Dancing

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Re: Dancing

Post by Book Lover7 »

Even though Tysz didn't mention dance in form of art,.it amuse me that dancing helps to gain stamina and to gain supernatural power.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

It is an interesting concept. I think that the idea of performing duties while dancing appeals to Tysz. I found it funny at the beginning, but later on, it became a hassle.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I think he wanted to show dance can be quite powerful. It is a way of expressing yourself but also more than that it is a unifying factor for many. Its great to let go at times and it is quite contagious. As for the dance the Riva Rohavi use it showcases the terrifying aspect of it. Anyone who can dance that long has quite the stamina in them and is DEFINITELY NOTto be underestimated in battle, so running would be a good option.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I think the Voulhire people must be in a very good shape! Good or bad, they dance all the time, so they must be remarkably fit.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I noticed that when dancing was mentioned in the book, it's always in the part where there seems to be a ritual or ceremony is being held. There is also the part where the Riva's are dancing when they attacked Hillport. In conclusion, dancing is considered as a form of medium to access some power or strength.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 04:39 I think the Voulhire people must be in a very good shape! Good or bad, they dance all the time, so they must be remarkably fit.
This is true. Riva Rohavi thus apparently use dancing to intimidate their enemies, for they are showing off their physical prowess and skill.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Dancing is an element in Matthew Tysz’s novels. In Voulhire it seems it is a highly praised source of entertainment and courts are mesmerised by it. It is also something to be revered and persons of high standings seem to be capable of it at a high level. In the case of the Riva Rohavi it seems to be part of their culture, a sign of their strength and used in battle. In their case it seems to be ritualistic and something probably used all throughout their ancestry.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I also wonder who makes the music? They all dance, but it's quite strange to see a lot of people dancing without music. How do they coordinate? At the court they have a choreographer, who sets the moves, but what about Riva Rovahi? It would be quite awkward and unimpressive if each of the fighter chose to do his own dance.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I consider dancing spiritual. It has a way of cleansing and calming my soul; I guess I understand why dancing features so much in the novel.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

I also noticed the presence of dancing in this book just as I did in Matthew Tysz's other book The King of May . I wouldn't characterize the dancing as any ordinary form of dancing because the common factor running through the circumstances where the author uses dance are situations where there is a sort of breakdown of order in the society. The leaders who seek to rise to power in all those circumstances use this as a unifying tool to bring their people together. This is not surprising as same methods are actually employed in the real world by leaders as a form of distraction, entertainment and motivation in hard times.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html

Post by a_r_egerton »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 14:09 I also wonder who makes the music? They all dance, but it's quite strange to see a lot of people dancing without music. How do they coordinate? At the court they have a choreographer, who sets the moves, but what about Riva Rovahi? It would be quite awkward and unimpressive if each of the fighter chose to do his own dance.
Armies in the real world use musical instruments like fifes and drums to help soldiers march in time. It wouldn't surprise me if Riva Rohavi had somebody playing a pipe or the like. Tysz doesn't mention that detail because it's not something a person fighting Riva Rohavi is likely to notice; they're too busy trying to avoid getting killed.
tasteph1364
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasteph1364.html

Post by tasteph1364 »

Only read the first book in the series, but noted the dancing as well. I wondered if the author was, himself, a dancer or if he just truly enjoys the art form. I found it an interesting contrast: the dancing and killing simultaneously.
tasteph1364
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasteph1364.html

Post by tasteph1364 »

ClaZig wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:51 I found the strong presence of dance intriguing as well. I believe that, by including dance in important events, Tysz highlights its cultural importance. Furthermore, dance seems to be a factor of unity, since both sides of a long lasting conflict, the aristocracy and Riva Rohavi, seem to value it.
Something that caught my attention as well was the two opposite contexts in which the author describes dancing: celebration and war.
Ah, we both noted that contrast. Cool! There was quite a bit about this book that made me wonder. The use of language from a variety of eras was certainly one element that had ne scratching my fuzzy head. How did you feel about that? I wondered if this was a deliberate technique to leave the reader wondering, or just a style thing.
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

I also noticed this in other series, they could dance even when passing out crucial information, I think I loved those parts though I didn't understand why.
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

123Esther wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 12:39 I also noticed this in other series, they could dance even when passing out crucial information, I think I loved those parts though I didn't understand why.
I also noticed that detail! I think that Tysz sees dancing like a basic function of the body, like walking or talking. The people in the book must be dancing from a tender age, so it comes natural to them.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”