Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Re: Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

kasfy_allama wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 06:51 I’m a bit suspicious to Rowan but he always help Galen to be prepared as a blacksmith. Galen also a bit suspicious to him at the very beginning of Rowan’s visit but finally he trusted Rowan according to a writing inside his uncle’s book - felt like his uncle talked to him. Rowan also warned the imbuer to not take benefit from Galen’s kindness. But still, I think this sequel is mystery until we read all of the books.
I agree with you. It seemed odd how Rowan took such an active interest and his time in helping Galen. The fact that first-person narration was used during Galen's narration. Readers are given a subjective perspective. Therefore, we may not be getting the full story. Hope the other books, unravels this.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:34 To be frank, I doubted Rowan's objective a little, too. It seemed he tried to stick with Galen for another unknown reason. But the conflict between Rowan and the mayor has nothing to do with that. The mayor hated Rowan because of Rowan's history with his daughter. That's a personal issue, and Galen knew this. There's no reason for him to trust or distrust any of them. Both of them helped him a lot, and his concern would be whether he could repay them.
This is true.
The mayor had a dislike for Rowan because of how Rowan treated his daughter. That has little to do with how trustworthy Rowan is. I would say Rowan, by doing as Galen's uncle asked and bringing Galen even after the Uncle had died, had already proven he was trustworthy.

I wondered what Rowan's deal was, but I concluded he was probably just bored and wanted to do something different with his life. Since he felt attracted to Galen, following him around seemed to be a logical step.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Rowan appears to be to have elective intentions in spending time with Galen, in spite of the fact that we don't get educated about them. The Mayor doesn't appear to have those, yet of course, not all things are what it appears as, particularly in Voulhire. I would be cautious with both of them.The Mayor appears to be more trustable however, so I would undoubtedly confide in the Mayor.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

zainherb wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 05:10
Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:34 To be frank, I doubted Rowan's objective a little, too. It seemed he tried to stick with Galen for another unknown reason. But the conflict between Rowan and the mayor has nothing to do with that. The mayor hated Rowan because of Rowan's history with his daughter. That's a personal issue, and Galen knew this. There's no reason for him to trust or distrust any of them. Both of them helped him a lot, and his concern would be whether he could repay them.
This is true.
The mayor had a dislike for Rowan because of how Rowan treated his daughter. That has little to do with how trustworthy Rowan is. I would say Rowan, by doing as Galen's uncle asked and bringing Galen even after the Uncle had died, had already proven he was trustworthy.

I wondered what Rowan's deal was, but I concluded he was probably just bored and wanted to do something different with his life. Since he felt attracted to Galen, following him around seemed to be a logical step.
The lack of characters' background makes it hard to say anything for certain, but yes, I think you are right. It seems Rowan likes adventures, as hinted in book#3 and Akistry's perceiving. Perhaps after the trip to the Lands of the Princes, he found that sticking to Galen would be interesting :D?
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

Wow, this is such a well thought out answer. I totally agree that he doesn't have to trust or not trust either of them. Thank you for writing such an introspective answer.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

The mayor does not seem to be hiding anything, so there is no reason not to trust him. Rowan, on the other hand, is definitely hiding something. Although, people tend to be a little guarded when just meeting someone, so that does not necessarily mean Galen should not trust him either. The fact is, the choice is irrelevant. Galen does not need to choose between the two of them because there is no situation that calls for it. Galen can accept the friendly mayor's help and accept Rowan as a new friend even if the mayor and Rowan do not like each other. Obviously, there are two sides to the disagreement between them and perhaps both are valid, but the disagreement is not relevant to Galen.
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

I'll go with the town mayor because he was described as a warm personality. Rowan however, was passed across as someone with a whole language of shady secrets.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

There is something about Rowan that I don't entirely trust, but on the other hand, not enough is said about the mayor for me to know whether I should trust him or not. He may be described as welcoming, but appearances can be deceiving, although based on what Rowan did to his daughter, I think he has the rights not to like Rowan. Rowan seems to much like a Lad to me, so I don't trust that. I don't trust either of them to be honest, albeit for different reasons, but if I had to pick one it would be the mayor.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

If I was Galen, I would trust Rowan's story about being with the Mayor's daughter and chalk up the Mayor's dislike to a grudge. I wouldn't necessarily distrust either of them. That being said, Rowan's various other actions would make me hesitant to fully trust him regardless of his relationship with the mayor.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

The town mayor seems more trustworthy than Rowan. Rowan seems to be hiding something and he seems very cunning. The mayor comes across as more genuine and straightforward.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

Both the mayor and Rowan have been very helpful and supportive of Galen's transition and integration into their community. And both have gone above and beyond their duties to make Galen fit in and feel welcomed. I don't believe neither of them have any ulterior motives for doing so. But, I feel like Rowan is not being fully honest with Galen. I think he is hiding something, but it may not be major.
Ijay +
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijay.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Ijay + »

I feel Rowan has some ulterior motives for sticking with Galen but for some reason I really like his friendly character.
I think Galen should be a bit more wary of him but on the whole I doubt Rowan has any major intentions of harming Galen.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

I don't think that the story went far enough in detail for me to really judge the character of the town mayor. On the other hand, I definitely don't trust Rowan. I think he has some hidden anterior motives.
Jeev Jatin Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeev-jatin-singh.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jeev Jatin Singh »

As other readers have pointed out, Rowan sticks around longer than necessary. I think he owes Galen's uncle,and when Galen's uncle asked him to take care of Galen,perhaps as a last wish,he makes sure to see it through. Rowan's concern for Galen is seen at many points in the novel. Hence, I would trust Rowan.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

I agree with you. Galen knew the reason behind Rowan and the Mayor's bitterness towards each other. Either way, it has no role in Galen's trust towards each other. I did find Rowan a little suspicious initially, but then again he seemed to be genuinely care about Galen. So I guess Galen owes the two big time.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”