War of The Minds.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Larkspur
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

War of The Minds.

Post by Larkspur »

In the book, the Mianora council, the king and other leaders all have a mental war over power. They all seek to have the most control over Voulhire. Who do you think is the person seeking power the most and who actually deserves it?
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

I think Meldorath is seeking power the most since he is actually trying to make it to Caromentis. I'm not convinced any of them deserve power, so I am glad that they are in a well-balanced system where they need the others' cooperation to legally make decisions. If anyone did deserve power, I think it was Eldus, but alas, he is no more. And who knows, perhaps power would have corrupted him.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:14 In the book, the Mianora council, the king and other leaders all have a mental war over power. They all seek to have the most control over Voulhire. Who do you think is the person seeking power the most and who actually deserves it?
I am Team Wilhelm :) The king is a good person and a good ruler, but the enemies are all around him.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Ellylion wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:11
Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:14 In the book, the Mianora council, the king and other leaders all have a mental war over power. They all seek to have the most control over Voulhire. Who do you think is the person seeking power the most and who actually deserves it?
I am Team Wilhelm :) The king is a good person and a good ruler, but the enemies are all around him.
Ellylion, I wouldn't be Team Wilhelm for long, if you know what I mean. Wilhelm Arcolo is a good king, but not a shrewd or critical one.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Reader 05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-05.html

Post by Reader 05 »

Krista Ash wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 15:03 I think Meldorath is seeking power the most since he is actually trying to make it to Caromentis. I'm not convinced any of them deserve power, so I am glad that they are in a well-balanced system where they need the others' cooperation to legally make decisions. If anyone did deserve power, I think it was Eldus, but alas, he is no more. And who knows, perhaps power would have corrupted him.
I agree, Eldus would have deserved the power and as you mentioned, he is dead. Besides from Eldus there is no one that would deserve it. The King doesn't seem like he is very important and doesn't seem like he would use the power wisely.

:techie-studyinggray:
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

rahilshajahan wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:47
Ellylion wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:11
Ellylion, I wouldn't be Team Wilhelm for long, if you know what I mean. Wilhelm Arcolo is a good king, but not a shrewd or critical one.
From Book 1, my impression of Wilhelm was that he was fairly shrewd, but perhaps the pressure from Maido and others will bring an end to that. Wilhelm seems to have surrounded himself with good friends, like Eldus, which does help his ruling abilities. After the Hillport attack, though, his supporters will probably all leave him.
PhoeNyxFrost
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenyxfrost.html

Post by PhoeNyxFrost »

I think the most power-hungry of all would be the Riva Rohavi (or the "Host") if I consider the whole characters in book 1. They have expressed how much they wanted to take over Voulhire time and again. Maido just wants to twist a person's life, seeing the injustices just for the fun of it was his pastime and it so happens that the King is one of those people. Meldorath for me is just a person addicted to knowledge, he wants to learn more- especially things unknown to the normal world, he wants to reach heights that were never before seen and he doesn't care about Voulhire, its rules and its people or its authorities (and so the mysterious imprisonment). The King is too unaware to be someone who should be in power or who wants power. Eldus is a humble person who deserves the world and probably the only one who deserves power because he actually cares.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I think Meldorath sought for power the most in the book. He wouldn't have killed Eldus unjustly if it were not so, and take over the governorship of Hillport again. I wished power was given to lord Eldus, he would have made better use of it. However, since he died, I wish power is given to Galen, he seemed like the only other sincere character.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

PhoeNyxFrost wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 09:02 I think the most power-hungry of all would be the Riva Rohavi (or the "Host") if I consider the whole characters in book 1. They have expressed how much they wanted to take over Voulhire time and again. Maido just wants to twist a person's life, seeing the injustices just for the fun of it was his pastime and it so happens that the King is one of those people. Meldorath for me is just a person addicted to knowledge, he wants to learn more- especially things unknown to the normal world, he wants to reach heights that were never before seen and he doesn't care about Voulhire, its rules and its people or its authorities (and so the mysterious imprisonment). The King is too unaware to be someone who should be in power or who wants power. Eldus is a humble person who deserves the world and probably the only one who deserves power because he actually cares.
That's an interesting point that Meldorath is primarily interested in knowledge and that he will do whatever he can to learn more (even torturing other people). I wonder if his imprisonment has changed him and made him decide to use his knowledge for revenge on what he sees as a betrayal from Wilhelm.
PhoeNyxFrost
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenyxfrost.html

Post by PhoeNyxFrost »

Krista Ash wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 15:37
PhoeNyxFrost wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 09:02 I think the most power-hungry of all would be the Riva Rohavi (or the "Host") if I consider the whole characters in book 1. They have expressed how much they wanted to take over Voulhire time and again. Maido just wants to twist a person's life, seeing the injustices just for the fun of it was his pastime and it so happens that the King is one of those people. Meldorath for me is just a person addicted to knowledge, he wants to learn more- especially things unknown to the normal world, he wants to reach heights that were never before seen and he doesn't care about Voulhire, its rules and its people or its authorities (and so the mysterious imprisonment). The King is too unaware to be someone who should be in power or who wants power. Eldus is a humble person who deserves the world and probably the only one who deserves power because he actually cares.
That's an interesting point that Meldorath is primarily interested in knowledge and that he will do whatever he can to learn more (even torturing other people). I wonder if his imprisonment has changed him and made him decide to use his knowledge for revenge on what he sees as a betrayal from Wilhelm.
Yes! I am immensely intrigued as to how it happened, together with the details of his imprisonment. If we read his POV compared with Wilhelm's POV they both have a point in justifying their actions and both sounded wronged by one another. There might have been a misunderstanding or whatnot but I would not disregard the fact that Meldorath was Wilhem's once great friend and his most trusted general who helped him in protecting Voulhire as well as the fact that Meldorath has a tendency to disregard morality for his pursuit of knowledge.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I think it is probably Meldorath that seeks the most power but Maido from the Mianora council isnt very far behind. As for who actually deserves it, I think it is far too soon to tell, and it will probaly be noone in the end. They seemed to all have the potential for darkness so I dont really trust any of them.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

I don't think there's anyone that is seeking the 'most' power because each of them want power to a certain degree. I also don't think Lprd Meldorath wants power. If not, he would have had the crown. In a play of politics, there's really no one that deserves power. Those who can take it, do.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

I think Lord Meldorath was the most character seeking for power. The revenge that's moving him is one of the most dangerous ambitions for power.
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

Chancellor Midius Maido is the one who seeks more power over the other leaders. He lets hillport to be attacked because he wants to lower wilhelm's power. I think king Wilhelm deserves the power.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I think the person seeking power the most is the Riva Rohavi. I honestly didn't understand what they stand for. Why go against Wilhelm and cause war? What's with their dancing anyway. I honestly can't decide who deserves power over Voulhire.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”