Which character perspective was your favourite and why?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Which character perspective was your favourite and why?

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I like Lord Eldus. He had great plans for Hillport. What impressed me the most is that he wanted to learn more about his predecessors so that he can figure out how to improve Hillport. It's such a pity that he was killed before he achieved his goal.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Meldorath was my favorite because he's so mysterious and his true objectives are never shared with the reader which adds to the mystic. I also loved how even though his really strong that he didn't abuse his power, if he did he could have been the king of Voulhire.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I thought Lord Eldus's perspective was a good one. He was optimistic. I think he died way too soon. However, Rowan is an intriguing character. He seems a bit shady, fun, and rambunctious. I think he will teach Galrn some much needed lessons along the way.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

PriyankaBeeput wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 15:18 I personally loved Alderman's chapter, I instantly felt a connection with him, he justness and good nature come through well and I think Tysz build up the most suspense in Alderman's chapter
Beth's perspective captured me the most. Since it was her first time setting a foot in Cosmos, she had her observations to its system, which is similar to ours. Her perception about the Cosmos made me felt like I was also new to the world, like her.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I love going back to Galen's perspective but not because of Galen, ironically. I prefer seeing the interactions between Rowan and Demetrius. I think their witty and sarcastic conversations are hilarious. Galen is an enjoyable character but I think at this stage, he is too innocent and somewhat naive.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

I personally do like Eldus's perspective. He truly wanted the good of Hillport and even sacrificed his good life in Soulhire for its sake. His family is also to be appreciated as they agreed to it and fully supported him. Especially Marshus, he never thought of taking a political route but still helped his father to bring a change in Hillport. His magical skills also helped him to escape from Hillport safely during the attack.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Galen's perspective. I like to champion for the underdog and I felt familiar with the feelings he was experiencing upon entering Voulhire. After living while on guard for such a long time, I can relate with the unease that comes when one enters a safe space where they no longer need to be on guard each and every time.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I liked Galen's perspective. He seemed to be the only person who wasn't calculating. His innocence was something new, given how a lot of books are full of macho men.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I really liked that the author decided to write a few chapters from the perspective of the Riva Rohavi. Early in the book, the terrorist group seems to be the embodiment of violence and evil. But after learning more about their background and reasons why they developed such deep-rooted hatred of the kingdom, I could actually empathize with them. Their story even made me doubt whether the king and his plans for the kingdom were as honest and laudable as he makes them appear to be.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I liked Galen's perspective the most because of his innocence and the fact that a lot of things were new to him. Like his first night at Magnum Caelum, the drunk's reaction to his knocking on the door to the inn was priceless! Also, Galen's perspective brought Rowan and Demetrius into the picture. Those two were interesting.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

Honestly, I really liked Lord Eldus. He seemed really interesting and genuine and that he was actually dealing with some tough things in a good way. He cared about Hillport and wanted to do things better. I wanted to see how he would prevail, so I was disappointed when he died.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I think Lord Eldus' perspective was the most interesting. While there were several different story threads, it felt like he was at the core of this book's narrative. I do wish we had been able to spend a little more time with him!
Widade Assaly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-widade-assaly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Widade Assaly »

My favorite character's perspective was Galen's. He was new to everyhing and was so happy about his new life.
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Tabuya Dube »

Eldus. He was a really good man, with all these great hopes and dreams for his town. A pity he had to die. I really wanted him to succeed.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

My favorite the character of the powerful mage—lord Meldorath. He brings out the magic setting sense I do like in such a book. Though, I love some other characters also, but Meldorath is my favorite.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”