Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Post by cydnas »

I'm unsure... Given the many interactions with Rowan, I would have trusted him more but thinking about it deeper, Rowan is a mystery. Maybe he is using Galen.
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

Both characters seem trustworthy. However, Rowan seems like he's got a secret he's hiding. Even though he helps Galen out, I feel like he may have hidden motives.
WWFrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wwfrank.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by WWFrank »

At first, Rowan does not seem like the kind of person you can trust. However, he did clearly mention he was only doing it for the money. With this in mind, he most likely found Galen using bribery. He also stuck around in the Lands of the Princes.
But since the mayor is sincere and kind, the choice is left to the reader.
Pessimists cannot be disappointed.  Optimists cannot be pleasantly surprised.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Neither! Galen seems a bit naive in this first book, and everyone in Voulhire has its own agenda.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Victoria Baadom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-baadom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Baadom »

I honestly cannot say. I am getting a vibe that Rowan has some ulterior motive for sticking with Galen, so that makes him a little untrustworthy to me. However, I know nothing about the mayor save for the little that Galen said about him, so how can I trust someone that I do not know?
Since I am expected to choose, I'll go with Rowan because as they say, the devil you know is better than the angel that you do not know.
Rita Baadom
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-baadom.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Rita Baadom »

I trust the mayor over Rowan. The mayor seems like a simple man while Rowan's behaviors are a little bit fishy. Why exactly did he decide to stick with Galen. I know that towards the end, he told a sob story about how much he doesn't like his hometown, but I didn't buy that one bit.

My distrust may be misplaced, but I wouldn't know until the author provides his background story.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

In the beginning, it seemed Rowan was a bit of a mystery. It was very easy to feel as though he had a reason he wasn't sharing with Galen. But, I did enjoy him as a character. I liked the friendship they were able to form.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

The mayor doesn't seem bad, and neither does Rowan. I would say that the mayor is biased against Rowan because of the incident with his daughter, which is justifiable. Rowan does appear to be hiding something, but secrets don't exactly make you a bad person. He's helped Galen, arguably going way beyond what was needed as executor, so I think Galen should stick with him for a while, though still maintain some distance.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

I really want to trust Rowan. The mayor seems a little suspicious to me. Even though Rowan gives me a feeling that he's hiding something, I think he is a good person with good motives. He was also given a funny and quirky personality so I really do think that he is a good person after all.
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Teletha wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:09 Following Galen's journey, we saw him settle in Magnum Caelum. He met the town mayor who welcomed him warmly. He then encountered his uncle's executor, Rowan, whom he owed his new life. But these two don't seem to get along. If you are Galen, who would you trust?

I found myself gone back in forth between the two when I was reading the story. How about you?

I totally agree with you. But now that I think about it I think I would be more distrutful of Rowan. He seemed like the kind of person with ulterior motives and you don't really know what you're getting.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
kasfy_allama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by kasfy_allama »

I’m a bit suspicious to Rowan but he always help Galen to be prepared as a blacksmith. Galen also a bit suspicious to him at the very beginning of Rowan’s visit but finally he trusted Rowan according to a writing inside his uncle’s book - felt like his uncle talked to him. Rowan also warned the imbuer to not take benefit from Galen’s kindness. But still, I think this sequel is mystery until we read all of the books.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I was little skeptical about Rowan's character at sometimes but he was honest enough to Galen. Unfortunately, Rowan's character attracts people to doubt on him. However he is honest heartily
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Muladan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Inside the Mind of a Successful CEO
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muladan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Muladan »

I think I would trust the town mayor. Rowan seems to have a hidden agenda behind his motives. The help he gives is too much for money only.
Lost Souls world
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-souls-world.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lost Souls world »

I think I would trust Rowan as he is helpful and spends a lot of time with Galen and otherside it’s Mayor whom Galen don’t know that much.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

Rowan does indeed seem to have an ulterior motive, but he did help Galen out a lot. I think it has more to do with the life he left in Soulhire; something that went wrong there, or perhaps he doesn't have as much freedom in his job as he does staying with Galen. But the reason the Major doesn't like Rowan doesn't necessarily mean Galen shouldn't trust Rowan. It just means Rowan's a bit of an ass when it comes to women.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”