aver that the Riva disdain magic. Why then did they align themselves with Meldorath?
Well, the course of the fight from the Riva Rohavi and their alliance with Meldorath was not explained explicitly and therefore remains ambiguous, I believe the next chapter of this novel will convey the answer to this question, I hope.
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Post by Mayang Bature »

Well, it is said that they have a grudge with Voulhire since the onset. As for working with Meldorath, I don't understand why they're doing that.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 14:02 I am not quite clear of the reason for Riva Rohavi's existence. They seem to be working with Meldorath, at least insofar as the siege of Hillport is concerned. Some reviewers aver that the Riva disdain magic. Why then did they align themselves with Meldorath?
I have no idea and I believe in the next series of this novel the reason behind their agenda would be explained. But if I was asked to guess, I would say for more power. The Rohavi agenda for aligning with Meldorath is for more power.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Post by Mayang Bature »

Based on the first book alone, I feel the Riva have lost track of what they're fighting for. They just seemlike bandits who enjoy living above the law.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

After the massacre at Hillport, I think Riva Rohavi is just in it for the destruction and chaos, not rulership, not power. He just wants Voulhire to burn to the ground as vengeance.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Valentine Maina 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Valentine Maina 2 »

Riva Rohavi seems to be in existence ready to fight for or with anyone who needs to fight as far as they're guaranteed fame from their actions.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 14:52
Ellylion wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:58
Can you imagine that their possible connection to Meldorath is explained in the book 6? :D I will say no more :no-spoil:

Well, as for their reasons, I guess, they want to rule over Voulhire. Also, they hate Mianora and intend to destroy them.
You don't say! There is a connection between Riva and Meldorath?
Well, with regards to the attack on Hillport, I felt it was merely one of Meldorath's well-laid plans, to escape his prison (unnoticed) in the light of Hillport's massacre.
Riva on the other hand, is on a Voulhire-extermination mission.
I honestly do not think if meldorath were to wanna escape prison it will be unnoticed because of how famous he is. There must be another reason for the escape.
Adekeye Hassan musab

The main reason the Rival attacked voulhire is as a result of their long held grudge against the founder of Voulhire who persecuted them for not joining the nation he was trying to create.
Adekeye Hassan musab

luchi123 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:24 I think the Riva people were just insecure and attacked because the people of Hillport seemed like a threat to them. However, their attack was also linked with Meldorath, if not, they would have taken over the leadership of Hillport themselves.
I do not think the people of hillport were a threat to them as of present they thought it had the potential to be one by becoming a state that provides resources to voulhire.
Adekeye Hassan musab

Krista Ash wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 15:02
luchi123 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:24 I think the Riva people were just insecure and attacked because the people of Hillport seemed like a threat to them. However, their attack was also linked with Meldorath, if not, they would have taken over the leadership of Hillport themselves.
It doesn't seem like Riva attacked Hillport because Hillport was a threat to them. Hillport had no significant military force, which made them an easy target, and the town was prosperous, making its destruction, a significant blow to Voulhire. Riva likely attacked Hillport because it was the easiest way to hurt Voulhire as a whole. It seems like Riva is also a nomadic group that just seeks to create fear in its enemies, so keeping Hillport wasn't really their goal, which makes their probable alliance with Meldorath more beneficial to both sides.
I wouldn't say they are prosperous as explained in the book. They are just a bunch of people who had the potential to be prosperous with the right leadership. Given voulhire golden age these makes them an advantage to the golden age. So if disrupted they have cut one of the future providers for voulhire away

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”