Dancing

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: Dancing

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It's possible that dancing unlocks some power from Caromentis. Everyone that does it has some type of influence, and it seems to stem from a ritualistic history. The Riva Rohavi seem to know more about the truth behind Voulhirian history than anyone else. Maybe this will tell us more about Voulhire and Caromentis both.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:13 Matthew Tysz includes dancing in all his books, but not as a form of art or entertainment.
In this series, Riva Rohavi uses dancing to get access to a form of power, be gain stamina and determination.
Also, the people in the court dance for an hour, mesmerized by Nartik's performance.
What is the secret behind dancing?
This is actually quite a unique aspect to the book. I have no idea the secret behind dancing but it was used in such a unique way to the story. It definitely added some flavor to the book.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Nikita_sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikita-sharma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nikita_sharma »

Dance has historically played quite a bit of significance in rituals of many cultures. Perhaps that is where all this dancing is coming from. But I'm not complaining. The quirky visuals of dancing magical fights that my brain imagined while reading the book was fun and so hilarious!
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I thought the use of dance was really interesting. Most of the time, people use dancing as a way to celebrate something or to express joy, but the Riva Rohavi used it in battle. It made the contrast between that culture and modern cultures more apparent.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

Dance has a multitude of well known cultural and historical significances. There are a variety of reasons that dance may have been incorporated. Some cultures believed dance was a way of communicating themselves and the magic of their ancestors. I do believe it has a tie in to the power they wield and perhaps is a ritual that is meant to garner their success, victory, and strength in coming challenges.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I think dancing is featured in many novels. Not just the recent ones. I've read books with dancing as a central part of it that ranges from self-help books to novels. I think Tysz appreciates the quality dance brings either in real life or in novels. Or maybe both.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html

Post by Eriny Youssef »

ClaZig wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:51 I found the strong presence of dance intriguing as well. I believe that, by including dance in important events, Tysz highlights its cultural importance. Furthermore, dance seems to be a factor of unity, since both sides of a long lasting conflict, the aristocracy and Riva Rohavi, seem to value it.
Something that caught my attention as well was the two opposite contexts in which the author describes dancing: celebration and war.
I agree. Dance always brings an edge to the parts it is added to. Celebration and war are the two prominent instances where dance was a major part. Ceremonious, spiritual, ritualistic... it's what dance brings about.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I also noticed the dancing in all Tysz' books, it is an interesting concept that I would love to know the story behind it from the author himself.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Tysz does use a lot of dance to distinguish the people in the book. Already one knows when you read of a dancing army, it is the Riva Rohavi and not the Mianora. Dance to the Riva was probably to summon the energy and bring focus. I believe one feels more energized than tired after dancing.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:41 Perhaps Tysz just like dancing :eusa-think:? He has another series, and the characters in there like to dance, too.
I think that is just it, Tysz is just expressing him self in those Dances.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The wild and rhythmic dancing seems to conjure up the image of losing control and falling under some sort of supernatural spell. It builds the characters up to a frenzy, and consequently makes them act instinctively - whether it be to slaughter or to celebrate - acting almost like a drug. I think it’s an interesting technique used by this author, especially when he often uses it in other books as well. It seems to have become a ‘trademark’ of his.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

Dancing is actually an underappreciated art, I feel. There is an emotional connection that you can feel just by watching a dancer's performance. As a fan of kpop, I understand this connection, as every popular kpop song is accompanied by complex choreography that adds an extra layer of depth to the song itself. It's no wonder that Matthew Tysz taps into this power of dancing in his books and enhances it.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

Just as the present day dancing is a way of expressing oneself. Tysz has clearly shown the way people of voulhire expresses themselves through dance. And the music wa perfect
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 10:19
Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:41 Perhaps Tysz just like dancing :eusa-think:? He has another series, and the characters in there like to dance, too.
Yes, indeed, I also read the other series! I'd like to see him dance :)
Lol! If this ever happens, please let me know, I want to see him dance too.

I think Tysz includes the dance as a representation of culture, and because he is interested in dance especially.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Dance is by all accounts a factor of solidarity, since the two sides of a dependable clash, the nobility and Riva Rohavi, appear to reach it.
Something that grabbed my eye also was the two inverse settings in which the creator depicts moving: festival and war.Making dance can be an approach to make a daze, which I think would have absolutely assisted keep with peopling going. That could go for an assault or a festival. I trust it very well may be an incredible, social device.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”