Dancing

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Dancing

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Matthew Tysz includes dancing in all his books, but not as a form of art or entertainment.
In this series, Riva Rohavi uses dancing to get access to a form of power, be gain stamina and determination.
Also, the people in the court dance for an hour, mesmerized by Nartik's performance.
What is the secret behind dancing?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:13 Matthew Tysz includes dancing in all his books, but not as a form of art or entertainment.
In this series, Riva Rohavi uses dancing to get access to a form of power, be gain stamina and determination.
Also, the people in the court dance for an hour, mesmerized by Nartik's performance.
What is the secret behind dancing?
I keep asking myself about all these dances as well :) I believe, it is some ritualistic form of dancing the author appeals to.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I think that the act of dancing was a major part of the culture and rituals of the people of Voulhire. That is the only reason why a very large number of people were convinced to dance all the way to an enemy region for an attack without prior rehearsals.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I find myself wondering if Tysz has a background in dance.

His use of dancing reminds me of the late Anne McCaffrey, who greatly enjoyed music and thus included music in her books. Many of her characters, for example, were skilled singers or musicians. Her Pern series even had a school, Harperhall, that trained young musicians.
Larkspur
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Larkspur »

I believe the people have such faith in themselves and their leader that they dance in celebration of their victories to come.
ClaZig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clazig.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ClaZig »

I found the strong presence of dance intriguing as well. I believe that, by including dance in important events, Tysz highlights its cultural importance. Furthermore, dance seems to be a factor of unity, since both sides of a long lasting conflict, the aristocracy and Riva Rohavi, seem to value it.
Something that caught my attention as well was the two opposite contexts in which the author describes dancing: celebration and war.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I thought about it too. It was not only Riva Rohavi. Even the people of Soulhire seems to value dance a lot in this culture. I think the author presented it as a way of waking the instincts in humanbeings. I would have been helpful if the author explained the form of the dance then the readers would have got more insight.
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Justjaal_ »

I think dance is an important part of their culture. I thought it was curious how, in every celebration or important moment, dance was something crucial. I think Riva Rohavi uses dancing as a form of power, to get everything they think was taken from them.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I loved that the author included dance in his cultures. Dancing can be a way to create a trance, which I think would have certainly helped keep people going. That could go for a raid or a celebration. I believe it could be a powerful, cultural tool.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Riva's dance is just terrifying. Think of a group of people who have wicked smiles and come at you swinging swords and dancing. Do you join the dance? I think Tysz just included dancing to show that it can be a form of entertainment and terror.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

The dancing was strange to me. I thought of it as a way to build up a frenzy. Perhaps is does open the warrior up to supernatural powers.
~ Valerie
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I think the dancing has a cultural background for Voulhire. Tysz added it to make the Voulhirian culture unique in itself. It is like the use of drums and trumpets before in the old times.They dance to welcome visitors. They dance to meditate. They dance to celebrate. And they dance to engage war. Somehow dancing energizes them to do what they have to do.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

a_r_egerton wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 09:53 I find myself wondering if Tysz has a background in dance.

His use of dancing reminds me of the late Anne McCaffrey, who greatly enjoyed music and thus included music in her books. Many of her characters, for example, were skilled singers or musicians. Her Pern series even had a school, Harperhall, that trained young musicians.
Either that, or he just wants to shock by using it in a different, unexpected way.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Perhaps Tysz just like dancing :eusa-think:? He has another series, and the characters in there like to dance, too.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:41 Perhaps Tysz just like dancing :eusa-think:? He has another series, and the characters in there like to dance, too.
Yes, indeed, I also read the other series! I'd like to see him dance :)

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”