Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Re: Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Post by Rayah Raouf »

If I had to put myself in the shoes of Galen... I would trust anybody. Galen came from a land where people cheat or do horrible things to each other. The land he has arrived to now is supposed to be the exact opposite of what he is used to. I think, although not practical, that I would trust them both. I would want to try and get as comfortable as possible with others.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Well I'd trust the mayor because he seems more honest than Rowan, someone who's true motives are unknown and him not telling Galen his last name is another red flag.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Honestly, I don't think we know enough about either character to really trust either. The mayor has his own motives for wanting Galen there. After all, Galen is supposed to take over for his uncle as Blacksmith. Rowan has his own skeletons. It would be good for us to find out a little more about both before placing trust in either.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Teletha wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:09 Following Galen's journey, we saw him settle in Magnum Caelum. He met the town mayor who welcomed him warmly. He then encountered his uncle's executor, Rowan, whom he owed his new life. But these two don't seem to get along. If you are Galen, who would you trust?

I found myself gone back in forth between the two when I was reading the story. How about you?
I'm also very indecisive in this matter. The Mayor and Rowan doesn't yet qualify to be trusted given the short amount of time we had with them. These two have individual good qualities. But, Rowan aroused my suspicion that there's something he's trying to avoid when he appeared reluctant from going back to his home. Meanwhile, I also don't have enough details to conclude the Mayor's reliability. So, I would neither trust any of them too soon.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

The mayor distrusts Rowan for a personal reason so I can't take that into consideration. I think Rowan has an ulterior motive for sticking with Galen, but I don't think it's a very serious one like a major deception or anything.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Remember what Galen's uncle's book told Galen when he first opened it? I trust Rowan enough to think he's not going to betray him. I'm reserving judgement on the mayor though. He already done showed Galen what he had to, so I don't think we have to worry about trusting him or not. Yet. But I'd say both of them do come across as good people.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

Well, if you ask me this then I wouldn't choose either one of them. Even though the Town mayor cared for Galen but he wasn't helping too much. It was just like he just wanted Galen to settle down in his uncle's home. On the other hand, while Rowan was with him everywhere but he seemed kinda suspicious. Even if he was grateful for Galen's uncle but he was meddling too much with Galen's life.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I think I'm gonna trust the mayor more. Galen seems to have no reason to stay and his sadness about having to go back suggest some ulterior motives. Even still I don't think that he is trying to fool Galen or wants anything bad for him but he definitely has some skeletons in his closet.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Galen is caught in the middle of these two. On one hand, the mayor likes Galen because he respected Galen's uncle. On the other hand, Rowan disrespected the mayor's daughter, but decided to go above and beyond to help Galen get adjusted. Personally, I think Rowan is a sexist who needs to be taught a lesson. But Galen should remain neutral and not sever ties with either of them.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I don't the fact that Rowan disrespect Mayor's daughter by telling Galen that he had sex with her. But he did not love her. I guess as a father Mayor has the right to be angry at Rowan for this. Mayor is a straightforward guy but there is something about Rowan that doesn't feel right. If I were Galen, I would have trusted the mayor over Rowan. And also we can't ignore the fact that Rowan almost cost Galen his life back in search of rock.
Widade Assaly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-widade-assaly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Widade Assaly »

It is still very early to say, but I feel that Rowan's attitude is suspicious. He keeps helping Galen even though his mission is over. It seems like he wants to benefit from Galen's wealth.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html

Post by Asja Šabani »

Mayor seems more trustworthy. Rowan has ulterior motives for sure. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Rowan is bad for Galen. We just don't know his full story. I can't wait to continue reading to discover what happens next.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Teletha wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:09 Following Galen's journey, we saw him settle in Magnum Caelum. He met the town mayor who welcomed him warmly. He then encountered his uncle's executor, Rowan, to whom he owed his new life. But these two don't seem to get along. If you are Galen, who would you trust?

I found myself going back in forth between the two when I was reading the story. How about you?
In a bid to choose the lesser evil or the greater evil. I would say the enemy you know is better than that which you know not of. In the novel, it is not like Rowan is evil but his demeanor is skeptical, and found not to be worth trusting at some point. I still believe Rowan is preferable compared to the town Mayor.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Teletha wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:09 Following Galen's journey, we saw him settle in Magnum Caelum. He met the town mayor who welcomed him warmly. He then encountered his uncle's executor, Rowan, whom he owed his new life. But these two don't seem to get along. If you are Galen, who would you trust?

I found myself gone back in forth between the two when I was reading the story. How about you?
Yes, I believe the same way. At some point I trusted Rowan, at another I felt him to be a cunning person with his own agenda which is beyond helping Galen.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think trust is too strong a word to use around strangers. Because at the end both the Mayor and Rowan are strangers to Galen. He gets what he needs from them and pay back. They all have skeletons in their cupboard, this is Voulhire. I think they both have ulterior motives.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”