Dancing

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Re: Dancing

Post by Aniza Butt »

luchi123 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:38 I think that the act of dancing was a major part of the culture and rituals of the people of Voulhire. That is the only reason why a very large number of people were convinced to dance all the way to an enemy region for an attack without prior rehearsals.
I agree it might be the part of their culture.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think dancing is a good way to captivate an audience, in this book in particular, it almost mesmerises the audience. I think the way in which the dancing is expressed helps to get across a particular story or message that the performers want to show?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

It is interesting that Tysz correlated dancing with war. It is a new idea. The scene becomes dynamic and dramatic.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Yes the author has included dancing in a way that it gives stamina and determination. Dancing in my opinion is an art to express yourself. It has different angles for different people. Some may feel dancing their passion such that motivates them to go on and on.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

I wonder how the Riva Rohavi attacker had the energy to dance into war. Maybe the dance is part of their fortification ritual.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I think the author may have used the chi flow in literal sense. How we have chakras in our body and how if we are able to channel the energy properly, we can be powerful. I like the dancing part in the book.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I have been asking myself that question ever since I read the book. I think because dance is an integral part of many cultures and is used to channel ancestral spirits and the power of the gods. And is a good way to express yourself and to get endorphins pumping and flowing.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I think the author mostly included dancing as a show of culture. However, I also suspect he must enjoy dancing himself. In his bio, he says he is a private person. I find that private people tend to like music and dancing is really just an extension of music. That's a bit of a stretch, but it would explain why there is so much dance in his books.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:13 Matthew Tysz includes dancing in all his books, but not as a form of art or entertainment.
In this series, Riva Rohavi uses dancing to get access to a form of power, be gain stamina and determination.
Also, the people in the court dance for an hour, mesmerized by Nartik's performance.
What is the secret behind dancing?
It was something that confused me too, and I didn't really understand it. I am waiting to read the rest of the series, maybe I'll get some answers.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

When I first read about the dancing I was confused. Why were they dancing?
But I'm starting to realize that that's what fuels them. Could also be a cultural thing too?
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Dancing is a special part of Voulhire's culture. The voulhirians danced during celebrations and even during battles. Dance is their strength.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

The Riva dancing as their fight their opponents was both amusing and though provoking, I mean how can someone be dancing during a sword fight. How can they keep their form and composure during a sword fight whilst dancing?
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

I've been dancing for like 15 years and its an essential part of my life, so my opinion is very much affected by that.
Its a way to both lose and find yourself. Even if you get physically tired after dancing, you will feel exhilarated and hyped up. Dance can free you mentally, free a kind of inner energy. So its absolutely valid to interpret dance as a mean to access and gain power.
Also it has the power to unite people, and can create an atmosphere of equality.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:28
a_r_egerton wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 09:53 I find myself wondering if Tysz has a background in dance.

His use of dancing reminds me of the late Anne McCaffrey, who greatly enjoyed music and thus included music in her books. Many of her characters, for example, were skilled singers or musicians. Her Pern series even had a school, Harperhall, that trained young musicians.
Either that, or he just wants to shock by using it in a different, unexpected way.
I wouldn't be surprised either about him having some kind of background related to dance, even like someone close to him being a dancer. But maybe as an ordinary man he just felt the power of dance and the possibilities in it.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

There are a lot of cultures that use Dance in different ways. People often say certain martial arts are a "dance". Dancing in battle is not unheard of throughout history. It actually makes you a harder target. It also builds endurance and strength. Many cultured also Dance during celebrations. It has also been done throughout history. Dance is a form of art and in some ways mystique. It can be glorious to watch.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

Yes, I noticed that too. It's not clear though why he uses that in his books. But in this book, dancing appears to have both cultural and ritualistic significance for the people of Voulhire.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”